Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why do you have chickens? (Inspired by a comment by Country Thyme...thanks CT!)

+18
Ruffledfeathers
SucellusFarms
bckev
Jonny Anvil
lady leghorn
Rasilon
toybarons
authenticfarm
KathyS
triplejfarms
Hillbilly
Susan
bigrock
coopslave
Fowler
uno
appway
Schipperkesue
22 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is pretty clear by now that most of us are pretty wrapped up in this poultry madness. However, our reasons and methods differ. So tell us, why do you have chickens? Knowing this little piece of information may help us attain a little 'fellowfeel' amongst members here.

No, I will not go first.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Sue
I was going to get off the computer and do some work LOL Go subject

The reason I have My poultry is they are relaxing to me
also their eggs and their meat that they provide to Darwin and I
Also I enjoy breeding and hatching them and trying to improve them weather it is for looks or production.
Also I enjoy breeding them For the Shows
Just like my dogs I try and breed the next Champion
Will I breed the Perfect Chicken that wins all the time and is a record egg layer ??
I doubt it but I will still enjoy my Poultry Trying to
oh and they are what I talk to when I am depressed as they make me smile and laugh and get me in a good mood

Joe

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:It is pretty clear by now that most of us are pretty wrapped up in this poultry madness. However, our reasons and methods differ. So tell us, why do you have chickens? Knowing this little piece of information may help us attain a little 'fellowfeel' amongst members here.

No, I will not go first.

OKAY SUE YOUR TURN

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Joe. Now I am not first!

Primarily my chickens are relaxing. Of all my chores chickens are last. Why? because then I can sit with them and enjoy their antics and get to know them. They lower my blood pressure.

Secondly, they are an experiment in control. I have control issues. My life is tightly controlled, and breeding gives me a feeling of control over life. I can maipulate genetics, see what I can create. It is an art within the tight confines of science. I create best within a strong set of rules. However, life is not something you can always control, is it? It poses problems for you and therefore, chickens also make me humble. They keep me in my place and prevent me from thinking I am all that.

Amazing how such a little animal can make me a better person.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

When Hub and I were first together, he laid out three unbreakable rules.
1) There will be no making of hay!
2) There will be no shooting of cows.
3) No plaid furniture!

Chickens were not on the forbidden list.

We also wanted to show the kid that for people to eat, things had to die. We did not want food to be taken for granted. We put her in charge of feeding the meatbirds and gathering them for butchering. (she will need to seek therapy for this, I'm sure) For years her chores were the chicken chores, but she also got egg money which turned out to be a pretty lucrative income for a small kid. So the birds came as egg and meat producers, but also as a teaching tool to learn, on a very tiny scale, about the farming background that both her parents came from. (and which her father has mostly forbidden)

Opposite of Sue I see my breeding and hatching as abstract art. No control at all. Colours and breeds splashed together in an unknown pool of swirling mix and what comes out and who the parents are is anyone's guess. It is a crap shoot and surprise each time an egg hatches and I have the most diverse and interseting birds...until something eats them!

I don't know that my birds relax me. I never enter my hen house anymore without opening the door a crack and checking to make sure the coast is clear. Never know who might be in there ahead of me! It's not the bird so much that freak me out as the ongoing parade of predators they attract.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I keep my chickens for inbreeding, reduction of productivity and the reproduction of undesirable traits as I work to destroy my chosen breeds. What a Face

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:I keep my chickens for inbreeding, reduction of productivity and the reproduction of undesirable traits as I work to destroy my chosen breeds. What a Face

Naughty, very very naughty! Laughing

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We are very new to the "Chicken thing"...but both my husband and I sit in our chairs and listen to the chickens talk and watch them scratch. We love this pasttime...Then as a bonus we get free eggs while our customers pay for all the chicken food and upkeep. I used to spend 6.00/doz of organic eggs, now I grow my own! Plus, they have such beautiful plumage, some of our chickens are so friendly which i adore. Am loving chickens

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I can only answer for today as I don't have the energy for the whole answer. Today, they are merely for my own selfish enjoyment. I escape outside five or six times to watch them venturing in the snow paths I have made for them. I am enjoying watching them natter to themselves and stealing the chickadees sunflower seeds. Smile

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have to say, mostly, I keep them for the fresh eggs. Secondly, I keep enough, that egg sales pay for their feed, and the goose feed. Now they pretty much break even on a yearly basis. We have enough consumers on the property.
Lastly, I would say, I like my eclectic flock of misfits. Some of Unos favorite breeds are here. The spitzald fritzald horkenfluugen. The skreamin shitzalot poopinmakin. Yep. I like the heritage birds. I don't wanna see just a brown chicken with brown chicken buddies. I chose most breeds on their ability to lay in the winter originally. Looks were second. I can't help it. I'm a guy, we're visual creatures.

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

same reason as fowler Razz but add that i have always loved chickens ever since i was a kid, i do what i do with them as i love being around them, they are relaxing and the eggs are a huge bonus, they are my pets who pay for themselfs! if i had to give up all my animals but one i am afraid everything would be gone but my birds Shocked even the dogs Embarassed i get sheer enjoyment from them, all the people that i have met at shows/ sales/ forums !! i have learned tons from you guys and have high respect for allot of you... i like the breeding to better your stock i love starting from nothing and breeding to better them Smile i like the challenge!! i have my own little personal goals, love to share my birds with everyone.... thats about it... Smile

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great topic and a very welcome diversion today… Smile

My very closest and very long time friend tells me she loves my chickens, not because she is a chicken person, but because of what they have done for me. Without getting overly personal, I was in a difficult time of my life about 10 years ago. I desperately needed something. I just didn’t know what. I tried a few things to fill the gap, even went back to school to study website development and that helped for a while. Meanwhile my sweet little flock of chickens are what kept me sane and delighted me with their antics and their total oblivion to all the complex stuff we humans dwell on. Rolling Eyes But what helped most to bring me peace and fulfillment was when I realized there was so much more to learn and do with regards to the humble chicken. I immersed myself in books to learn about rare chickens and other livestock, different methods of breeding and even basic genetics. Later, I started to source out new breeding stock and made myself a website (well actually I'm on my 3rd website since I started breeding.) Embarassed But it turns out chicken-keeping has been just what I needed. Its my own thing, something I can take pride in and feel a sense of accomplishment and work done well, even with the little things like keeping clean coops and fresh water for the chickens. I feel like I owe my chickens a lot for the peace of mind they’ve given me. I do my best to give them a good home. Hubby has also appreciated the new Me, the calmer, happier, more settled me and he is now very supportive and helpful with my hobby.

One of the best parts of chicken-keeping is that you can choose to go different directions, and your goals can change. I’m still feeling my way a bit, and my goals will likely continue to change and evolve as years pass. I like the breed conservation aspect of my Chantecler flock, and try hard to maintain a wide and diverse genetic base in them. I’m also keeping what I call my ‘production strain’ of Buff Orpingtons because I do see value in the safe-keeping of wider genetic pools than what we normally work with in exhibition lines.

The exhibition side of the hobby is often thought to be at the other end of the spectrum from breed conservation, but its something that also gives me great pleasure. Simply gazing at the product of decades of selection for that picture-perfect, physical form for me is awe inspiring. I admire those who never feel the need to show their chickens, but on some level I still need that professional confirmation that I’m doing something right. I love the challenge of trying to create something that comes close to perfection. Choosing birds to mate, tracking the chicks as they grow and mature and the thrill of that one young adult that stands out from the rest. Its not so much a competitive thing with me, but more of a personal journey.
Plus I've met so many like-minded people at the events and functions as well as on-line - a great circle of new friends!

Last edited by KathyS on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like chickens. I really like eggs.

I like having things to look after. I am happiest when I have a million things to do and keep fed. We already have enough dogs. I'm not a cat person. I don't want to birth any more children. I don't want more animals inside the house. We live on a farm. We have the facilities, the space and the cash for chickens and/or anything else I would ever want to raise.

I wanted something that the kids can help with. They're too small to do a lot with our cattle, and I do not like sheep or goats - for their personalities or for their meat (having had both in the past, this was an educated judgement call), and my husband does not want pigs (too stinky) - plus pigs are opportunistic carnivorous little buggers, so not good for little kids. Llamas and alpacas are completely impractical (no meat, no eggs, and I'm certainly not about to start spinning my own wool). We've had horses, but they require too much of a time commitment when it comes to keeping them in shape, and they eat too much to be able to justify keeping them unless they're being ridden more than once in a blue moon.

So, chickens were kind of a no-brainer when it came to choosing a new species to add to the farm. Low-maintenance (with the proper facilities, of course), entertaining personalities, relatively safe for children (barring the occasional evil rooster, which can be eaten), delicious eggs, delicious meat. It's a win!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:
Fowler wrote:I keep my chickens for inbreeding, reduction of productivity and the reproduction of undesirable traits as I work to destroy my chosen breeds. What a Face

Naughty, very very naughty! Laughing

Also forgot the Mhaw-Ha-Ha-Ha.....ha What a Face

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly wrote: I have to say, mostly, I keep them for the fresh eggs. Secondly, I keep enough, that egg sales pay for their feed, and the goose feed. Now they pretty much break even on a yearly basis. We have enough consumers on the property.
Lastly, I would say, I like my eclectic flock of misfits. Some of Unos favorite breeds are here. The spitzald fritzald horkenfluugen. The skreamin shitzalot poopinmakin. Yep. I like the heritage birds. I don't wanna see just a brown chicken with brown chicken buddies. I chose most breeds on their ability to lay in the winter originally. Looks were second. I can't help it. I'm a guy, we're visual creatures.

*hee hee* skreamin shitzalot poopinmakin. Brought a Smile to my face. Thanks. *hee hee*

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

When I decided to try to eat better (no soy) I started to raise
chickens. But unlike my daughter who likes a mixed flock running around
the yard feeding the preditors I wanted separate breeds. I have bred
and shown my dogs for 26 years I have shown my rabbits so moving to
showing my poultry was the next step. I chose a breed that I grew up,
the barred rock. In my area it is hard to find certain breeds.so I don't have many. I
went to the livestock conservance site and decided to try to find birds
that were not too common. I thought that as long as I am raising birds
that I may as well try to in my small way help preserve certain breeds.
Well I couldn't find the breeds I picked. I now have buff orpingtons. I have 2 roosters and 4 pullets from the
west coast. I kept the best out of 11 chicks. I have 1 rooster from a
well known show line Wisconsin and one pullet from a different show
line in the states(can't remember where, haven't had coffee yet today)
. They lay more than enough eggs for me and I sell the extras. Be
it dogs, cats, horses, chickens, there are guidelines to be
followed in the breeding of said animals. In the case of chickens its
the SOP, it describes the ideal. By trying to breed to it people strive
for that very illusive thing. That perfect chicken.

I'll never breed the perfect chicken. No one will but if along the way
we can breed the best birds we can it will help keep our chosen breeds
around for a long time. If along the way I can enjoy the antics of the
birds , eat the eggs , profit by a few cents from the sale of eggs
/birds, eat the ones that don't cut it then I'll be happy

Last edited by Rasilon on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wasn't finished had to go make coffee)

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Before I give my reasons, KathyS I so love your answer. You are cool Like a Star @ heaven

Chickens chose us when my neighbours' runaway roo docked on my doorstep after they moved and left him behind.
At first, it was for eggs. Then we discovered breeds and loved polish. I have a crest thing.

The next discovery was how relaxing it was just to watch them do their thing. Better was that I found my chickens liked being around me. They liked jumping up onto me and sticking their crests into my hand for a nice rub. Like many here, I have my own baggage and I found the chickens way better than a shrink.

I began to train them like the cage birds I used to keep. It was then they became my pets.

Showing was the next step. I always found showing cage birds to be difficult. Mainly finding top stock isn't easy and can be expensive. Chickens can be found at reasonable prices unless you are nuts like I am and fall in love with a breed like houdans. *hee hee* Going to shows has become rather fun. It's also nice that the majority of the people at the shows I go to are in the same boat. We are each learning as we go and that is cool.

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Have had chickens ever since I was a little girl. ( wow that was a long time ago) Rolling Eyes

I love watching them eating, scratching around for a bug, love holding them and talking to them. Yes I talk to them. Smile

Watching them do their chicken things can be pretty funny too.

Never forget the time my big rooster found a garter snake, he was running all around with it hanging out of his beak, all the hens chasing him. Can't remember who actually ate it though.

But the biggest thing for me is not only their beauty, eggs, use for scraps from the house, but they are "VERY" relaxing to me.

I can sit watching them, losing all sorts of time with them.

Different times if hubby did the chores, he would always ask "why" it took me so much longer, well I got very sidetracked. Lol.

I'd get fussing around with this or that, and time just flew by. Now I have a lot more time, I don't have to feel guilty anymore about my time wasting. Smile

Although, during my wasting time? If there was something wrong with somebody or something in the pen, I at least noticed it. So guess it wasn't too much of a waste. My excuse anyway.....Smile

Face it, I just love chickens Smile

19Why do you have chickens? (Inspired by a comment by Country Thyme...thanks CT!) Empty I can't help but chime in here Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey Everyone,

Perhaps many of you have read this before as it was an article I wrote for the CHB Fall 2012 newsletter, but here is it...

Why do you raise heritage breeds? Why do you raise chickens?

What is the reason you got into raising heritage breeds and where did it all start for you? We all have our first recollection of when and where it all began, for some, it may be a childhood memory of growing up on the farm, or visiting a family member’s place where in the fields the cows and horses grazed. Sounds of chatter coming from the coops, where the hens clucked, scratched and the roosters proudly crowed. Watching the spring lambs bounce about the yard in bursts of excitement, exploring their world around them. For some it’s a petting zoo, where we saw our first chicken up close.

Why do you raise chickens? It is something I often hear when I am asked what I do for a living and reply that I raise heritage breed poultry. The look on people’s faces is always that of intrigue and it gets me thinking every time, why do I?
Certainly we have all heard this many times from inquiring minds, individuals who may never had the experience of raising heritage breeds. But when was the last time we asked ourselves that question. Why Do I raise heritage breeds?
The memory of where my ventures all started is still very fresh in my mind. For me it all began in 2009 with the introduction of Ring neck pheasants my father had brought home to rear on his acreagebut it was April of 2010 when it became well, my calling. This is the start of my 4th season with raising heritage breed chickens & turkeys.Oddly in a way it feels like I have been doing this for over a century... let me explain.
Going back, The Samis Family homesteaded the Sturgeon district in the spring of 1893. In my own tree, I am the 2nd generation off the farm. My Great Grandfather John Samis & my Grandfather Melvin Samis both grew up on the family homestead in Namao, Alberta.
My Grandfather left to work as a mechanic for the city in his early 20’s. My father was born in Edmonton where he was raised and raised his own family. When my father was 22yrs, he bought himself his acreage in Parkland County and went back to the basics, somewhat back to his roots. He raised poultry himself, but on a much smaller scale than that of the Samis men before him.
In a weird coincidence my father also bought his first acreage when I was 22 years old. In a way the family has gone back to its roots, on a very small scale. Our clan is now residing in Strathcona County.
So where do chickens come into play in all of this? Well one of the biggest contributors to the success of my Great Grandfather’s farm was his poultry. He raised Light Sussex. My great grandma spoke of buying chicks in the spring for 5 cents and selling them in the fall for 25 cents. That was a lot of money in 1920’s she always would tell me.
In 2010 my Grandfather while battling cancer asked my father, if he would raise a flock of Light Sussex, as that was the breed he grew up with and he would enjoy seeing a flock of them free ranging again. We acquired, a nice flock and my Papa was very pleased. I still vividly remember the day that he came out to the acreage and I showed him our flock. The smile on his face and the look in his eyes said it all. Looking at him in that moment, you could see all the joy and his previous experiences with this particular breed just filling his memory.
It was something that brought us close together. Who knew that a flock of Light Sussex would be the icebreaker between two very stubborn and strong-minded men?

He shared his memories, opinions and advice, he too saw the passion I had in this newfound hobby and he inspired me to continue on.

With his passing came great sorrow and it was not until he was gone that the realization of how much I cared for him had set in. He was gone, but not forgotten, as every time I see a Light Sussex, I think of my grandfather, and I too smile. I am sure that if you were to stand beside me while I gaze upon a flock of light Sussex, you would see a glimpse of what I saw in his eyes that day.
So why do I raise heritage breeds, for me it’s simple. It’s just who I am. It’s who I was always meant to be and it’s in my blood. I raise heritage breeds to honor my past, to enjoy the present and to sustain and preserve for the future.

Jonathan M. Samis

Since I wrote this article, new information and insight has come my way. During the same time, in 1893 my family first arrived in Olds, Alberta, and played a huge roll of the development of the town of Olds & Innisfail. My direct lineage where I come from, settled in the Namao area around the same time. 5 Samis men all with families came rolling into town and took Alberta by storm.

Some of the info that my grandfather had told me, was very interesting, not at the time, but as I recall back now. See my grandfather and I we had a few words spoken relationship, he loved me dearly and I knew it in my heart, but we didn't speak much. My Papa, as I called him was very traditional, don't speak unless spoken to and don't speak a word of a lie. He always told me to respect who I am and give this family a good name as it has tons of history. "The Samis's were a very well respected part of Alberta's history" "Don't ruin the name" is one thing he would often tell me, "Work smart, not hard.... by working smart, you are still a hard worker"

Now to the chicken side of things, for well over 120 years my family has raised poultry, minus a 20 span when we lived in the city during my time, I don't know how far back in my family we were raising birds but that's not the point.

My grandfather shared with me stories and painted a picture of what he remembered of his youth, growing up on the farm. "The Birds back then were much bigger then the birds you have now, I remember hens weighing around 7-9lbs at butcher time, the boys some would be 10-12 lbs, but most around 10." Papa used to help his mother, my Gr,Grand mother process birds in the fall, for the market and to sell to other farmers.

Nickel chicks in the spring, I asked him where they would get the chicks from, and if they ever wintered birds. He said they would keep a few hens and a rooster or two over winter not many, for eggs and to keep the lines going. They would select the biggest most healthiest birds for breeding. In the spring they would meet up at the markets or travel to other Samis clans, and local farmer's and purchase chicks from them.

For me raising chickens started only a few years ago, but this lifestyle has grown more and more and I have modelled my life around raising birds, it's my passion, it's my therapy. Honestly it's what has been keeping me going and what has me seeing bright things ahead in the future, I hope to one day share a photo will all those who care, what I am trying to achieve, Big healthy, good laying pure heritage breed poultry, on my own farm.

Last edited by Jonny Anvil on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have truly enjoyed reading all your posts. I feel I know you all a little better now. It is amazing how a common bond can be so diverse, I love it!

My chickens are probably the most selfish thing I do. I have them for me because how they make me feel. Their open gratitude when I care for them. All the lovely personalities and antics. I am truly at peace when I sit and hang out with them.

I also have them because I enjoy the genetics and breeding behind them. I like the challenge and feeling of satisfaction I get from breeding to the ideal I have set for myself. Be it purebred or some crazy plot I have for a bird that suits my needs. See, selfish! Very Happy

For me the eggs and meat are great sidelines for me. The production qualities are important as far as the breeds go, but I would keep them even without these great benefits. They don't earn me a living, they don't win me ribbons (although they could do both these things) but they give me something I find difficult to put into words.

Good thread Sue.

I encompass much of what others write. I like having fresh eggs. I love watching my birds scratch and peck and run after treats. I love the variety of feathers in my flock - some are purebreds and many are mixed mutts. I like them all equally. I have one PB production white Leghorn, and I almost burst into tears the day when I saw her grab a dead mouse that I threw into the run, and RUN LIKE HELL with it, finding a quiet corner to do with it what she wanted. I was so happy that day with the fact that I'd been able to 'rescue' her, as I had witnessed her doing what chickens do best: Be A Chicken.

So that appeals to me too. I don't treat my birds too special. I feed and house them well, and I let them free range every possible moment I can. There is still a lot of snow on the ground outside, but yesterday I watched an intrepid hen marching across the cold crust intent on checking out something that caught her curious eye.

I take a lot of personal pride when I sell a box of mixed-colour eggs and my customer's eyes light up with delight when I show it to them. I love it when someone says "your eggs taste better than any I've had!". I make sure to try and educate them (without being a boor) about caged layers vs. true free rangers.

So mostly it has to do with the eggs my birds lay, and that in return I make sure they have a great farm life. They live protected by fences and a LGD, now, and I never cull a hen because she's stopped laying due to her age. I thank her (in my mind) for laying her guts out for me, and I smile even more for her when I see her dusting in the sunny pit in summer, mostly safe from predators and the cold hand of a production culling. In return, they provide beautiful eggs, hours of calming entertainment, and a bottomless appetite for scraps from my yard and kitchen.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I guess I forgot to mention the extra bonus of having the eggs and meat, fresh from the bounty of our land.

I've been on a soul searching mission lately.

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

why not?

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We had chickens when I was a little girl, and I played with them alot. Sometimes it got me in trouble with my dad.

Mostly I keep chickens because I like them, but also because I have no trust whatsoever in the commercial food production industry. Keeping chickens gives me a measure of control over what I eat. I also love it when friends tell me 'your eggs are the best'. I love the feeling of having what I do valued by city folk trying to source healthy food alternatives for their families. My goal is to grow the healthiest, happiest chickens I can so that they contribute to the health and happiness of me and the people around me.

I also enjoy them because my ex-husband told me I could never have chickens again after our 2 year old got stuck under the house in the spring, and I had let my chickens spend the winter under the house where it was warmer because they were freezing to death one by one in their coop. You can imagine the mess he had to crawl through to get our son free.

He's not the boss of me!! Haha. Yes, I am a baaad girl. Twisted Evil

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:
I have truly enjoyed reading all your posts. I feel I know you all a little better now. It is amazing how a common bond can be so diverse, I love it!

Oh dear, I knew eventually I would give myself away for the crazy control freak that I know I am. Maybe this goes back to the way I was raised (where did that thread of Uno's go?).

I am really not what you are thinking. Breeding chickens is the perfect combination of art and science, a balance I strive for throughout my life. Creation within a rigid framework has always brought out the best in me. It is the same way with children. Give them a piece of paper and say 'create' and you will get garbage from 99% of them. Restrict them to a set of controlling rules regarding media, colors, line, subject matter, size, detail, etc and you will inspire children to create something fabulous.

I take a great deal of pride and satisfaction in creating beautiful animals!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum