Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

lump on my chickens foot??

+5
KatuskiFarms
uno
bcboy
KathyS
bigrock
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1lump on my chickens foot?? Empty lump on my chickens foot?? Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:58 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i have a chicken health question for you. One of my silver laced wyandotte hens i noticed was limping today..so i caught her and had a look at her foot, and there is a large growth off the one side of her inner toe and seems hardened under the ball of her foot?..she didn't squawk when i squeezed it slightly and then applied more pressure..but i have to admit, i do not know what a chicken would do if they felt pain...so, any idea what this might be...it was kind of pinkish color and about the size of a large pea...like the really large ones that you kind of don't want to eat cause they might be bitter...

2lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:03 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

You may have to lance it and squeeze out the lumpy infection that will likely be under the skin. I found out last year that chickens don't get the same runny pus like other animals and people in their legs and feet. It solidifies into a lump, so it doesn't squeeze out unless you make a small incision.
It could have been a small cut or something that poked her foot that initially caused the infection to start.
There are pictures on here somewhere under a thread about bumblefoot that I posted quite a while back. I'll try to find it.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:10 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

This link has some pictures, not great quality, but you get the idea. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

4lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:24 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Last edited by bcboy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

5lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:24 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Okay..okay..BCKev, you got me. You got me good. Is that you in the video? Is that someone from this site making that video? Let me just put this out there right now. Had I witnessed, first hand, someone doing this surgery, I would have PUNCHED THEM RIGHT IN THE FACE AS HARD AS I COULD!

Honest to Gordon there is NO EXCUSE for that kind of bull crap! What a butcher job! Each and every time that knife went into that bird, there was pain. BIG PAIN! You can bet your socks! What was that IDIOT doing hacking and slicing?

I have done surgery on a chicken and let me tell you there was no happy hacking away at the same tissue over and over and over like my brains had been sucked out by aliens! Oh my Gordon! I am so mad!

If you want to lance a boil, you slice that puppy, then go in the opening with tweezers to remove the obviously nasty infection. But to start carving it out the bottom, over and over and over. FAIL!

I am not very squeamish, but that was offensive and in my mind, abusive. ONE slice. ONE. Then get on with removal by squeezing or tweezing. But that? That was just abuse. Sorry to offend anyone. Wait..maybe I'm not! Maybe you ought to sit on a Dr's table while he does that to a corn on your foot, UNFROZEN! See how you feel about it then.

Bigrock, no one will hold it against you if you lance and drain your bird's foot. Just make sure you're doing it quickly, carefully and as minimally as possible. This is a remake of Chainsaw Massacre, poultry style. There is no excuse for this.

6lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:58 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I only see one video posted. Didn't look too bad to me; pretty fancy for a rooster I'd say. Uno must have been having a hot flash during the anesthesia scene or something. Smile

7lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:27 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Katuski farms, I am hoping to Gordon you are correct and there is an anesthetic scene because if there is I missed it. ANd that is the ONLY way anyone should hack an animal like that..if it is frozen (local anesthetic) or unconscious!

Thanks for alerting me to the fact that I missed something. Must watch again, although to be honest I'm a quite squeamed out by it. Didn't get through it all before the outrage (hot flash sunny ) set in.

8lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:02 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I lanced a lump on the side of a hen's shank the other day. I had a sharp box cutter so I held her between my legs, gave the thing a quick and decisive splice, and out spurted all sorts of lovely clotted blood and yellowy goop. I ran my fingers down her leg and pushed and squeezed all the gunk out, cleaned it with some fresh snow, and let her go. If it returns I will go out with a box cutter and some hibitaine next time.

She never even flinched through the whole operation.

9lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

BigRock, ya for sure, sounds like that problem called bumblefoot. You will need to clean it and lance it, as others have told you (not like that video, I am with Uno, that was a deed indeed, awful). Clean out the geep in there and then pack it. But I would pack it with unpastuerized honey and then cover over with vet wrap. I think that link that KathyS put on from another chicken forum was fabulous and she surely did a great job of showing how she dealt with the bird's foot. Not a nice thing to do, but she probably stepped on something sharp like a thorn and it is imbedded in there, or maybe just got hurt and it is now infected. Chickens do not experience pain, such as we know pain to be. This will need to be dealt with. I have never dealt with it, so can't even help you. But reach for the honey for packing, before any type of antibiotic. Go naturally, I know you believe in this way of life. Good luck, have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

10lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:20 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

And it's important you tend to it regularly. I'd do a daily cleaning until it is obviously healed. It's the dirtiest part of a chicken's body for obvious reasons.

Good luck.

11lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:01 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

will wonders never cease, surgery for a rooster, I need a better paying job.

12lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:48 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

took the thing out today, i had to excise a good portion of it,just to get the kernal out...but the hen is already walking better, packed it with honey, and we will watch her..thanks for the suggestions.

13lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:53 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wonderful, these things we do for love. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

14lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Thats not the same video I watched at first *Nod*

15lump on my chickens foot?? Empty Re: lump on my chickens foot?? Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:02 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Do I have to lance the top where it is coming in between the toes?...or just at the foot pad? It just seems very difficult to get everything out from the bottom...and i did. But there was then a fair amt of blood and the lump by the toe filled up with blood...any other advice?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum