Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Any fish experts on here?

+6
Susan
triplejfarms
Island Girl
appway
Fowler
Hidden River
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Any fish experts on here? Empty Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We got my youngest a small fish tank for Christmas. Got is all set up and a week later got fish. She got a cat fish and my oldest got a Molly fish. All was going well after 2 weeks so they each got one more fish, another cat fish for the youngest and a different colored Molly fish for the oldest.
Well only 3 days later the first Molly fish died (actually jumped out of the tank and we found it dead on the floor, Yikes, but we learned our lesson and the lid stays on now). A week goes by and all is good, then 3 days ago after cleaning the tank the replacement Molly fish died, and then today the second Molly fish died.
So I am at a loss? What happened?
We took a bit more than 25% of the water out, cleaned the gravel as we sucked water with the special gravel tool, and then let the new water set to room temperature with the stabilizer stuff in it and added it to the tank.

Seeming that fish tanks are much more expensive and more work than I planned, and so dont want to buy more replacements and have them all die too. So what are we doing wrong?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:38 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I never kept mollies but I did a check and they don't seem to be recommended for beginners (subject to stress and disease).

Perhaps something like a guppy or a platy. Siamese Fighting fish are beautiful (can only have one of course) and good for a mixed tank as long as you don't have anything too aggressive in there (they fight each other but not much else).

If you lose the catfish too I would check the nitrate levels.

http://www.squidoo.com/the-best-and-worst-beginner-fish-for-your-aquarium#module153663375

3Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Fowler, they said at the pet store the Mollies were a good starter fish, but I am starting to agree with you on the fact they are not...
My youngest really wanted a Beta fish but we were told they couldnt be in a tank with any other fish?

I really like the guppies, so maybe I can convince the oldest to replace her 2 mollies with some of those now and see how it goes...

4Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:01 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a beta for years and he was in a community tank. He once got his fins clipped by a bumblebee fish but he lived happliy with loaches, catfish, platys, swordtails, zebra danios and a few I'm probably forgetting (not all at once, just trying different things over time).

Betas evolved in stagnant pools and their gills finction poorly enough that they actually need to be able to reach to surface to breathe (they'll drown if they can't). This makes them a bit more tolerant of water quality too.

Hold a mirror up to him and he'll put on a display thinking it's a rival.

5Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:03 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mollys can be a good fish to start with but they also can be a problem as they do like a slight brackish water.

sounds like you are doing all the right things
do you have a heater in the Tank?
and what is the temp.
as for starter fish a nice pair of Guppy's are nice and they will breed alot and she can sell the offspring not for as much as the pet stores but a couple bucks anyway.
as for the Betta you can put it in the tank as long as no other Betta's
they can go into a community Tank with no problem as long as you dont have any of the fin nippers in with them
I have betta's in with my Ciclids and also in the other tanks
Just not with barbs and such
the pet store should replace the fish I know in the city they are guaranteed for a week
if I can be of any help let me know we have alot of fish tanks in fact to many LOL
it is my other hobby

6Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:52 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I read your link there Fowler and 2 weeks ago we actually saw little baby fish in the tank, they looked dead when we did see them but my youngest said she saw one swimming, but it died a bit later on, so as you can tell we are a bit inexperienced with all this. This is my first fishtank too, LOL.I always thought fish came as eggs first, didnt know they could have live births.

Got a replacement the first time Appway but it has been past the limit now. I think we will try the guppies, and see how that goes. Not big on baby fish if they take work, but if they happen about on their own great!

The more I read about molly fish is that maybe our tank is not warm enough for them, there is no heater, just a light but a small LED one so no heat off that. Our house sits around 19-21 degrees and it says the tank should be 25 for Molly fish to do well in...Not sure why the pet store told us they didnt need a heated tank? Maybe they need more education in the first time fish owner department...

7Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:56 pm

When I was a kid we had guppies and neon tetras and angel fish and we COULD NOT kill them if we tried, and I would say we did (not knowingly, but we didn't have a lot of parental intervention/guidance. Good luck with your new tank. I think it's a nice thing to look at, once you get the bugs ironed out. Smile

8Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Its been awhile since I have had a freshwater tank, I do saltwater now. But appway is right about the mollies preferring a brackish water. Also if you added your first fish after a week it is likey that they started a nitrate cycle which all tanks need to go through at start up. Most fish can not handle a spike in nitrate, and it can easily kill them. I would recommend having your water tested at the petstore or get your own test kits. The water tests are easy to do. The good news is that if it was the nitrate cycle that did them in your tank is probably ready now to start introducing fish. Again I would have your water tested for nitrite/nitrate and ammonia before spending any more money on fish.

XOX Monika

9Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:47 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Monika, the tank did go through a change when the first fish were added, went very cloudy and stinky, the pet store said it was the natural bacteria starting in the tank and it was good, but to start cleaning 25% of the tank weekly. So that is what we started. It wasnt until the end of the 3rd week that we now have lost fish, the first was a suicide so that doesnt count.

I did see the test kits in the store, will pick up one tomorrow when we are in there.

10Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:30 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i only ever buy goldfish i dont have any luck with other either oter than my algea eater LOl sorry cant help ya! LOL

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

11Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just don't decided to start again and change all off the water! The nitrate cycle should be getting into balance now and you don't want to wreck the balance. The lack of heater could be your problem too. Even guppies need about 23 degrees. Also, make sure the tank is not in a draught or the sun. Temp fluctuations will hurt them as well. For cold water tanks, it's best to stick with goldfish - a little fantail is cute or moors ( I love them), even the betta would be fine. Good luck! You'll get the hang of it quickly Smile

12Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh and forgot to mention, all the test kits should have an expirey date on them. Often they are outdated or very near the end, best to get one that will last a long while as fish keeping is as addictive as chickens!

XOX Monika

13Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would either get a small heater, or stick with fish that don't require heat around the 20 degree mark. Most freshwater species come from lakes around the equator and require warm water.

Ask when the fish came in. They ship them in coolers through couriers and most deaths occur from 1 to 3 days after a shipment is received. Study the rest of the fish in the tank at the store. Look for unhealthy specimens and if you see a few, avoid any in that tank.

I would suggest guppies for the beginner as they breed easily being livebearers, and are a pretty hardy fish. If things go well, you can expand into other species.

Keep in mind, catfish are predators! They have those long mandibles on their mouths to find sleeping fish at night! Very Happy

14Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:14 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

A basic ph tester is all the basic hobbyist should require. Other test kits are available, but aren't necessary unless you plan on breeding or keeping more difficult species.
I found at one place I lived, the well water went acidic in the fall, so water changes had to be treated prior to adding it to prevent shock.
Testing tap water is as important as the tank water.

15Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:43 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I agree with Hillbilly that a heater is neccesary for'tropical' fish and that Guppies are a wonderful starter fish but I repectfully disagree that a ph test kit is the only test kit a basic hobbiest should require. ph is far from the only water parameter that healthy water should entail. The test kits are an awesome tool available to you to ensure that you are giving your fish the best chance possible. Having said that test kits can be pricey and the fish store that you are buying from should and most likely will offer free water testing to their customers. That way they can help you pinpoint what may be causing certain spikes, such as nitrate or ammonia.

XOX Monika

16Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:12 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I still stand by my words. In over 40 years of raising and or breeding almost every tropical out there, ive spent more money on test kits that would be unnecesaary to the beginning hobbiest until they get into more exotic varieties.
The majority of common freshwater fish will withstand nitrite and nitrate spikes that almost noone will ever encounter.

17Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow, a lot of fish keepers here.

Is there some connection between chickens and fish? Suspect

18Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:28 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh c'mon fowler, you know you're dying to post that picture of the prehistoric long extinct link between the two. The fishken.

19Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:40 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Any fish experts on here? Chicken-Fish-12090

20Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:08 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hillbilly wrote:I still stand by my words. In over 40 years of raising and or breeding almost every tropical out there, ive spent more money on test kits that would be unnecesaary to the beginning hobbiest until they get into more exotic varieties.
The majority of common freshwater fish will withstand nitrite and nitrate spikes that almost noone will ever encounter.

ok you win you are older, lol!! I have only been breeding fresh and salt water for 39 years. Of course, this all depends on when you started. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

HR having also worked in the industry, any fish guarantee offered was commonly voided if the nitrate or ammonia read too high. The peace of mind is still worth it IMO.

XOX Monika

21Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:09 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Awesome picture Fowler! I love it.

XOX Monika

22Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Island Girl wrote:ok you win you are older, lol!! I have only been breeding fresh and salt water for 39 years. Of course, this all depends on when you started. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

HR having also worked in the industry, any fish guarantee offered was commonly voided if the nitrate or ammonia read too high. The peace of mind is still worth it IMO.

XOX Monika

What would a forum be if we didn't have different opinions?

The main reason for my saying that, is even if you only do the basics in maintaining an aquarium;
1/3 water change once per month
Dont overfeed, and don't overpopulate, you should never have a problem outside of any PH issues which only require a PH test. I was born into a household full of aquariums and continued on from there, and the only problem I ever had was with PH.
If you're new to the hobby, this is something you may not get serious with, so spending excess money on unnecessary items is something I would never suggest to someone unless I knew they were going to get serious about it immediately.

That said, I don't know if anything about a filter was mentioned, but keep in mind, you're controlling an ecosystem, so you should have some basic sort of filtration if you dont already.
Also of note, we talked about a heater, but the warmer the water, the faster the bad microorganisms life cycle is, so you want to have a temperature that is suggested for the fish type, but not too warm.

23Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:42 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear you are having trouble Hidden.

I had fish when I was young and loved them. Used to sit and watch them for hours. Tetras, guppies, angel fish and I did have one fighting fish. He was a beautiful bluey colour from what I remember. I loved the fancy catfish too. I can't remember some of the others, I used to just go and pick a few a couple times a year. I don't remember losing any very often, It would have stood out I am sure.

I also had a tank in a before and after school program I ran years ago. Same thing again. I did have a heater and a filter in mine. I never lost any in that tank and it was the kids that did all the looking after. It was a big hit. Some of the most hyper kids would sit quietly and watch for a long time. I never REALLY got into it obviously and it sounds like I did quite a few things wrong as I never did anything the experienced people here are mentioning. I did seem to have happy healthy fish though.

You will get it I am sure. I had hours of fun as a kid and even as an adult I enjoyed them and the kids really did love them all. Just like TV only better! Laughing

24Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:49 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I had Molly's and other Live Breeders for a while. I found they liked to have their water heated but other then that they were pretty tough fish. I would go with either guppies (if you want live breeders) of just get a few comets (cheap goldfish). They don't care about the water temp and they are very colorful. I have 3 that are 4 years old. Tough fish!

25Any fish experts on here? Empty Re: Any fish experts on here? Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:00 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, goldfish can be tough. My cousin had a redcap that got too big so he put it in our Grandparents spring (isolated pool, no native fish but lots of bugs to eat). We saw it there for three years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum