Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cherry trees ??

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cherry trees ?? Empty Cherry trees ?? Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Not sure where to ask this .........but has anyone ever grown trees from the seeds , BC variety ??

2Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:41 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

They wouldn't live here. They need a warmer climate. Also fruit like cherries don't come "true to type" from seed. You need cuttings to get the same sort of tree. If you want a pretty house plant for awhile, go ahead and sprout the seeds (I have a 4 foot Avocado), but you will not get a plant that can live outside or will likely produce fruit. Sorry.

3Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I should have said to check out some of the dwarf sour cherries we have now. They are quite new and look very promising. Look for the "romance series - Cupid, Valentine, Romeo, Juliet, Crimson passion and also Carmine Jewel. They are meant for our climate and produce an abundance of fruit for fresh eating, pies, jam etc.

4Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:53 pm

I have a few cherry trees that give off small fruit about the size of a nickle ? but they just don't seem to want to fruit , or give as much as they said that they would ? There has to be some that give a larger fruit and also be able to with stand our winters .The ones we buy ( fruit ) are said to come from BC ?? or is it another one of those cases where they get packaged in BC and are imported from somewhere else .Your Avocado if you give it a proper pot ( HUGE ) will produce ! I've known people who have planted Papaya's and had them give fruit , banana's , oranges , etc will produce if they are kept in the right planters and soil etc .

5Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Lol, an average Avocado grows to be 40 feet or taller- I won't have a roof on my house!

6Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Yea , that would be a problem ! I had one started , but someones kid tipped it over and it broke in two ? I'll have to look up some of the cherries that you mentioned .I just love the flowers in the spring and hopefully the fruit in the fall ? ,i had some pear trees that gave fruit about half the size of the ones the stores sell , butthe rabbits chewed around the bases and they died !! Never knew a papaya grew that tall , but it's not a fruit that I eat , my plant was started by a Aunt .

7Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:55 pm

prairie dog wrote:Yea , that would be a problem ! I had one started , but someones kid tipped it over and it broke in two ? I'll have to look up some of the cherries that you mentioned .I just love the flowers in the spring and hopefully the fruit in the fall ? ,i had some pear trees that gave fruit about half the size of the ones the stores sell , but the rabbits chewed around the bases and they died !! Never knew a papaya grew that tall , but it's not a fruit that I eat , my plant was started by a Aunt .

8Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We live in the BC Interior and have some sweet cherries. Unfortunately the fruit is too small and too few to be worthwhile. Next to the sweet cherry tree is a wonderful old sour cherry tree. The fruit makes good pie cherries and very good wine. In Kamloops 60 km away sweet cherries grow well, but we are too cold in the winter. BC cherries grow in the Okanagan and that is what you buy in the stores. If it says BC Cherries the fruit is grown in this province. Many types of fruit trees are gropwn by grafting a branch from a good fruit tree on to some root stock. They are not produced from seed.

9Cherry trees ?? Empty cherries from seed Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:41 am

jocelyn

I'm in PEI, so zone 5 ish. We have several cherry trees from our own seed and grocery store seed. Put lots of fresh seeds in a bag of damp soil and pop in the fridge till they sprout. You will need lots, as about 3/4 are not winter hardy...but those that are make nice cherries. Bing, Stella and Black Tartarian all make hardy seedlings, so do the "Black cherries" sold in the grocery stores. The ones from Chile seem to make lots of hardy seedlings, so their climate must be similar to the colder parts of Canada.....I don't mean northern parts, but parts like PEI that are supposed to be too cold for sweet cherries.

Jocelyn

10Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:42 am

jocelyn wrote:I'm in PEI, so zone 5 ish. We have several cherry trees from our own seed and grocery store seed. Put lots of fresh seeds in a bag of damp soil and pop in the fridge till they sprout. You will need lots, as about 3/4 are not winter hardy...but those that are make nice cherries. Bing, Stella and Black Tartarian all make hardy seedlings, so do the "Black cherries" sold in the grocery stores. The ones from Chile seem to make lots of hardy seedlings, so their climate must be similar to the colder parts of Canada.....I don't mean northern parts, but parts like PEI that are supposed to be too cold for sweet cherries. Jocelyn
Now that is interesting !That is what I wanted to hear .There are so many plants that we can't seem to grow here and I have to try and hunt them down , but if I can start some by seed then that helps .I just have to learn how to graft , now where to find that info ?????

11Cherry trees ?? Empty cherries Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:28 am

jocelyn

Grafted trees are not as hardy as seedlings, so start with those first. If you get two winters from a seedling, then you know it's hardy as a rootstock and you can graft it. Grafting is easy. I'll find you a link with pictures, there is a fruit and orchards forum...hang on, I'll send the link in a minute. If you are at the edge of where sweet cherries can grow, seedlings are better. Keep in mind though, that some experienced growers have sweet cherry in Alaska!!! They buy a large tree, and plant it deep, in dryish soil, 4 or 5 feet below ground. I don't recommend that for here...but you could ask lots of questions on the far northen forum too...hang on, links to come.

12Cherry trees ?? Empty cherries Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:32 am

jocelyn

Grafted trees are not as hardy as seedlings, so start with those first. If you get two winters from a seedling, then you know it's hardy as a rootstock and you can graft it. Grafting is easy. I'll find you a link with pictures, there is a fruit and orchards forum...hang on, I'll send the link in a minute. If you are at the edge of where sweet cherries can grow, seedlings are better. Keep in mind though, that some experienced growers have sweet cherry in Alaska!!! They buy a large tree, and plant it deep, in dryish soil, 4 or 5 feet below ground. I don't recommend that for here...but you could ask lots of questions on the far northen forum too...hang on, links to come.

far northern gardening
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

13Cherry trees ?? Empty cherries Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:36 am

jocelyn

fruit and orchards forum

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

you can read back pages too, they are archived for several years.

Grafting hardwoods just needs a sharp pocket knife and some masking tape, done at the right time of year for the kind of tree you have. You can do this, grin.

Jocelyn

14Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks so much , I am a real nut for stuff like this and this info will feed that afflication!

15Cherry trees ?? Empty cherries Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:48 am

jocelyn

What zone are you in, Prairie Dog? Rootstocks vary by zone, so I could suggest better if I knew your zone. Yesterday was the remains of Hurricane Irene for east coasters, so I didn't answer any e-mails, just hunkered down. it's nice out today, calm and clear.

Jocelyn

16Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:23 am

Zone three I believe , and I've grown some plants that are for zone two outside as well , just need more protection or cover in the winter ( we live in a wooded area )

17Cherry trees ?? Empty cherries Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:22 am

jocelyn

well, zone three means you will need either a native rootstock or a seedling that has survived a couple of winters. Most seedling sweet cherries will die in zone 3, so plant LOTS so that a few make it. Pin cherry is proven to be OK, but sometimes the tree overgrows the stock and cracks off many years later....so start young ones every 10 years or so to always have a younger one coming along. There are cherries in the grocery stores now, so start spitting your seeds into a bag of damp soil. Smile I think I had one on choke cherry, till Nosey ate it...Nosey was our goat. You could try different native cherries till you get a combination that works..Pin Cherry, Choke cherry, seedlings, even a sour cherry MIGHT be compatable. (some will and some won't)

Jocelyn

18Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:32 pm

I have what they call the "" Evan's Cherry "" which is apperantly from around Edmonton ?? and they do sell a few other varieties , but most are bush's and they have mixed results from people that I know .Zone three doesn't say the whole story though ! I've frown plants here that we were not supposed to be able to and they over wintered just fine ? But I'll try anything once .......so my bowl of seeds from store bought cherries will be in the dirt !Just as a side note , my brother tried grape seeds from grapes that he bought in the store and he's got a vine with grapes growing at his house ? and they are not the local grapes !

19Cherry trees ?? Empty grapes Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:50 am

jocelyn

Yes, grapes come easy from seeds too, again, spit the seeds into a bag of damp earth and refridgerate till spring, or till they sprout in the fridge. We have a lot of mice here, so I refridgerate seeds instead of planting outside in the fall. The little guys eat seeds sown outside, no matter how I try to protect them, grin. Zone recommendations are just that, and no more. Nurseries are interested in not having to replace a tree that winterkilled, so they are conservative in their estimations. Also, if one can get peaches 4 years out of 5 in a zone where one would otherwise have to buy them picked green and ripened off the tree... having been shipped in, well, those 4 years are real treats. Incidentally, some Ag Canada breeders are breeding in Father David's peach to the commercial stocks, as that species is very hardy. It seems to be OK to zone 4, and maybe protected areas of zone 3. Reliance peach is pretty hardy too, zone 5 for sure, zone 4 likely.....I'll let you know how its seedlings are doing in a few years...3 peaches ripening as we speak.

20Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Great info here! Thanks!!!
How about plums? Have you ever tried grafting them to cherry root stock with any success?

21Cherry trees ?? Empty plums Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 pm

jocelyn

No, never tried plums on cherry. Plums are OK on peach and apricot though, and there are prairie hardy apricots..manchurian, I think.

22Cherry trees ?? Empty Re: Cherry trees ?? Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07 pm

ars800

ars800

I planted 2 cherry trees last year from bare root trees I purchased from a place in Saanich. They produced a bit of fruit this year, not much, but more than I expected.

I bought them from this place because they had the 2 varieties I was looking for:

Lapin - produces nice larger red fruit and does not need a pollinator

Kristin - also produces larger red fuit, needs a pollinator, but is very cold hardy. It has been grown in places like Montana and Norway.

Both are on Gisela 5 root stock so they will stay a manageable size too.

So far I'm pretty happy with them, I just need to keep the robins away. Although, it looks as though with all the birds eating the cherries, some of the pits fell to the ground beside the Lapin and now I have 2 new cherry trees growing beside the original. I thought it was difficult to grow from seed but apparently not around here.

http://www.islandpoultry.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum