Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Too Cold??

+2
happychicks
DCChick
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Too Cold?? Empty Too Cold?? Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:39 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have a little silkie who has been sitting on some eggs for nearly a week. She's just on the floor in the coop. I am wondering if it's too cold for her and the eggs out there. It got down to -18 last night and the highs for next week are going to be about -12. Should I mover her into a kennel in the garage which is a bit warmer or leave her there?

2Too Cold?? Empty Re: Too Cold?? Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Do you want chicks?

3Too Cold?? Empty Re: Too Cold?? Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:51 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

There are 6 eggs under her and are nothing special, ISA brown crossed with whaterver rooster got the job done. I just want to see if she can do is. If there are chicks, I'll deal with looking after them if she doesn't or if it's too cold.

4Too Cold?? Empty Re: Too Cold?? Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:56 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'd think it would be a good idea to move her inside to a warmer spot if possible, but it may be a bit tricky to do so without breaking her up. I have a bantie (half silkie) setting right now. She started setting out in the pen but I moved her into one of our potato bins in the basement- in a nice wooden bin, in a small enclosed room. (no potatos LOL).

First I moved her and her eggs into a little wooden box in the same spot where she had been setting - left her for a day or so, then carried her, eggs and box all into the basement after dark one night. I didn't touch her, just picked up the little box and carried it. She growled a little when I reached down to pick up the box but never stirred after that and is setting as good as ever after the move.

5Too Cold?? Empty Re: Too Cold?? Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:05 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I lift her off the nest evertday to peek at the eggs. She's so funny. I lift her up and she's all fluffy and fierce looking and set her down and she doesn't move. Then I pick her up and put her back on and she snuggles right back down. I think I will try to pur her in the kennel tomorrow night and into the garage the next.

6Too Cold?? Empty Re: Too Cold?? Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:08 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Since she is used to being handled, it should make the moving experience easier. Good luck!

7Too Cold?? Empty Re: Too Cold?? Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

How well insulated is it underneath the eggs? That can make all the difference. I'd move a cat cage out there with lots of insulation in the bottom and a pre-made nest, transfer mum and eggs (do this in in the dark), and hope for the best. Cold from underneath is the killer; she keeps them warm from above.

8Too Cold?? Empty Re: Too Cold?? Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:57 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Don't you just love the way they get so fierce haha I almost want to hug mine cause its just so cute!!

Did you get your move done? was she ok?

9Too Cold?? Empty Re: Too Cold?? Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:45 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Just after dark I moved her into a milk crate with a good thick layer of hay and shavings and put it where she had been sitting. But now I am worried about her being able to get out of it for food and water and then about getting back in. I hate to disturb her again, but I might have to use the cat carrier. The thing is I need it next week to take a cat in to be neutered.

10Too Cold?? Empty Re: Too Cold?? Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:19 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

11Too Cold?? Empty Re: Too Cold?? Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:13 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

2 of my silkies just hatched a clutch last week I though it would be ok so left them, now down to 2 chicks so I moved them inside and the hen is sitting again, so she may hatch them but if it is cooooooooold the chicks will may not make it.

http://www.popscoops.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum