Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I'd hate to jink it but...

+4
chickeesmom
coopslave
Schipperkesue
HiddenAcresBC
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I'd hate to jink it but... Empty I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:19 am

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

I FOUND A COW!

Actually I have found 2 cows. And now I must decide on which one to buy.

Heifer #1 - Local. Well 2 hours away anyways. That is pretty darn close for finding a good milk cow! She is 16 months old. Purebred Jersey. Apparently her mama is super sweet and seems she has the same temperment. I have seen good pics and she is very pretty. Problem is she isnt bred. ANd I am not in the "loop" and dont know what to do about that. There are no other Jersey bulls around, and I dont have a trailer to transport her back and forth for breeding if I did find a bull. He wants $1200. Gas money to go and get her should be about $100.

Heifer # 2 - Not so local. 13 hour drive one-way. This is a looooong drive with 3 kids and a cow. But the woman I talked to was so helpful and sounds like her cows are the world to her. SHe asked me questions about our lifestyle and our property so she could be sure her baby would go to a great location where she would be loved and appreciated. She is 2 yrs old, Purebred jersey, and has spent the last month with a purebred Jersey bull. She loves people and apparently droops her head and drools while being brushed. She comes when she sees people and has no aggression whatsoever. She is $1200. Gas money is going to be upwards of $600. But for the right cow (and she sounds lovely) I am willing to pay that.

OK experienced cow people, and opinionated people alike Wink
WHAT THE HECK SHOULD I DO!!!

Jaclyn

2I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:38 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cow 2 if she is probably preggers. I am guessing you live a long way from the cow 'loop' and may have to do way more driving to breed her- or pay someone to come out and AI.

Sue

3I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:52 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I suggest AI as well. Pretty easy thing to get done and easy to choose what to breed to. For just one animal it is convenient not having to drive all over gods creation for a bit of procreation.

4I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:37 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Can you get a preg test done on cow #2?

5I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:33 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can also consider a bull of a different sort- Angus, something perhaps not terribly big if you decide on the younger heifer.

6I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:41 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is what I was going to suggest rosewood. This would give you a little more of a beef calf, but one that would still make a nice little milk cow if you decided to keep a heifer. We always did holstein/angus cross when we milked and this worked great, gave enough milk for us, and for soaking the chicken and pig feed as well as feeding the calf.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

7I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

For a first time cow person I think I would wait till you found one that has milked before. Jersey's can have incredibly small teets and some are very difficult to hand milk the first two years. Unless you are using a machine?
Also a gentle cow can still be a difficult one to train to milk, but you would have time if she is just bred now.
What I would do with cow #2 is wait another 15 or so days and have them get her preg checked.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 pm

HighCountry

How far along do they need to be to preg check. My dexter cow has been in with billy bob for 2 weeks so far no activity but still have another week or so. She rides the cows that are in heat but none have rode her in the two months shes been here. A bull escape for a three days at her prior owners just before i brouht her home. Wondering if she was bred Sad. Would make for an april calf which is earlier than i prefer. Have thought of the shot to bring her in season but uncomfortable with the possible abortion. So i will either have a pure dexter baby or a jersey dexter cross. Both will be cute

http://www.highcountryshetlands@xplornet.com

9I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:11 pm

I'd preg test cow #2 as well , you just never know .As far as cow #1 goes you could have a vet implant her ? Pick what ever breed you want and it's a whole lot cheaper then having a bull around .Just my thoughts

10I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:51 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

I dontk now if AI is an option around here. I phoned the local vets - noone within 2 hours does it anymore. SO I phoned Smithers vet which is nearby the heifer #1. This is a farming community with lots of cows and horses. The vet's secretary thought I was completely insane when I asked if they do AI...she said she had no idea what that was, so I explained it to her and I think she was gonna hang up on me thinking I was some sicko prankster! Bahahaha! Sooooooo...I have yet to hear back from them whether they do AI or not. If not then it is completely out of the picture.

I still have to hear back from hunnydo to see what she has available. I know she usually has cows in milk or older cows so I will very impatiently wait to hear from her before I make up my mind.

Thanks for everyones ideas. I like to hear from experienced people. Gives me a better perspective. Or at least a different one.

Jaclyn

11I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:33 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lesley Jackson, a Highland breeder for quite a few years, sells semen from a bull they owned years ago. She has a farm near Smithers now and may be able to help you regarding AIing in your area. Her farm is called Lauriston and she has a website.

12I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 am

HiddenAcresBC wrote:I dontk now if AI is an option around here. I phoned the local vets - noone within 2 hours does it anymore. SO I phoned Smithers vet which is nearby the heifer #1. This is a farming community with lots of cows and horses. The vet's secretary thought I was completely insane when I asked if they do AI...she said she had no idea what that was, so I explained it to her and I think she was gonna hang up on me thinking I was some sicko prankster! Bahahaha! Sooooooo...I have yet to hear back from them whether they do AI or not. If not then it is completely out of the picture.

I still have to hear back from hunnydo to see what she has available. I know she usually has cows in milk or older cows so I will very impatiently wait to hear from her before I make up my mind.

Thanks for everyones ideas. I like to hear from experienced people. Gives me a better perspective. Or at least a different one.

Jaclyn

Which Vet Clinic in Smithers did you call? There are two. Babine pet hospital and Bulkley Valley Vet clinic. The one directly in town (Babine pet) (250) 847-8887
deals more in pet stock. The one on Tatlow rd. in Smithers, Bulkley Valley Vet Clinic is the one used for livestock (250) 847-4364
There is also a vet clinic in Houston, Driftwood Vet clinic (250) 845-3535

13I'd hate to jink it but... Empty Re: I'd hate to jink it but... Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:36 am

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Suprisingly it was Blukley Valley Vet Clinic. The girl apprehensively took my name and number and told me somoene would call me back regarding my request...but no call. I assume she was too embarrassed to ask anyone about it. Maybe she was a summer student or something, but she was definitely unprofessional and not very knowledgeable yet.

Thanks Rosewood - I think I recognize that name. She must do lots with the Fall fair and exhibition maybe. I wouldnt know her any other way. I will keep asking around.

Sounds like hunnydo may have a couple cows in milk...but unfortunately not with a calf. I was REALLY hoping to have a calf too to take some of the pressure off of milking (in case I fail miserably at it at first).

Jaclyn

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum