Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Broody hens question

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Broody hens question Empty Broody hens question Thu May 02, 2013 10:35 am

BirdBrain

New Here

I have two broody hens set up in a chicken tractor. Wilma, a GLW, just had 12 fertile EO eggs put under her last nite. Gigi, a Cuckoo, will have eggs put under her in the next day or so.

Is it okay to have two Mom's in the tractor together?

Will they fight and maybe be territorial with their babies?

Will the cuckoo want off her eggs once the EO eggs hatch?

So many questions?!! I have only tried hatching once (last year) with a hen, the only hen that was broody at the time.)

Thanks!

2Broody hens question Empty Re: Broody hens question Thu May 02, 2013 10:46 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Good questions. I have 2 LS hens brooding side by side under the cow shed and was wondering some of these same things.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

3Broody hens question Empty Re: Broody hens question Thu May 02, 2013 11:09 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had two broody hens set up together last year and one hen's clutch hatched first and one of the little chicks wandered over to the other setting broody and the broody attempted to whack it in the head with its beak but missed fortunately because it was a silkie with fluff in front of her eyes that threw her aim off. I pulled her out of there right away and even took her eggs away as I was not in a position to set her up in another crate. As a result I wouldn't put two together again. But having said that, I believe CynthiaM puts her mamas together and hasn't had issues.

Are you there CynthiaM?

And I don't know if one clutch hatches first if it will take the other broody off hers prematurely but I can see how a chick would take to another mama close by and want under...

4Broody hens question Empty Re: Broody hens question Thu May 02, 2013 12:19 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have had moms be great together and other moms that take all the babies for themselves. I think it is personality thing, so I make them watch dr. phil before the cohabitate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum