Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ravens just moved up my friendly list

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Ravens just moved up my friendly list Empty Ravens just moved up my friendly list Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:36 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Because of where we live, we get a lot of dead deer and elk carcasses from cougars and hunters. Hunters also dispose of their hides and bones down our road (illegal by the way) so ravens and Turkey vultures are plentiful out here.
This morning I see about 15 in the back corner of the property, so I go out to see what's dead this time.
No carcass, no bones. Nothing but lots of grey papery looking stuff.
They have discovered a big wasps nest and ripped it apart for the tasty little treats inside.
This ones new to me. I never would have guessed ravens would eat them.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

New for me too. I've seen where squirrels have ripped into the nests for whatever brood might be left at the end of the season but I've never heard of ravens. Very interesting.

3 Ravens just moved up my friendly list Empty Re: Ravens just moved up my friendly list Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:33 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yea, another pro- raven convert. I must admit that my love for ravens was highly put to the test this year after they obliterated my first gosling hatch in a particularly gruesome way, but after capping all my coop runs I can go back to appreciating the beautiful, intelligent creatures that they are.

My favorite memory is watching an unkindness of ravens playing in the warm updraft above Drayton Valley.

4 Ravens just moved up my friendly list Empty Re: Ravens just moved up my friendly list Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:39 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Although I've taken a shot or two at a few of them, I've always liked them. Very smart. They can tell the difference between a broomstick and a gun. I showed someone this once. I held a broomstick up like a gun aiming it at them and nothing. I grabbed a gun, and they immediately dispersed.
I welcome them here as they clean up the carcasses pretty quickly.

5 Ravens just moved up my friendly list Empty Re: Ravens just moved up my friendly list Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:26 am

That's why they call you Hillbilly! Pretend guns...shootin' broomsticks! Ha. I would have liked to have been a fly on a wall for that one. And the ravens are pretty smart. Can you imagine what they were saying to each other...

"Look at that hillbilly down there aiming at us with his broomstick!"

lazyfarmer

When I point something at them it is deffinately not a broomstick. BANG

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly wrote: Although I've taken a shot or two at a few of them, I've always liked them. Very smart. They can tell the difference between a broomstick and a gun. I showed someone this once. I held a broomstick up like a gun aiming it at them and nothing. I grabbed a gun, and they immediately dispersed.

How interesting. I know people who are the opposite. Don't mind guns at all but the sight of a broom (dust cloth, sink full of dirty dishes, etc) and they disappear. lol!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:
Hillbilly wrote: Although I've taken a shot or two at a few of them, I've always liked them. Very smart. They can tell the difference between a broomstick and a gun. I showed someone this once. I held a broomstick up like a gun aiming it at them and nothing. I grabbed a gun, and they immediately dispersed.

How interesting. I know people who are the opposite. Don't mind guns at all but the sight of a broom (dust cloth, sink full of dirty dishes, etc) and they disappear. lol!

Hey! I live with one of those! We shall call them Anti-Ravens!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum