Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Onion ring dinner, but not the recipe in this thread

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oooohya. Bad dinner night. Greasy, grimey, but oh man, winter comfort food, gotta be bad now and then, and we were bad.

It was the day to try a new recipe for onion rings. Onion rings are one of my favourite foods to eat and just needed to learn how to make the product that I know can be made. So I searched through recipes on the internet and found one (with a video that went along with it) that seemed like it would be the perfect onion ring to grace our table. Of course, as usual, and every day, we also had a Caesar salad, with my own mayonnaise and garlic to go in the salad. That counteracted the bad, greasy food that we ate right? Well, I feel justified. It is OK, I sooth my soul.

So yes, I will make a post in the recipe section for how to make this awesome batter that actually sticks to the onions in the recipe section. This post was just to get the thoughts about what’s for dinner tonight happening, for those that want to be bad, smiling. We will probably have them again soon, but with a variation to the recipe.

We have a pretty cool deep fryer and the temperature goes above the recommended 350 degrees for the cooking of the onion rings. And it seems to do something, wherein little oil is absorbed into the product, be it fries or what. I know. I have measured how much is used up after the cooking process, and it really is not very much gone from the unit. Our Grandson’s favourite dinner meal is shephard’s pie and then the next one is French fries. Got pictures to support that, smiling.

Enjoy the pictures, if anyone interested, there will be a recipe and instructions made next in the recipe section. And, do have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

Before cooking and after (given, right??)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Cooking, and yes the batter stays in place

The dinner. Onion rings and a beautiful Caesar salad

Oh yes, and need to tell what a stew looks like with quinoa in it. Horrible. This was our Daughter’s attempt at a healthy beef stew. It tasted pretty much OK, but let me tell ya, sure didn’t like how the quinoa looked like a bunch of half moon worms. It was not appetizing and I found it very hard to like it. Besides, she put some kind of spice in that I did not like the taste of and it was just way to hot, spicey hot for me to eat it. Ich....I like quinoa in a salad, like we had at Chicory Farm’s place last summer, but in a stew. Of all the nerve!!

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah Roo, quinoa, it is kind of like a cereal, but called a pseudocereal cause it is not really a cereal, smiling. It seems to be all the rage right now. Personally, not a big fan of it, I would rather eat other grain/cereal type things in place of potatoes. It has many uses and it is basically a seed of a plant. You should google it, pretty interesting stuff.

It is pronounced "keenwa", to me it is ichy. Probably gonna get my hand slapped for saying that, but I don't care. I don't like it much. Rice is much nicer, or wild rice is even better (which is actually grass variety seeds, not really wild rice at all). And I love potatoes, so they come before any other kind of starchy thing I want to eat.

The husk of the quinoa seed has to be removed prior to eating (so I have read), so must be a kind of difficult thing for the ordinary person, who does not have a mill, to process. I don't know. You should try it, it is an interesting food, regardless of how I feel about it. Awesome days, CynthiaM.

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love Quinoa, especially in a salad. if you dont cook it too much is does not uncurl. It is a little more appetising then.

Cynthia, you post is exactly why I do not own a deep frier!

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I really like quinoa salad. I had a vegetarian on my staff and she got me hooked on it at a company pot luck. I started experimenting at home, there all kinds of versions you can do. It is a great salad on a hot summer day when you don't want hot food but want a good meal. Goes great with curry type spices.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum