Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Comment on Uno's STEP BY STEP BASKET TUTORIAL

+4
uno
Hillbilly
coopslave
Schipperkesue
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

In an attempt to unclutter the tutorial I offer this thread for comments. I think questions should be PMed to Uno as per her request.

I have a comment.

Uno, your nails are beautiful! How do you manage that? Or are you employing a hand model for your tutorial?

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now I have to go and have a look.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are right Sue, not enough hard work being done by that woman!

Hidden would you mind removing my post in the Tutorial thread so it can stay cleaner?

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Uno, are you employed by the Easter Bunny? That would answer one of the two questions I have for him pertaining to the origin of things I got at Easter...

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

In the spirit of Uno bashing I present exhibit 1. My hand.

This is a hand of hard work. Note the wrinkles, the red patches, the tattered cuticles and chewn nails.

Uno,you must be a poseur. No self respecting farm gal would ever have such beautiful hands. If those are truly your hands, tell us your secret!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm......Sorry Sue, I can't participate in hand, picture posting. Even though I take pleasure in giving Uno a hard time about here nails, mine and not always super well kept, but strong as steel and grow like weeds and often present as not quite a working hand. Well, the wrinkles and dryness and suns spots are there, but the nails do lie!!! Very Happy

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Have you all lost your minds?

I was just moaning to Horsey Daughter that I have hands like an old hag. Too many years of washing dishes by hand. But thanks anyway, you're just buttering me up because you all want an impacted crop surgery tutorial. Not going to happen, people, not going to happen.

I will tell you a hand story. (aren't I just full of stories?) IT was my beloved little Grandmother, who spent her childhood in Siberia, who taught me to quilt when I was 17. She tried to talk me out of it, told me it was a terrible addiciton, that I would lay awake at night thinking about quilts. She was right. Then she grasped my hand in hers and examined it and burst out laughing. Like Santa her whole tummy would og up and down when she laughed. She was a tiny ittle white haired thing who always wore cotton house dresses and an apron. She was like the perfect Norman Rockwell Grandma and all 43 Grandchildren adored her. But she scoffed at my hands.
"Vut can you do vis zees vurm fingers?"
"What?"
"You haf vurm fingers."
"What are vurm fingers?"
"VUrms! Vurms! Vut crawl in zee dirt, earth vurms. You have zee short, fat fingers, vas can dey make?"

Well, despite my worm fingers Grandma taught me how to quilt, Grandpa built me my own frame and it has been a life long love. And my Grandma who passed years ago has also been a life long love. I owe her much. But I am a little sensitive about my short, squat hands. But man..they've done a lot!

But yup, my nails do look good in those pics! Now, stop!

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Can anyone help me with photobucket?

I download my photos and it seems to pick a size for them to show up as. I am finding these pics a little small, but I don't know how to make them bigger, or how much bigger?

I am sorry if these pics are too small to be useful. If it is a problem, please tell me. I often see larger pics posted here and wonder how people do that?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

News flash! Uno seeks help for own tutorial! Sorry Uno. I use photo bucket for iPad. My advice would be worse than useless.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Change the resolution on your camera so the original picture size is larger MP format.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use Picasa and I can pick the size before it goes to photobucket.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Perhaps it would be easier if you did not possess vurm fingers.

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Shipperkesue said:

Perhaps it would be easier if you did not possess vurm fingers.

He he he he Laughing

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

True, I am cursed with vurm fingers.

Hibbilly (yes, I realize that is a typing error, but I think it has a nice ring to it.) My camera takes MASSIVE pictures! I was not aware that I can change the resolution at camera level. Will have to look into that.

Coopslave, I use Picasa too and hate it with a passion. Not used to it. What size do you size to for posting to this forum?

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ono (i think youre onto something with these typos), the pictures I post here, I take with my phone, then upload to photobucket on my phone as well. (It's much easier from the comforts of the couch).
I don't resize them at all.

Last edited by Hillbilly on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : friggin autocorrect!)

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, I LOVE Picasa. I love to edit all the pictures I take.

I usually change my pictures to around 400 but I think you may want them around 600 to be a bit bigger.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

All my pictures on my camera are in a high resolution. When I want to take pictures from my computer to photobucket to bring online, I resize them to a format that is under 100 kb, then upload to photobucket. I always have internet pictures in separate folders, depending on what they are. I use a program called VSO image resizer, very, very simple and of course free. I ask the picture to be resized to 640 X 480 when I right click and the image resizer program comes up, this is internet friendly and can be used for dial up people to view as well. Give that one a whirl, it is pretty good and did I mention it is simple to use? Have that awesome day, CynthiaM.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno do I cut my cord in half before i start..Just wondering cause you said you can get 2 baskets out of one cord

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER cut the cord!

You only cut your cord when the basket is 99% the size you want. BUt if you cut the cord and decide you want the basket bigger...it is rather tricky to join two cords. I've done it, but it is not ideal. (although on really big projects, you have to)

Also, it is very difficult to predetermine exactly how many feet of cord makes how big a basket until you've done it a few times and have a feel for it. As you're sewing away you might decide, yeah, I want to stop here, and then you just finish off, as I'll show you. But if you cut the cord and wish you had more..you're out of luck.

So let that extra cord remain where it is until the end.

Are you starting this project already? Wow. Need pics! Share.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Haven't started yet but i have the cord and I am just going to cut my strips of fabric Very Happy

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Prairie Chick, I am dying for an update!

Has this tutorial been helpful to anyone?

I will show how to make an oblong basket if anyone is interested. It's pretty much the same with a small difference. WOn't be difficult to tutorialize (new word).

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Will update tomorrow, have to go with dh to a doc appointment today...fun friggin fun!

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok Uno i am still wrapping but i have all different colors, I am worried it isn't going to look good. Also do i wrap the entire 100 feet before i can start forming it?

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

NO NO NO! Do NOT wrap all 100 Feet. Good Gordon, girl!

Start by wrapping 4 or 5 feet then sew your coil. Then wrap a few more feet 3 or 4, and sew that...this way you decide the size and shape of your bskst as you go. As it gets closer to the size you are happy with, just wrap short sections at a time.

Look back over the tutorial pics and see that only short chunks of cord are wrapped at a time.

MY baskets are also random colours. I have the colurs separated into zip lock bags. Greens in one bag, browns and blacks in another bag, creams, beiges and taupes, light neutrals in another bag...Then I just select strips as they please my eye. I can never predict how a basket will turn out. Some that I think will be gorgeous are not so great, and others that I think will be a train wreck turn out great! Some people have the gift of looking at fabrics and knowing how the project will look. I have never had that ability. For me the end result is always a surprise.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Alrighty then [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.], I guess i will be doing some sewing today Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum