Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help! Baby Wild Duck. Need advice

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Help! Baby Wild Duck. Need advice Empty Help! Baby Wild Duck. Need advice Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

The neighbour drove his lawn tractor over this afternoon and handed a little baby duck to Dana. He siad that the momma was there a couple of days ago, but the hawks picked off most of the babies. the other day he saw the hawk chaising momma. He figures this baby has been alone for 3 days. It is baby baby, all fuzz and not very big. The baby was trying to follow his lawn tractor... (cue the water works! Sad )

So he drove his lawn tractor over and handed over the duckling. Dana put him into a cooler with a lttle canned cat food and some water. He is a sad ducky, escept when being held. I have a goose with a 1 month old monster gosling, but no ducks at all. I have a silkie that will mother just about anything. He must have been eating SOMETHING, he cant have gone 3 days with out eating and be this strong.

Can I put him in a tractor with a silkie to mother him? He would have grass and a little bit of water. I cant oil him up so we will have to limit the water quantity.

Should we give him chick starter> just grass? what do we do?

Oh. As he is presently living in a cooler, we are calling him COLEMAN.

Chick Help

2Help! Baby Wild Duck. Need advice Empty Re: Help! Baby Wild Duck. Need advice Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:41 pm

If it's a wild one as you say then it would most likly be a diver ( feeding underwater ) and will need to be by a pond I would think ? It will eat grass's ,bugs etc so if you have a chicken that will adopt it then it will copy what she shows them ? Hope someone else will give you a better answer

3Help! Baby Wild Duck. Need advice Empty Re: Help! Baby Wild Duck. Need advice Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:07 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

We hatched a wild duck egg once and fed the baby on chick starter. She did just fine, grew fast, and was ready for rerelease in late summer.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4Help! Baby Wild Duck. Need advice Empty Re: Help! Baby Wild Duck. Need advice Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:15 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Articsun I raised 1 once and fed him/her unmedicated chick starter and water just as I would my other duck babies. The baby grew fast and they should be released on a pond with other ducks just before all the flight feathers are in. Just as with other ducks it should have access to water in a pan or dish. Good luck with Coleman

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum