Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A chicken dinner

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A chicken dinner Empty A chicken dinner Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:59 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

This could have gone under recipes, but it is not a recipe, just an accounting of a meal.

A few months ago, I traded 3 cockerels for a free range meat bird. Being that my Husband is a lacto-vegetarian, I would never cook a whole bird at our home. To that end, that is where my children take over. They have family meals, which they cook, and we all go for dinner, taking turns at their homes. Can't see cooking a chicken here for just one person. So, yesterday seemed a good day for my youngest gal to cook up this fine chicken. She did. And she roasted it. I carved it, she did everything else (and what a fine cook this gal has turned out to be).

We had all of us, there is 8 in total (well 7 actually as my Husband chooses not to eat anything that has had life system, that even goes as far down the food chain as to prawns, and the like, he eats eggs, milk, veggies, nothing that has lived though).

This bird was like a small turkey. Between all of us hungry people there was still left over bird. I took some home so I can have a chicken sandwich today, and there was still some left over for the hungry children to eat for school lunches!!

How on earth can a bird have so much meat on it. That befuddles me and I am now hooked on that homegrown, grass raised bird....the only birds that I have ever consumed that were homegrown were my own. And let me tell you, they were just "regular" chickens, not that bred-for-size bird, that clearly this gal was.

Wow, I am still in a state of disbelief, but grateful and now know what a "meat" bird, which has been raised on a farm, really tastes like. And let me say, it was an amazing event, even the lack of oily fat in the gravy made me surprised as the days are now getting short. Praise for that bird that graced our table. Hmmmm...almost 8:00 and I am yearning for that chicken sandwich for my lunch, smiling. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

2A chicken dinner Empty Re: A chicken dinner Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:50 am

Carol D

Mmmmmmmmmm, sounds yummy. My son is vegan (it's a health issue that I won't go into here) and the rest of us don't eat a lot of meat these days but I still love the smell of a chicken or turkey in the oven. Enjoy your sandwich! sunny

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum