Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Deworming guineas??

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Deworming guineas?? Empty Deworming guineas?? Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 pm

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

i have a sick giunea, and need a little help!! i picked him up yesterday and he is weak and skinny which is hard to under stand beacuse my guineas get the whole yard to roam plue all the chicken feed i feed them! so i dusted and gave him some medication.
but i was wondering maybe does he have worms???? can i beworm him with Dectomax???

2Deworming guineas?? Empty Re: Deworming guineas?? Sat May 21, 2011 8:01 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi steve, how is your guinea doing? I've used ivomec (pour on for cattle) on my chickens for mites and as a preventive measure. It worked great. Also eprinex is another product I've heard good things about. I've never heard of Dectomax though, what is it usually used for?

3Deworming guineas?? Empty Re: Deworming guineas?? Sat May 21, 2011 8:29 am

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

my sick giunea died! Sad but i would still like to de-worm my other guinea's.
thanks Flicker Chick for you help! ~Dectomax is what we use on our cattle instead of ivomec so we have some laying around, so i was just woundering if it would work the same on chickens? but i might have to buy some ivomec just to be safe!

4Deworming guineas?? Empty Re: Deworming guineas?? Mon May 23, 2011 8:13 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Aww, I'm sorry. Sad I'm not sure about the Dectomax...I hope someone will have an answer for you.

5Deworming guineas?? Empty pumpkin/raw pumpkin seeds Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 am

niglefritz

I have heard of this working for chickens and people (I, myself don't know if I would want to eat them that way), but using raw pumpkin seeds (ah, the whole pumpkin, really) supposed to work well.

The shell of the seed is supposed to paralyze the worm, and the rest is roughage and helps it pass through, not to mention being very, very healthy. This is supposed to be done every 2 months.

I am not sure if guineas would eat the seeds, as we just brought some birds home yesterday, but I know that our chickens sure ate the seeds quickly. I am planning to keep my eyes open for unwanted pumpkins next year just for this purpose.

I remembered that something else that works is either cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes. 1 tsp. to 1 Tbsp. in their water or feed, every 2 months. For chickens, anyway, it warms their insides, which is great in winter, and as a bonus, they will lay more eggs too. Don't know if this same positive side effect would show with guineas.

Last edited by niglefritz on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : adding info)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum