Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Living in a time warp

+11
Fowler
CynthiaM
Anna
toybarons
uno
calliope
Rasilon
mirycreek
authenticfarm
Schipperkesue
DCChick
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Living in a time warp Empty Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sadly my dad passed away. It was just yesterday, but already seems like it happened so long ago. I suppose that's because we have been so busy making arrangements.

He was diagnosed with lung cancer last February, had chemo through the summer and after a bit of a rough go for a couple of week after Christmas has been doing great. Saturday he and my brother were out and he bought him self a new drill. Last week he was up the ladder taking down Christmas lights.

Mom and I went to visit relative in SK for the weekend. Dad stayed home. He was never a traveller. My brother called him Sunday morning and he was great. He called at lunch and got no answer so went to check on him. He had collapsed in the kitchen and seem to be having a seizure. He was unresponsive after that. Mom and I drove home as fast as we could on some really bad road conditions. It took us over an hour extra to get home.

Together we decided to have him moved to palliative care at 8:30 Sunday night. He passed at 1:30 a.m. Monday.

I woke up today convinced it must be Wednesday, but my kids convinced me I was a day ahead but it still feels like many days have passed.

Must be normal, but it sure feels surreal.

2Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My condolences. I cannot even imagine what you feel, but I will soon know. Both my parents are over 80.

3Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:02 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My sympathies on your loss.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:05 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

DC chick my sympathies to you and your family.
It is Such a shock to lose a family member so suddenly like that, even when you know it is imminent Sad
I met your Dad at Milo last May. He made the coolest chairs Smile

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

5Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

thank you for all the kind words.

Miry, Dad had such a great time at Milo last year and was looking forward to it this year. I don't think he got anymore chairs made, but I know he made saddle stands to sell. I haven't booked a table yet though. Don't know if I want to do it alone...

6Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sorry to hear of your loss

7Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 pm

calliope

calliope

So sorry to hear of your loss.

8Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Haveing lost my father to cancer as well I have a good idea as to what you are feeling ,it still seems like I should be able to call / see him today ( my father ) and yet he's been gone for over ten years already .My condolences for your loss ......time does heal .

9Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:45 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

No matter how prepared you are, you're never prepared, and what you're feeling now is shock. Like a bad, out-of-body experience.

I had the same surreal experience when my dad died. It's like I could not believe it. I just could not believe it.

I am sorry for this, sorry for your mom, sorry for you. But I am grateful, as horrible as this sounds, that your dad's last days were home, with family, living his life, buying drills and being happy. It does not feel like it now but years from now you will count it as a blessing.

But for now your job is to grieve. We grieve with you and for you.

10Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

My heart felt condolences. I lost my mother 5 years ago due to heart failure caused by COPD. Thanksfully we all made our after life plans well in advance, so when she died, there was no having to deal with final preparations. It helped because I felt so weirded out. The feelings you are having will eventually become manageable as time passing. Don't let yourself feel embarsed by them. I know I would feel fine one moment, then something would remind me of mom and I would feel weird, cry. It's all part of the process. It's healthy to grive.

11Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 pm

Anna

Anna

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

12Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:56 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sigh, these things are never easy, and it is nice to have places to let our feelings out, our thoughts are with you at this sad time. Still, try to find some happiness in this day, think of the good times with this Father of yours, CynthiaM.

13Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:32 am

Awh, DC. How did I not see this post yesterday!

My most sincere of condolences; I send love your way. You will do what you feel is best for you and the memory of your father concerning the sale of saddle stands. I would love to be there with you/for you, however I just don't know how I'd get there. There is no consoling for a loss, but I am here for a neutral party if you need to just talk to an unbiased ear. You know how to get in touch with me.

I wish you all the best in these hard times, and hope you find strength in family and friends, near and far.

14Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:45 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:

I am sorry for this, sorry for your mom, sorry for you. But I am grateful, as horrible as this sounds, that your dad's last days were home, with family, living his life, buying drills and being happy. It does not feel like it now but years from now you will count it as a blessing.

I was thinking this same thing. My Grandmother was active and living on her own right up to the end. She collapsed one morning and was gone that evening. As my cousin (who is a Doctor and sees these things day in and day out) said, "It was a good death." We took great comfort in that she had watched her own mother convalesce in a bed for years and we all knew she hadn't wanted that for herself.

I am sorry for your loss.

Mighty was the fallen, meet was his ending. - J.R.R. Tolkien

15Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:54 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry for your loss, you will have some tough days ahead of you.

I went threw the same thing with my dad, he passed away Dec 8th at the age of 64 from lung cancer. He had been in the hospital for weeks and just wanted to go home. He got his wish and passed away 5 days after going home.

16Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:32 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry for your loss DC, your dad was such a great man, I am sure he will be missed emensly by you and everyone he knew.
And remember you will never be alone at a sale, you have a great supporting "chicken family" to help you out.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

17Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad not quite 2 years ago. It does get easier, but I don't miss him or love him any less.
We had some time, the quickness of this loss will take some time to sink in. Make sure and let yourself go through the whole process.
My thoughts are with you.

18Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:29 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Comfort Oh DC my condolences. I lost my mom about 5 yrs ago and it wasn't expected. It takes alot of time to deal with your emotions and take that time. I still can't listen to certain songs with out getting all teary eyed because they remind me of my mom. Your dad sounds like he was an amazing person so it was a loss to everybody.

19Living in a time warp Empty Re: Living in a time warp Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Sending my deepest sympathy to you DCHhick. I had to think too, reading your post, that your Dad had recovered some of the life taken when undergoing chemo, which I know can be so debilitating. I hope he found some satisfaction and small joy at being out and about tool-shopping, just as I hope your days of hard grieving and sorrow are brief, and you can soon remember the good times with your Dad, and smile in time. I love you

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum