Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Angel wing?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Angel wing? Empty Angel wing? Thu May 26, 2011 9:07 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I so wanted duckies, but I am stressed out about them. I've had them nearly two weeks now and I'm afraid one is developing angel wing. If this is the case, what do I do? I'm feeding them duck grower which has 17 or 18% protein. I that too much?
Angel wing? DSC_0088
[IMG]https://2img.net/h/i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j366/rtatt90/DSC_0087.jpg[/IMG
]Angel wing? DSC_0075

2Angel wing? Empty Re: Angel wing? Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sometimes when the wings start growing feathers they will tip out like that. If it is angel wing it will continue to tip out, some people have taped the wing flat against the body and leave it like that for a couple weeks.
I never have had an issue with these bantam ducks but I have with Muscovy and never caught them fast enough to fix them.
Hopefully someone that has dealt with it and fixed the problem will jump in and help you out.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Angel wing? Empty Re: Angel wing? Fri May 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

If it were me, I’d wait a few days to see if it corrects itself. Some wing droopiness is normal, especially when the feathers first start coming in. If not,then I'd tape the wings and hopefully that will correct the issue. But I would not use that particular duck for breeding.

I dealt with angel wing in one of my goslings last year and even with taping the wings (3 times no less) the problem was never fully fixed. When I asked for advice from waterfowl experts I was told this:

It's not necessarily just too much protein, but a combination of too much protein, too much sugar and not enough manganese? (I think. Sorry it's early.) But here's the funny part of the situation- you can have 10 goslings eating the same feed and only 1 ends up with angel wing. So how come only 1 got it and the rest are fine? Why are Africans more prone to it than Toulouses? There is a hypothesis that angel wing is in fact a genetic condition with a dietary trigger. If you believe that then angel wing could be eliminated in geese by selective breeding- culling out any birds with signs of it. If you remove birds with the defective genes it theoretically shouldn't matter what you feed your birds. They will not have the condition.

In the end, without further research nobody truly knows what causes angel wing.

Good luck with your ducky.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum