Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Prairie Chicken"

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1"Prairie Chicken" Empty "Prairie Chicken" Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What is the species we have here in Sask? Is it the rough tailed grouse? We had a flock of about 20, but now I only see 3. It's been a tough winter, I hope the flock didn't die out. They are so neat watch. Anyone know more about these birds?

2"Prairie Chicken" Empty Re: "Prairie Chicken" Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 am

Susan wrote:What is the species we have here in Sask? Is it the rough tailed grouse? We had a flock of about 20, but now I only see 3. It's been a tough winter, I hope the flock didn't die out. They are so neat watch. Anyone know more about these birds?

Im also interested in this. We have 2 types here, one with a long sharp tail and one without. Our flocks here are thriving. theres 4 or 5 groups of 10-15 that we see regularly.

3"Prairie Chicken" Empty Re: "Prairie Chicken" Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:04 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4"Prairie Chicken" Empty Re: "Prairie Chicken" Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Poor little guys.

We have grouse here. Not sure the type. They are a little stunned when they meet cars on the road and each spring there are several dead on our road.

5"Prairie Chicken" Empty Re: "Prairie Chicken" Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:15 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Six species of grouse are currently found in this province: greater sage grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, ruffed grouse, spruce grouse, rock ptarmigan, and willow ptarmigan.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

6"Prairie Chicken" Empty Re: "Prairie Chicken" Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 am

If you are in a wooded area then it would be Grouse ( Spruce /Ruffed ) ,if you're more in the prairie region then it would be the Sharp Tailed Grouse ,plus if you have as we do the introduced Hungarian Grouse it could very well be them .These like to huddle in groups ( 10-20 ),rather small in size and very flighty.The Ruffed and the Spruce are in brushy areas and you can see them in trees quite often ,Sharpies will sit in trees if scared ,but prefer the grass as a hide out Very Happy

7"Prairie Chicken" Empty Re: "Prairie Chicken" Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well I sure hope they stick around. Really neat birds! I am guessing they must be sharp tailed grouse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum