Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Growing lemon trees...for Susan

+4
bcboy
Susan
lady leghorn
Schipperkesue
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:44 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:53 am

Interesting .....but what are the first three pictures showing ? it looks like seeds in the first picture in a bowl ? Second one shows a tweezer lifting seeds ?third shows the seeds in a cup ? Picture six is small stones ? on top of the seeds ?? I normally just put seeds in a baggie with a damp paper towel and put the bag on top of the fridge till they germanate ,so far I have pomegrant ,papaya and soon mango growing from seeds ....but I would like to try a Lemon tree !

3Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, it came out pretty tiny. Can you enlarge your screen?

Basically you soak the seeds, remove the outer coating, place a bunch in the soil, put a layer of gravel over the top, and when the seeds germinate they grow through the gravel. Pretty!

4Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:49 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

LOl, I can't get past Prairie Dogs chewing.........

When you say you remove the outer covering, do you do that after the seeds have soaked?

I put my Calamonian orange seeds on damp paper towel, in a plastic container, (after I have washed them off)

Then cover with more damp paper towel, and put the lid on. I open it once in awhile so it doesn't get

moldy.

Once they get roots on them, I put them in soil, in a nice warm area facing south. Ihave 22 of them right now. Smile
I think that's really interesting how you put them in a cup like that. I wish the pictures were bigger too.

You are a woman of many talents cheers

5Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:52 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, don't think this is my idea! Got it from the Internet.

I think soaking the seeds and removing the cover makes for easier germination.

The only citrus I have ever grown is grapefruit and that is because the seeds were sprouting IN THE FRUIT!

6Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:06 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

In the fruit? Wow, that's different! I will have to try some your way ( or the internets, lol)

I have a regular lemon in the fridge, think I'll take it out and let it warm up, and get some seeds out of

it, same with a Lime, want to grow some of those too.

My meyer lemon has flowers all over it, sure smells good. Smile Doing this kind of thing is fun. Smile

Especially when you can't do anything outside. All it's doing right now is snowing and blowing.

Our little birds usually fill up at the feeders the day before a storm, yesterday they weren't sround much,

then I looked out the window, and saw what I thought was a crow sitting on the trailer roof, was a Hawk!

So guess that's what was keeping them away, it thought it was going to get an easy meal. We chased it away.

But I'm sure it's still watching. Lousy thing. Sad

7Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I can save seeds for anyone who wants them, but I doubt they will come true to type. They may or may not produce fruit. I always take cuttings from my trees to know exactly what I am getting Smile

8Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh- a don't try it with store bought lemons if you you don't want a 15 foot tree! Tho I see myer lemons for sale sometimes at the grocery store. They MIGHT work... But still no guarantees. I like my trees because they are only three feet tall and give me lemons each year!

9Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:30 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Susan wrote:Oh- a don't try it with store bought lemons if you you don't want a 15 foot tree! Tho I see myer lemons for sale sometimes at the grocery store. They MIGHT work... But still no guarantees. I like my trees because they are only three feet tall and give me lemons each year!
So where did you get your tree's from? How many years did it take to bare fruit? How long have you been eating lemons? Laughing
Pictures please? Thanks for your time
Kimball

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

10Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:47 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Susan....If the tree gets that big, I'll use it for a curtain, lol.

I'd like to try, something to experiment with. Smile Will take a long time I would think. Smile

11Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:09 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Bc: I got my first Meyer five years ago from DNA gardens (who are no longer in business) I have taken a couple cuttings from it. It produced lemons the year I got it. I usually get 3or4 medium to large lemons from it in Februaury. I also have a tree from a breeder here. It gives a much bigger sized lemon (x large). It is horrible for bugs though so until I can get a handle on them, there is no sense in taking cuttings. For now I just put I in my shower and blast it with water. The breeder says to use 90 proof alcohol but to do it outside. So I am waiting for summer to mount my attack lol.

12Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:

The only citrus I have ever grown is grapefruit and that is because the seeds were sprouting IN THE FRUIT!

I opend up all my spegetti squash from last year for the chickens and there were alot of sprouted seeds inside. The chickens had a nice lunch
Geri

13Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:36 am

Zenchicken

I bought my meyer lemons from the St. Albert, AB Canadian tire store...one at the beginning of last year and it has produced 10 lemons and one from the end of the year 'sdiscount bin...and it was been flowering and now there are the beginnings of at least 40 lemons on it. It can take 5 years from seed to the stage that you can get a lemon so I don't bother trying from scratch so if anyone wants seeds let me know and I can send some to you.

14Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:59 am

Roots

This how I have soaked citrus seed to remove the acid that can inhibit germination. The water has to be changed often. Put the seeds in an onion bag or a nylon stocking and seal with a string. Then put the bag in the tank of the most used toilet. Make sure the bag is tied to something so it does not get flushed and the toilet still works. One week should dothe trick.

15Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:13 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Zenchicken wrote:I bought my meyer lemons from the St. Albert, AB Canadian tire store...one at the beginning of last year and it has produced 10 lemons and one from the end of the year 'sdiscount bin...and it was been flowering and now there are the beginnings of at least 40 lemons on it. It can take 5 years from seed to the stage that you can get a lemon so I don't bother trying from scratch so if anyone wants seeds let me know and I can send some to you.

I would like some please
Geri

16Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:33 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rasilon wrote:
Zenchicken wrote:I bought my meyer lemons from the St. Albert, AB Canadian tire store...one at the beginning of last year and it has produced 10 lemons and one from the end of the year 'sdiscount bin...and it was been flowering and now there are the beginnings of at least 40 lemons on it. It can take 5 years from seed to the stage that you can get a lemon so I don't bother trying from scratch so if anyone wants seeds let me know and I can send some to you.

I would like some please
Geri

Me too!

Good advice, Roots, that makes a lot of sense. But if acid inhibits germination, why in heaven's name would I get seeds germinating INSIDE a grapefruit?

17Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:17 am

Schipperkesue wrote:
Rasilon wrote:

I would like some please
Geri

Me too!

Good advice, Roots, that makes a lot of sense. But if acid inhibits germination, why in heaven's name would I get seeds germinating INSIDE a grapefruit?
..seen it in Grapfruits ,produce etc every now and then ? At least you know that the fruit wasn't engineered to be infertile ?Most of what is on the shelf you won't get to grow from seed anymore these days

18Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:19 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Acid is needed for some seeds for scarification. I will save seeds for whoever wants them too, but I think SSue is first in line for a cutting. Smile

19Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:20 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find seeds from grocery store fruits and veggies will germinate but the plants may not flower and reproduce.

20Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Zenchicken

Geri Pm me your address and I will mail you some from the next lemon...Sue I can bring yours when we meet for the chickens.

21Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:08 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would most gratefully receive both seeds and cuttings!

22Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:04 pm

niglefritz

I would be interested in trying this from seed too!!!

My grandpa grew the store lemons until the tree was too big to fit in his house, then out it went to freeze. Sad My aunt has done the same. Occasionally there was a flower or two on what they grew, but never fruit. She does have a pineapple currently growing on her 3 yr. old pineapple plant. Looks good!

A book that some of you might be interested in is called "Don't Throw it, Grow It!" by Deborah Peterson & Millicent Selsam (Storey). We have used it to start a few things as houseplants. I really like mango plants, and ginger is a super fast grower.

Another place to find rare seeds is rarexoticseeds.ca. I currently have a dragon fruit growing from some of their seed.

23Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:10 pm

niglefritz

Susan wrote:Acid is needed for some seeds for scarification. I will save seeds for whoever wants them too, but I think SSue is first in line for a cutting. Smile

Hmmm...would you be willing to try to send 2 cuttings to MB? I would scoot one over to my aunt. She would be over the moon! I tell her that she has magic dirt. Everything grows like crazy for her (everything did for my grandpa over there too. He did 400lb pumpkins and HUGE Texas watermelons that outshone anything in the stores, hands down, not to mention his other garden produce.)

Would you graft the cutting/put it into the soil after rooting it somehow? I wonder how that might turn out...

24Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ill have to see what I can do nigelfritz. I may be able to get to it in June but not before.

25Growing lemon trees...for Susan Empty Re: Growing lemon trees...for Susan Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:07 pm

niglefritz

That's fine. I am pretty busy here. I will be waiting. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum