Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silkie Bantam, this is for you.

+3
Fowler
rosewood
uno
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Empty Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:50 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Having a family moment the other night, putting up the tree. Horsey Daughter and Hubby jamming the fake limbs into the real tree trunk I drilled full of holes. Handy that you can shove this tree flat against a wall and put the branches where you want them.

I putter in the kitchen putting up wreaths and candlesticks and other Christmas paraphenalia. Horsey Daughter is hanging the decorations. THe glass Santa from the 30s gets a place of honour near the top. SHe remarks how she remembers these decorations from when she was very little. I remember some of them from when I was little!

She picks up a decoration. A handmade sheep, meticulously done in coiled paper. There is handwriting on the back that she reads aloud, "From Silkiebantam, to remember the Cross Canada Quilt, Christmas 2010".

Many of you were part of that event. It has faded from many minds, as these sorts of things do. But it holds a fond place in my heart for all the unexpected things that grew from it.

Since that cross Canada undertaking, I have developed an ongoing friendship with Blackdove, who has become very dear to me. We have never met. We may never. But we talk everyday. We have found a kindred spirit in each other, a blessing to each of us, a support. I would never have expected it, yet there it was and I am thankful for it.

As we were collecting donations for Heifer International, handwritten notes and cards came pouring to my house and as I've said before, each envelope I held in my hand was like holding the hand of the person who wrote it. I felt a real, personal connection with each act of faith that sent money to my home, with no guarantee other than my word. I was so deeply honoured. Here it is going into Christmas 2012, and I still have every letter that was sent to me. Every one. I am not a keeper, but I have kept those.

Sometimes children wrote to me. Squiggly kid writing in crayon with wild illustrations of their moms and dads and siblings and dogs. I wrote those kids back. I said thank you. And for a short time there was letter exchanging. Kids get bored and move on to other things and that is as it should be. But while they wanted to write letters, I was game. I had kid art on my fridge for a long time. I am so lucky.

One of the little girls I wrote to was SilkieBantam's daughter. She told me about her adventurous life in Usk. Silkie made and sent me that decoration the Christmas of the Quilt year. I cherish it. It has a special place. Not all the decorations can go on the tree. But that one does.

I truly hope that Silkie reads this and knows that she is thought of, missed, encouraged and valued. I hope she knows what memories came flooding back when Daughter lifted her white, lovely sheep out of the decoration box. I hope all of you pause to ponder that sometimes the small acts you do, which seem trivial, can have far reaching and profound impact. That each of you can do more good that you can possibly imagine. Small acts with big effects. That quiet, white sheep that Silkie made for me reminded me of the many people whose trusting and hopeful spirits got a crazy quilt project off the ground,across this vast country of Canada and livestock purchased somewhere for someone who needed them. Awesome. The whole thing was awesome. And we were there together.

To children who write in crayon, to giving people who jump onboard projects, to helpful people who reach out to those in need, to those who know how to encourge and those who make us laugh. Those who listen and those who punch us on the shoulder and tell us to suck it up. To those who are still here with us and those who have moved on from the site into other life adventures. Those people are you, dear WCPSer. You. Merry Christmas.

2Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Empty Re: Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, you put a couple tears in my eye. I often think of both you and Silkie.

Our tree quite literally fell at our feet the other day. We had waited longer in seeking out a tree as we had hoped the Gkids could help us find one, but Christmas is a busy time for them especially with the youngest having his birthday, an event he asked waited for with the impatience of a child. It came down to just Oma and I wading through knee deep snow in heavy boots. A week earlier and we could have worn running shoes. The heavy snow broke the top off a tree as we approached and we took it as the tree. I found some decorations that bring back memories of passed Christmas. Oma put a few Christmas bells that hung on my family's trees some 50 years ago. A candle holder with a puppy next to a chimney brought back a flood of memories of teaching as some student gave that to me as his present to his teacher 30 years ago and I wonder where that boy has travelled since his school days.

Merry Christmas

3Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Empty Re: Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:10 am

uno wrote:Those who listen and those who punch us on the shoulder and tell us to suck it up.

Huh? Wha?? That's me, right? Okay! Merry Christmas to you too Uno! And all of you. I love you

xo

4Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Empty Re: Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm glad you liked my wild illustrations but is my writing really squiggly? I LIKE crayons is all!

5Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Empty Re: Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:21 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have never met you silkiebantam but was also thinking of you just this past weekend as I looked up your donair recipe on ACE and enjoyed making it for the second time. You are thought of, you are missed and i wish you peace and happiness wherever you are.

6Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Empty N Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You guys are so wonderful! You made me cry. The people that I have come to know here over the last few years are special indeed.

The other day we decorated the tree here at my parents. Upon it my mom placed a little paper sheep, that she too keeps year to year. We also have some older decorations and homemade one. Love how looking at them reminds you of people and times.

Today I went and picked up keys to my apartment. We will be moving into it after Christmas. I'm really looking forward to spending Christmas here with my parents and family. That's what it's all about. Being surrounded by those who you love.

I frequently think of you good people here. A few weeks ago I was telling someone about the wonderful thing that so many beautiful people across Canada did with the quilt. I work at an awesome craft store and we sell all sorts of fabrics and often when I am cutting it I think of the quilters on the poultry sites.

I do pop in once in a while to see what everyone is up to. Hopefully when things are more settled I'll be able to stop in more often. I miss you guys!

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

7Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Empty Re: Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Have a very merry Christmas Silkie.
And enjoy your new apartment and new
life venture.
All the best in the new year.

8Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Empty Re: Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:26 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Have a very merry Christmas Silkie.
And enjoy your new apartment and new
life venture.
All the best in the new year.

9Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Empty Re: Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:34 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is where you got the award.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That chicken quilt was a well done project. I can't sew but I can bask in the reflected glory.

Glad your doing well Silkie. Merry Christmas!

10Silkie Bantam, this is for you. Empty SK this is for you Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 am

chanta

New Here

Uno once again you absolutely amaze me with your power of word and how it makes us all feel!So hope the feelings you shared last throughout the Xmas season and coming year,for you. Silkie Bantam glad to hear Happy Vibes from you and yours. Merry Christmas to all!!!! Cal

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum