Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

went to a chicken meeting and they bashed my bators

+11
Pollywog
heda gobbler
uno
ChicoryFarm
Fowler
KatuskiFarms
toybarons
SerJay
Schipperkesue
authenticfarm
Rasilon
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I went to our chicken club's meeting and 2 people said my hovabatiors were no good. One said they don't work at all and one said they don't work very good. . The ones I have keep good temp don't vary and its all I have
Sigh
Geri

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

If they work for you, then what do they know, anyway?

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can have very good hatches in a hovabator. I am going over to the other site to copy what i wrote so i can share it here.

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Aw thats too bad they felt it necessary to be like that. Did you look at the pics of my styrofoam monstrosity that I manage to hatch eggs in bwahahaha wonder what they'd have to say about that Shocked I also have an octagon 20 that will be hatching this weekend and yes its nice because there is less work to it and less worrying over it but if I can get eggs to hatch in monstrosity then you can hatch eggs in your hovabator it just takes more tlc

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

You go with what works for you. I can't hatch squat in a hovabator type incubator and wouldn't use personally. I've had good success using my Brinsea. I have read comments from people who have said they wouldn't swap their Hovabators for anything because they have near 100% hatches in them. Had some people tell me they don't like Brinsea incubators.

Use what works for you and happy hatching!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here are links. You should be able to read them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

All I have is a Coleman...... beer cooler that is. My husband made it for me. Holds 48, (I can do 100, hehe). Has a fan and wafer thermostat and I have to turn eggs by rotating the egg table from a handle on exterior of cooler. I have hatched 350+ chicks in that baby.

I figure if you know the temp and humidity ranges, and watch it like a hawk, you'll have success. C'mon, a chicken can do it!

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

If your eggs hatch, then they're good. Chicks don't care about brand names. Nuff said.

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Here Here!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rasilon wrote:I went to our chicken club's meeting and 2 people said my hovabatiors were no good. One said they don't work at all and one said they don't work very good. . The ones I have keep good temp don't vary and its all I have
Sigh
Geri

Upon reading this a second time it sounds a bit like smug superiority with a dab of sour grapes and a smidge of anger that their hovas did not work for them.

Or maybe I am just reading into it!

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Rasilon wrote:I went to our chicken club's meeting and 2 people said my hovabatiors were no good. One said they don't work at all and one said they don't work very good. . The ones I have keep good temp don't vary and its all I have
Sigh
Geri

Upon reading this a second time it sounds a bit like smug superiority with a dab of sour grapes and a smidge of anger that their hovas did not work for them.

They probably have fake balls hanging from their bators.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:
Sigh
Geri

*Smirk* Don't you get started with that, Mister!

LOL Fowler.

I agree, I think it's a display of superiority. Not just for Gorillas and Roosters, unfortunately. I've only ever had the chance to borrow a hovobator (an old one at that), and the only hatch that failed was my fault. She does great.

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Fowler wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:
Sigh
Geri

*Smirk* Don't you get started with that, Mister!

Well played Sir! hee hee

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I get fabulous hatches with my Hovabator 1588 - 95% success.

A different story with my Brinsea Ova Easy - humidity pump has never worked properly and only 60% hatch rate, so I now transfer eggs over to Hovabator on day 18. Not thrilled that it is styrofoam but it works extremely well thus far.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bator balls! I want some! Wait. No. I want fuzzy dice.

Rasilon, you cannot give up and you cannot take the remarks of others to heart. Unless it's me. Take EVERYTHING I say to heart. EVERYTHING.

SOmetimes, for reasons you'll never know, hatches just don't work out. Other times chicks will come flying out like popcorn out of the popper. You can't give up! Investigate your thermoms and make sure they are accurate. Investigate your rooster and make sure THEY have balls. Shocked

We have old Hovabators here that work just fine, new ones that work just fine, styrofoam and duc tape homebuilt jobbies. And then there was the time I hatched eggs in a black, turkey roaster full of popcorn. So..if anyone tells you it can't be done in your Hovabator, go to the back of their truck and kick them in the balls. Basketball

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote:Bator balls! I want some! Wait. No. I want fuzzy dice.

Rasilon, you cannot give up and you cannot take the remarks of others to heart. Unless it's me. Take EVERYTHING I say to heart. EVERYTHING.

SOmetimes, for reasons you'll never know, hatches just don't work out. Other times chicks will come flying out like popcorn out of the popper. You can't give up! Investigate your thermoms and make sure they are accurate. Investigate your rooster and make sure THEY have balls. Shocked

We have old Hovabators here that work just fine, new ones that work just fine, styrofoam and duc tape homebuilt jobbies. And then there was the time I hatched eggs in a black, turkey roaster full of popcorn. So..if anyone tells you it can't be done in your Hovabator, go to the back of their truck and kick them in the balls. Basketball

Thanks

uno wrote:So..if anyone tells you it can't be done in your Hovabator, go to the back of their truck and kick them in the balls. Basketball

Bahaha. You won't be able to miss their truck either. No worries there.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Next time say "You won't believe the things I've done in a hovabator!" and walk away....

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

heda gobbler wrote:Next time say "You won't believe the things I've done in a hovabator!" and walk away....

with you head hung down and slightly shake your shoulders like you are silently sobbing. Then post Reactions here for our enjoyment.

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:I get fabulous hatches with my Hovabator 1588 - 95% success.

A different story with my Brinsea Ova Easy - humidity pump has never worked properly and only 60% hatch rate, so I now transfer eggs over to Hovabator on day 18. Not thrilled that it is styrofoam but it works extremely well thus far.

Yes I agree that for the price range that those newer Genesis 1588's are very reliable. They always hatch on hatch day and I never open them up until day 18. I am not putting down the older Huvabators that have the heat wafers but there are many people who have to continually monitor and adjust the temp to keep it where it needs to be. Ironically my first incubator 14 years ago was and old style Huvabator with the two small windows and I had great hatches and didn't even know a thing that I was doing.

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Dan Smith wrote:
ChicoryFarm wrote:I get fabulous hatches with my Hovabator 1588 - 95% success.

Yes I agree that for the price range that those newer Genesis 1588's are very reliable. They always hatch on hatch day and I never open them up until day 18. I am not putting down the older Huvabators that have the heat wafers but there are many people who have to continually monitor and adjust the temp to keep it where it needs to be. Ironically my first incubator 14 years ago was and old style Huvabator with the two small windows and I had great hatches and didn't even know a thing that I was doing.

MIne is an old one with square corners not rounded and has the 2 windows. According to my thermometer the temperature has not changed a fraction.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote: Investigate your rooster and make sure THEY have balls. Shocked
So..if anyone tells you it can't be done in your Hovabator, go to the back of their truck and kick them in the balls. Basketball

Clearly you have issues with balls, smiling. Razz Embarassed Come on Uno, you must know that roosters do not have any balls. These posts are making me laugh my guts out, especially you, you balled up girl!! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rasilon, are you using a red alcohol thermometer or a digital? I find the alcohol to be far more accurate. The ones that look like a little speedometer are the least accurate. If you know someone with a Spot Check incubator thermometer, borrow it to calibrate the thermometer you have and you will be good to go.

Check the temperatures in the different areas of the bator. They can vary. You can counter act this by moving the eggs around when you turn and add water or by turning the top 1/4 turn three times a day.

Is it dry where you are? A light mist once a day also helps.

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Rasilon, are you using a red alcohol thermometer or a digital? I find the alcohol to be far more accurate. The ones that look like a little speedometer are the least accurate. If you know someone with a Spot Check incubator thermometer, borrow it to calibrate the thermometer you have and you will be good to go.

Check the temperatures in the different areas of the bator. They can vary. You can counter act this by moving the eggs around when you turn and add water or by turning the top 1/4 turn three times a day.

Is it dry where you are? A light mist once a day also helps.

Mine looks like a speedometer It was reco0mended so I bought one for each hovo
no i don't know anybody with a spor check or a spot check

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum