Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Raspberries , apples and apricot Trees

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Raspberries , apples and apricot Trees  Empty Raspberries , apples and apricot Trees Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:00 am

SherylVick

I need some info on Raspberries Please. Smile There is a long row of Raspberries right in the middle of my garden. I'd like to dig them up and move them. Is it to late in the year? Should I wait untill next year? I'd like to give a bunch away as well.

Also, I've inherited a bunch of old apricot and apple trees with this new place. They need a lot of TLC. Is there anything you guys can tell me about them? Fertilizers and what not.

http://www.thechickentown.ca

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Raspsberries. I would wait until spring to move them, that is a personal choice. If you move in spring, the roots that are disturbed can begin to grow again with thawed soil. If you move them now, they will be in ground that will soon be frozen. Yes, they are dormant right now, so maybe some may advise to move now. But I would not. Springtime is the time for moving things around from place to place. Although, many perennials do much more prefer a fall splitting up and moving. Others will chime in, you will have many people to listen to. I would like to hear as well others comments.

When we moved from the coast up here just over 3 years ago, I left behind a most beautiful patch of raspberry plants, oh so many rows, sigh....I took about 6 big pots of raspberry canes that I had potted up. Planted them in the spring before we moved up, so a couple months in the soil before we actually moved in June. Do you know it took until this year (that is 3 years) before I actually had any decent canes from the plants. I harvested about 2 cups of berries off the meager branches that had grown from the one cane that had taken off the year before. Sigh....but this 2014, I should have again raspberries coming out my ying yang. All those new shoots that will come up this spring will be relocated to along the rows I have waiting for them. Then in 2015, watch out raspberry lovers, we will be overwhelmed, such as I was on the coast. But boy oh boy. Moving those tenders from one climate to a 100% different climate, think wet west coast to dry interior of BC, it took them 3 years to fully recover and set their beautiful roots below ground that travel along and send up shoots for the new canes, a very long, long time, but it is going to be worth the wait. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You are fine to move the raspberries this fall. I prefer to move things in the fall once the leaves are yellowing ( taking all the nutrients back to the roots). Then water the newly planted canes in well before freeze up. Then the once spring starts to come the plant can put all its energy into growing and does have to be stressed when it is trying to grow again.

There are some good fruit pruning guides online. Late fall is a great time to do some fruit pruning.
Just remember never remove more than 30% of the tree canopy in one growing season. If you take more than 30% of the canopy away the tree will often send shoots out from the ground or upward growth in the canopy.

Rejuvenating older trees can take 3 plus years to get the tree looking better. Removing dead branches does not count in the 30% canopy rule. Also first work on removing damaged, diseased and crossing/rubbing branches.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum