Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers?

+3
Blue Hill Farm
ipf
decourseyD
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:07 am

decourseyD

decourseyD
New Here

I've been actively researching good all-around best laying chickens. I enjoy the broody nature of some of the breeds, and have successfully let a few mother hens raise a clutch of chicks. But....I would like to have a breed that does not go broody, and lays consistently. What do we know about Plymouth rocks?

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There is a lot of variation within breeds, and in most cases more than between breeds. So one line of Rocks may lay very well, and another, less so. None will lay as well as breeds or hybrids that have been bred for egg production (white leghorns, ISA browns, red rocks).

In general the Mediterranean breeds (including leghorns) don't go broody. Other breeds tend to, sometimes. Again, lots of variation within the breed.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^ Yep. The Rocks I had where a combination of production and exhibition lines and were as good of layers as they were beautiful. I also have a BR hen who looks to have leghorn blood back in her ancestry somewhere. She is the best broody/mama I could wish for, as well as a good layer when she's not busy acting all butch. lol

4Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:01 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

5Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:42 pm

vic's chicks

We have several breeds and our barred rocks are definitely the best layers. For some reason though they are my least favourites. The eggs are pretty light coloured(I like brown eggs). They are not overly friendly like the buff sussex but are easy to be around. If my main goal was egg laying I would definitely pick them. I might try some buff rocks next year.

6Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:53 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think someone should develop a comb warmer for winter wear!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

7Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tara has a good point about those honking huge combs Rocks sport. They're not exactly well suited for the harsh prairie winters. This is the main reason I no longer have BR's anymore. (Sniff) I LOVED my Rocks, but HATED seeing my beautiful boys suffer from frostbite no matter what I did (short of moving them into the basement, which I actually did do one year but that did not go over well with my other half to say the least. Anyone who tells you roos only crow in the morning hasn't house a few overnight, haha) One day in the hopefully not too distance future I will have my heated dream barn and then will keep a flock of Barred Plymouth Rocks again. They are such beautiful birds imo.

Last edited by Flicker Chick on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:59 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

heda gobbler wrote:I think someone should develop a comb warmer for winter wear!

Totally! Laughing 

9Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:02 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The comb thing is one reason I only have Buckeyes and White Chanteclers now. I have a little heated coop where the last of the Golden Seabright hens live in the winter.

I keep seeing fabulous breeds with fabulous big single combs. And look away...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

10Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:08 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Same thing with my Ameraucanas...ya can't really beat a pea or cushion comb when living in cold climes that's for sure.

I so hear you about looking away from some really cool breeds... probably for the best though lol Money Throw

11Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

12Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:40 pm

decourseyD

decourseyD
New Here

I so so so enjoy this forum!! You guys are just great at answering questions! Love it! I have been told I may enjoy sussex by a fellow chicken person...I'll have to investigate further. I have this GREAT chicken book - chicken encyclopedia, if you will. I will never regret it's purchase. Ever. It's called Storey's Illustrated Guide To Poultry Breeds. In this book, it says the sussex is a meat bird. But still lay a fairly good number of eggs. It also says they are good being confined, and are gentle. Sound accurate?

13Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 pm

I would say ISA browns. They WILL go broody on a hidden clutch of 24 eggs, so beeee careful *Mumbles about bantams hiding eggs*

14Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:21 pm

decourseyD

decourseyD
New Here

ISA Browns? I'm sorry...I'm not sure I know what this stands for?

15Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:20 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The standard hybrid high production layer that you find in feed stores - a sex link cross, marketed by one of those giant multinational poultry companies.

16Plymouth Rocks?  Are these good layers? Empty Re: Plymouth Rocks? Are these good layers? Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:50 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

decourseyD wrote: Storey's Illustrated Guide To Poultry Breeds.  

order request placed at library!! cant wait until it comes in, I love looking at the pictures and reading the descriptions---especially comparing those to the ones I have owned, just to see for curiosity's sake

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum