Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

An Amazing Will to Live!

+3
uno
authenticfarm
Schipperkesue
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1An Amazing Will to Live! Empty An Amazing Will to Live! Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:54 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My last hatch was finished and 24 hours had passed.  Time to take the unhatched eggs and shells out of the hatcher.  Wait a minute....what is that?  Peeping!  I held a couple eggs to my ear and quickly found the culprit.  The egg had not even pipped.  What to do?  Well, I figured I didn't have anything to lose so with a little pressure I cracked open the egg to reveal a dry membrane.  I moistened it a little and the little guy inside was squirming like crazy.  Here goes nothing, and with that I pulled away a bit of the membrane.  Blood poured out of the egg.  Darn, well that did it, dead for sure now.  I put the opened egg in a carton and popped it back in the hatcher and went to bed expecting to throw out a dead chick the next day.

I didn't even look as I got my breakfast ready and just before I left I heard a faint peep from the hatcher.  Could it be?  Yes!  This dry bloody chick was still curled up in the shell, peeping for all he was worth.  I took him out and ran the water warm, eased him out of the shell and washed him off.  Amazingly enough he was pretty strong.  I grabbed a paper towel, placed him on it and popped him back in the hatcher and headed off to work.  I finally got home tonight at 10:00 and there he is, standing tall and proud, alone in the hatcher, proclaiming his victory over certain death.

And what breed do you think he is?  A crossbred chick full of hybrid vigor?  Not a chance.  He is one of the LF white Cornish... A breed I expected would need a little coddling.  Well, not the first time I have been presently wrong!

2An Amazing Will to Live! Empty Re: An Amazing Will to Live! Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:07 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Go chickie!!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3An Amazing Will to Live! Empty Re: An Amazing Will to Live! Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:15 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Caesarean delivery produces healthy chick. Go SoCaesareanSue!

4An Amazing Will to Live! Empty Re: An Amazing Will to Live! Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:49 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

5An Amazing Will to Live! Empty Re: An Amazing Will to Live! Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:25 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrates Nurse Sue. Very Happy 
I went through that myself recently. Know how it feels when what you dreadfully think will happen doesn't. It turns out wonderful. Feels great.
That chick was meant to happen.

6An Amazing Will to Live! Empty Re: An Amazing Will to Live! Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:43 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

So great to hear some good news about a chick.  And isn't it wonderful that you can break the rules and still get fluffy cuteness?!

7An Amazing Will to Live! Empty Re: An Amazing Will to Live! Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:28 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

wow, way to go! I'm with Tara, name him V for vigor and make many more...cyclops

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum