Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

what do you write on your eggs with

+9
Piet
rosewood
foal0069
Schipperkesue
CynthiaM
ipf
coopslave
ChicoryFarm
Rasilon
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1what do you write on your eggs with Empty what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The three eggs that were given to me were written on with marker. i try to use pen because I thought that the marker wouldn't be good. I can't stand the smell of them . What do you all use to mark your eggs?
Thanks Geri

2what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:43 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pencil.

I read somewhere that any form of ink is absorbed to some extent into the shell.

3what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:46 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:Pencil.

I read somewhere that any form of ink is absorbed to some extent into the shell.

Yep, I had a very old time poultry man tell me never to use anything but pencil and that is what I have done for the last 15 years!

4what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:47 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yup, pencil. Pure benign carbon, nothing nasty or toxic.

5what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well maybe thats my problem but my freind that used the marker hatches lots of eggs . Can you use colored pencils that way yiou could use a diffent color for different hens.
Geri

6what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:17 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you mean different colours to distinguish different breeds of eggs, just write the first letter of the breed on top with the numbered day. So if it's an Orpington, you'd write the letter 'O' and then '29' for today's day.

Is that what you mean?

7what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:22 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I did a test with one half of the barnvelder eggs that I hatched out recently. I use a permanent black sharpie. Put a B on the eggs that I wanted to mark, using this permanent ink black sharpie pen. Absolutely made no difference, whatsoever. Exactly all the eggs that had the permanent ink marker on them hatched out and are healthy. Exactly all the eggs that did not have permanent ink marker, but had pencil hatched out and are healthy. I have always used a permanent sharpie pen and have found that absolutely this does not affect health nor ability for the chicks to come to full hatch. I have been doing this for years and have never had an issue. Not to say that perhaps if I had only used pencil, the hatches may have been better. But seriously. I doubt it. Sorry. That is me and I hate to go against what others may chime in as. But I have first hand knowledge during my last hatch with the test trial of permanent black sharpie and penciled eggs, of the same breed made absolutely no difference in hatch nor health of chicks. I will always mark with the permanent marker as I know exactly what I am seeing and it is clearly visible. Have wonderful days, CynthiaM.

8what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sharpie! Makes no difference in hatching and does not wear off.

9what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:48 pm

foal0069

I actually use a carpenters pencil, so when I make a mistake I can do some fixing and it dosen't looks quite so bad lol

10what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use pencil. Occasionally I end up bringing unused eggs in for eating especially when the well house is around the same temperature as the fridge. Pencil washes off when the eggs are cleaned. I set these eggs apart for personal use.

11what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I used to use pencil, but now use a permanent black marker pen and works great. Easy to mark and read, no difference in hatching.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

12what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:59 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

13what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:00 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The question was "what do you use?" not "are you convinced other methods are bad?" I'm quite sure than pencil is benign; I don't know about other methods. Maybe they're harmless, maybe not. Good to gather info, and we can all make our own decisions.

One good thing about pencil is that, if nobody goes broody within a couple of days, you can wipe/rub the pencilled date off and add the egg back into your "for sale" pool . I keep 6-12 eggs every day at this time of year for possible hatchers; every day I add new ones and turn the older ones (only a couple of days old, I assure you) back into the "sell" pool.

14what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:18 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf wrote:One good thing about pencil is that, if nobody goes broody within a couple of days, you can wipe/rub the pencilled date off and add the egg back into your "for sale" pool . I keep 6-12 eggs every day at this time of year for possible hatchers; every day I add new ones and turn the older ones (only a couple of days old, I assure you) back into the "sell" pool.

Excellent POINT ipf......pardon the pun. That is the advantage. That's an additional 10 points for pencil users. Ink users......4, pencil users.......15.

Laughing

15what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 pm

I also use sharpie. I started with it because it's the only thing I had on hand, and just find it easier to read.

16what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:24 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm a sharpie girl too. Same thing didn't have anything else at the time. I can have a brain like a sive on certain days so its best if I jot down quickly what I want before it literally goes to the birds [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

17what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:21 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pencil for me. I like to keep my erase options wide open. Razz

18what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:23 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

19what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:29 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

He was a landfowl man. I think you are right with the waterfowl, but of course I have no experience with them because I am not ALLOWED to have them......hrmph.....

I haven't had trouble under broodies or punching holes in the eggs. The thought hadn't crossed my mind, but watch, now it will happen because I am thinking about it. I have to say often the egg pencil isn't all that sharp. I just keep using it until it is to the wood and then I have to sharpen it again.

Those crayon things your Gran was talking about I used a lot when I treated horses. I could mark them with it and then the owners could just wash them off. They would work I think, but they were usually pretty thick, the ones I used anyways.

20what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:41 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

21what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon May 06, 2013 2:42 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I always use pencil. Breed on the top and when I put egg in the incubator I add the expected hatching day. I hand turn most eggs so have x's and o's on the sides as well.

Now when moving birds and wanting them to lay in new nests etc I use permanent marker on the eggs I use so that the old eggs don't get picked up accidentally. Only the new unmarked eggs get collected leaving a nest with marked eggs so girls continue to lay in the new nest.

22what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon May 06, 2013 2:53 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

*Ahem* I have just noticed the title of this topic ends in a preposition! GASP!

Please could we change the title to: "With what do you write on your eggs?" Now, doesn't that sound better?

23what do you write on your eggs with Empty Re: what do you write on your eggs with Mon May 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

no

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum