Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oh ice I hate you!

+4
bckev
toybarons
Schipperkesue
SerJay
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Oh ice I hate you! Empty Oh ice I hate you! Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:41 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Tis the season of thaw and freeze, thaw and freeze while we slip slide, shovel and slide some more. Ugh wish we could skip this season and just go straight to the muck and mud season!

2Oh ice I hate you! Empty Re: Oh ice I hate you! Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:53 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have fallen heavily on my hip at least three times this year.

3Oh ice I hate you! Empty Re: Oh ice I hate you! Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:27 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have slid off my driveway and into a snowbank once, so far.

4Oh ice I hate you! Empty Re: Oh ice I hate you! Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:33 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I bought some cleats to put on my boots after a bad fall last year that left me with some broken ribs, took me months to heal.

5Oh ice I hate you! Empty Re: Oh ice I hate you! Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:07 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I was carrying down a bucket of hot water to thaw out waterers and slipped while rounding a corner. Feet up above head, ended up wearing the bucket of water and made a dash back into the house.

Not a fan of the freeze thaw, would rather have the mud myself!

6Oh ice I hate you! Empty Re: Oh ice I hate you! Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:51 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't know. We are deep in mud here, it has flooded over into the well and choked the pump. No water in the house. Truck is so mud covered I'm going to have to wash the tail pipe so it doesn't break off (which happened a few years ago). Little dog is so mud caked he is almost unrecognizable (helping me sort yearling heifers yesterday in the mud). Just as slippery as ice when using the tractor. Almost slid off the driveway yesterday. Not even freezing at night so no time of day is better than any other....

But falling on ice has got to be one of THE most painful things....

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

7Oh ice I hate you! Empty Re: Oh ice I hate you! Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:01 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have had my 2 falls on ice this year, so I should be good for the year. Seems I always have 2 good falls! Rolling Eyes
We really are getting to the mud stage here too. Still lots of snow in the fields, but everywhere else is mud. Only getting to 0C at night for the past few nights and up to 8C yesterday. Don't think it will be as warm today. The wind yesterday and last night was terrible, I hate wind, but it will help it dry up. I have to keep telling myself that! Laughing
So hopefully our real cold is over for the year. I know we will still see some ice and freezing, but frozen mud isn't so bad.

8Oh ice I hate you! Empty Re: Oh ice I hate you! Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh yikes Heda that is not mud I want! our mud doesn't usually last very long we spend a couple days shovelling out the ditches and we usually get wind at the same time (which sucks at the time) but dries it up fast so the water disappears pretty quickly. We have pure clay as our ground so its horrible stuff.

Wow you guys have had some terrible falls! I've got the cleats out on all our boots but its still slippery. We get this every year as the plows never take all the snow so we drive on hard packed snow all winter but when it warms and we get a wind the road becomes an ice rink. Yesterday we got freezing rain and it took me 3 trys to get into our driveway and when I was telling hubby he rolled his eyes but he has a 4wd truck and it took him 2 tries to get into our driveway so I had the last laugh Very Happy Rolling his eyes at my driving skills Evil or Very Mad

Last night the snow started again so put a lovely fine dust on top of 4-6inches of smooth slick ice really sucked. I baled just as I was getting to the barn so took the long way back up over the 2ft of hard snow in the backyard because I didn't want to bale with a bucket of milk on my way back LOL

Today we have both a snowfall warning and a freezing rain warning in effect for our area UGH! I hate this yucky weather I just want to see brown and green!!! I want to walk without my leg disappearing down to me knees in snow or slipping and sliding on the ice

flower flower flower flower flower flower

9Oh ice I hate you! Empty Re: Oh ice I hate you! Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I secretly enjoy driving past each 4WD vehicle I pass that is in the ditch when the snow hits the road. Sorry. KNow it sounds bad but I do. Twisted Evil

10Oh ice I hate you! Empty Re: Oh ice I hate you! Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:53 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I know toybarons I feel the same way LOL They seem to think its a license to drive badly!!

After hubbys eye rolls at me thinking I didn't know how to drive I thiought it hilarious when I'd warned him and yet even with his 4wd drive he didn't do much better than me and my little minivan Evil or Very Mad Its still snowing here and its that weightless sandlike snow so sitting on that ice its ugly out there today. Even with cleats the walk up the driveway was brutally slippery

11Oh ice I hate you! Empty Re: Oh ice I hate you! Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:04 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We skipped the real icy yard this year here with lots of wet snow. The snow did not melt down into ice and when it started melting it went straight to shush. I still managed two tumbles as the dogs lay on the path between the two houses. Their body heat forms an icy nest in the snow which I stepped into while walking around. On both occasions I fell forward landing on hands and knees with little damage. When it was icy last year I bought a pair of XL spikes. DIL has the ice spikes as my boots on more XL than the spikes. I need to invest in a pair from Lee Valley. Our only mud here is in the cattle yard and the chicken runs as we live in a gravel pit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum