Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sand in cold climates

+2
Blue Hill Farm
Schipperkesue
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sand in cold climates Empty Sand in cold climates Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:52 pm

This year has been HORRENDOUS as most people in the prairies know.

Though my coop is on the top end of a downward slope and despite all of the windows being wide open (even with the wind causing gusts inside the coop), the hay and pine shavings I have continued to put down and dig out are soaked within 3 days. One of our lovely members pinned a link about the 1 minute clean-up coop, which is bedded with sand.

I researched this before I got chickens, and moved away from the concept of sand due to it being a diffuser of heat, rather than incubator. However, the girls being cold is one thing, cold and wet is a completely different story. I'm wondering, if I bed down the base of the dirt floor with a nice, thick layer of hay and do the same to the sides of the wall to make a hay-type box, then fill it with sand, would it be too much of a detriment to the girls in 40 below.

In colder weather, I could possibly pile on a layer of hay, which would be easy to clean out if it got damp in the spring time like this again.

Opinions? I'm just thinking cold is better than cold and wet.

2Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cold and dry is better than cold and wet. Cold and wet is better than warm and wet. Warm and dry is better than warm and wet too.

3Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Schipperkesue wrote:Cold and dry is better than cold and wet. Cold and wet is better than warm and wet. Warm and dry is better than warm and wet too.

Right, that was my thinking. Unfortunately, my thinking also trails along the lines of not providing winter heat, which means warm and dry is not feasible, except in summer, when sand would help things stay dry in the warmth.

I think I shall be getting construction sand this year!

4Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:37 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened, do you have a poop board under your roosts to catch night time droppings? I'm asking because I find having one really helps cut down on mess/moisture in the coop, thereby keeping the birds litter dryer for alot longer. And it only takes minutes a day to keep clean. I'll never be without one again. I use a mixture of Stall-Dry and all natural kitty litter on mine and just scoop the poop every morning. Am going to try adding sand to the mix and see if I can make the Stall-Dry go a little farther. Wish I had a pic to show you...

OK, here's a link with TONS of pics and info about poop boards. Probably more than anyone wants to know... Laughing
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures

5Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:27 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Are you using Hay or Straw? Big difference there. Hay seems to have higher moisture content and is not good for bedding. My coop has trouble with condensation. It's the heat exchange that causes moisture to bead on the floor.

6Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:02 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Flicker Chick wrote:Sweetened, do you have a poop board under your roosts to catch night time droppings? I'm asking because I find having one really helps cut down on mess/moisture in the coop, thereby keeping the birds litter dryer for alot longer. And it only takes minutes a day to keep clean. I'll never be without one again. I use a mixture of Stall-Dry and all natural kitty litter on mine and just scoop the poop every morning. Am going to try adding sand to the mix and see if I can make the Stall-Dry go a little farther. Wish I had a pic to show you...

OK, here's a link with TONS of pics and info about poop boards. Probably more than anyone wants to know... Laughing
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures

I plan on doing the poop board thing in my coop, too - glad to hear it's working well for you!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

7Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks Flicker, I was considering these as well. I, however, have several ground roosting birds, for whatever reason. But, this will definitely be a consideration.

KatuskiFarms wrote:Are you using Hay or Straw? Big difference there. Hay seems to have higher moisture content and is not good for bedding. My coop has trouble with condensation. It's the heat exchange that causes moisture to bead on the floor.

Straw. I'm using nice, dry straw -- oat straw. I made the mistake of using alfalfa earlier in the fall and ended up having to gut the coop before winter settled in and refill it with straw.

8Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:37 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

In the hut that we have been working on we are putting down a foot of gravel then a foot of sand on top of it. My biggest problem is heavy clay stuff. It isnt even soil! It holds moisture like crazy. Even with straw in my hut moisture is a massive issue. So, I am going with major drainage to help that and would rather it be a bit colder.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

9Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55 pm

progers

Has any one heard of the super absorbent flax straw. It is 60%a more absorbent than shavings and 200%the better than straw!

10Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I need to take a picture for you of the sump pit I dug just outside my barn door. I have flooding in the spring but the sump pit with heater and pump out keep everything nice and dry.

11Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

progers wrote:Has any one heard of the super absorbent flax straw. It is 60%a more absorbent than shavings and 200%the better than straw!

Pfarms has offered to make a few square bales of flax straw for me to try with my dogs this fall. Flax straw is hard to get!

12Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:07 pm

progers

I have a contact who can get some 300lb bales

13Sand in cold climates Empty Re: Sand in cold climates Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

progers wrote:Has any one heard of the super absorbent flax straw. It is 60%a more absorbent than shavings and 200%the better than straw!

Sure, I have heard is it. I grow it. But I bale sizes people can lift. However, I still get moisture issues because, there is no drainage.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum