Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can a chick survive with only one wing?

+4
Fowler
KatuskiFarms
cbrookkelly
smokyriver
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Can a chick survive with only one wing? Empty Can a chick survive with only one wing? Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:11 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a little one hatch that hatched with only one wing. He is walking around, eats, drinks, and seems fine. I actually did not notice until one of the other chicks flipped him upsidedown. When I righted him I noticed the lack of the wing as he stuck out his one wing. I then checked him over closely, and he just never developed that wing. Can he survive this way to butchering age? Has anyone else ever had this happen?

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Never had a missing wing....if he is eating and doing what the others are doing I guess he could make it just fine.

I just hatched a chick with his brain on the outside....yep, quite awful. When I went to take him out he could only spin around in circles on his side...definitely had to cull, poor thing. Another hatch a while back had a chick emerge and dry up and act quite normal...went to take out the hatching basket and discovered he had only half a face....another quick cull. It has been a VERY weird year. Never had I had anything this unusual....

3Can a chick survive with only one wing? Empty Yes, we just had cross-beak chick... :( Sun May 01, 2011 12:29 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Our first hatch last week and all was well, except for the last buff orp egg. No pip, but chirping since the day before. I finally decided to crack the egg and figure out what the problem was, and he couldn't pip because of a terrible cross beak. Also was missing one eye. He had been trying to pip with his lower beak, and had worn off the tip by doing so. Anyway he dried off and was completely perfect, except for those minor details. He has been culled, and it was a sad affair.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Does he have the right wing? If so, he should do very well under the new government.

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:Does he have the right wing? If so, he should do very well under the new government.

Naaa,poor little guy is a left winger! LOL

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

smokyriver wrote:
Fowler wrote:Does he have the right wing? If so, he should do very well under the new government.

Naaa,poor little guy is a left winger! LOL

Oh dear.

Well, give him four years and maybe he'll come around.

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Can you post a picture of him ?

You can call him Lefty Very Happy

Shocked Don't let Colonel Sanders find out!! Shocked Maybe your babe is an escapee from the *Test Labs* at KFC... lol!

Sushi

You should keep him til he grows up, then take him to Wing joints around town and tell them he wants his wing back and he's suing them. Laughing

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

You should name him Jack Layton. Laughing

Hey, you could probably get him in the news with that story. lol!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum