Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

That old barred Plymouth rock gal

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1That old barred Plymouth rock gal Empty That old barred Plymouth rock gal Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:29 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yep, not sure if you would call her old, but she is aging, along with her pal, another of the same breed. These gals have been around now for 2 plus years. They were a couple I got from the co-op in our old town. Hatchery stock, from McMurrays. Nothing to look at, just your typical hatchery stock, but oh such lovely gals. They are so friendly, and still bump up to sit on my lap. The one that the buckeye roosters really like has quite a number of feathers missing on her back, not enough that she requires a saddle, but you can see she is a favourite, smiling. The other one, well, they could give two hoots about. The favourite one still is laying an egg every day, never fail, along with the buckeyes, that just don't stop either. Her egg is a totally different shape than the buckeye, so I can ascertain her eggs. Still thinking I should be incubating her eggs, bet she would give some very nice offspring, females of course, great laying capacity, with the massive breast of the buckeye (and laying capacity too). Wonder if offspring may set records even more than recorded of the Australorpe, which I recall reading one had laid 367 or something like that eggs in one year, smiling. Anyways, that is not what I am speaking of, but may still incubate one day to get a great egg layer/meat bird, one never knows.

The gal that the roosters don't give a hoot about was a whammer. For the summer she laid a beautiful double yolker every day. About a month ago, she stopped laying. Not moulting, still is fully intact with all her feathers. She just doesn't lay anymore. She is going to live out her life here, those two gals are inseparable, guess breeds go with breeds, eh?

Oh brother, this tendency to ramble, what on earth is with me Laughing . Opinions required. These are not old gals by the way that "old" means. But would the thought be that because she laid every day a double yolker, that she has used up all the ovum and will not lay anymore eggs. I am very curious about this. I understand that pullets are born with thousands upon thousands of ovum, but is this her last of the egg laying years? Curoisity never once got this cat Cool Have that beautiful and wonderful day, CynthiaM.

2That old barred Plymouth rock gal Empty Re: That old barred Plymouth rock gal Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:43 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cynthia I just love how you describe your animals, such an image you create.
I don't think your less favorite hen of the roosters has used up all the ovums, I think she might be just taking a break. I find with the older girls they tend to become more seasonal layers, laying well in the spring and summer but taking the fall and winter's off. Could be just the cooler nights, shorter days are setting her clock to off for now.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3That old barred Plymouth rock gal Empty Re: That old barred Plymouth rock gal Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden, I love how you luv me, meaning my ramblin's about things....I love how I can, I love how I can impart my thoughts, and I love when people listen and enjoy. Now where in the heck was I going with this, smiling? I think that gal may be taking a break, only knows how she actually deserves this. Picture ovulating with a double EVERY month, smiling, that would certainly be a something else, love tomorrow, love today, and forget yesterday, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum