Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rough Winter Ahead?

+8
Schipperkesue
Hillbilly
coopslave
pfarms
poplar girl
rowdyrooster
Susan
Fowler
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:27 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've been noticing some of you guys out west have been getting snow already. I had mentioned in another thread that I recently started birdwatching, or rather, being a bit more organized about it.

I have been noticing that the winter birds seem to be turning up early. I've seen people saying the same on birding sites. Makes me wonder if we're in for a bad one.

2Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:30 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think so. Loooonnng moult, really variable temps and lots of snow. Weird Fall weather

3Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 pm

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

Well now, Fowler, if you go by the fishermen, they are saying the Atlantic water is 5 degrees higher than normal and it is going to stay like this till mid January. If you go by the fishermen.

4Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:41 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Is it still considered fall when you know there's snow on the ground that'll stay until spring?

I think it might be a tough winter Fowler...but then we has a very easy winter last year and mother nature does like balance.

5Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I think that it will be a hard winter. At least in this area. Leaves turned and fell early. Jersey's all started to get winter coats early. The geese arrived earlier then usual. Our ponds are frozen enough the coyotes have been walking over them. The horses also got their winter coats early. We have already had -28C temps here along with a foot of snow.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

6Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:18 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

The forecast I heard was much lower temps than normal and less precipitation.

Poplar girl, AB had a decent winter last year but we had a tough one. Cold and tons of snow that came early and a very, very late spring.

7Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Still 10 degrees at night here on the wet coast which is way higher than usual. I was in my tshirt on the weekend at 14 degrees.

8Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Aw, come on you guys! You know you can't predict the weather any more than 24 hours in advance! Sheesh!

9Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Don't know about the birds ? we still have Robins around here ? and it rained last night and then turned to wet snow ?? I have heard that we will have a mild winter with little snow ,and then they say it will be a cold one with LOT'S of snow ? I think it's like this ........they can't get ther five day forcast right ! never mind a few months ahead in the year ! I'll look outside and see what it's like and go from there ! If the Deer are feeding during daylight hours on the fields then I know there will be something coming .

10Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Won't listen....it's not science.....fingers in my ears....bla, bla, bla, bla, bla......

11Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Schipperkesue wrote:Won't listen....it's not science.....fingers in my ears....bla, bla, bla, bla, bla......
...................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

12Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:34 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think I could still find robins around here too. They are about the last to leave and the first to return. But yesterday I saw two fair sized flocks of Bohemian Waxwings. It feels early for them so it makes me think the weather has maybe driven them South.

13Rough Winter Ahead? Empty i Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:01 am

What does the Farmer's Almanac say? Does anyone read it? How does it work? Does it predict local areas or just in general regionally?

14Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Farmers almanac covers regions, like western Canada, southwestern BC, prairies, etc.
For us it is saying less snow and warmer temperatures than normal for this winter. 2013 is supposed to be an ugly winter according to them.

15Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:18 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

farmchiq wrote:What does the Farmer's Almanac say? Does anyone read it? How does it work? Does it predict local areas or just in general regionally?

The FA says BC is going to have a typical winter for both coast and interior. Then a pleasant spring with average weather conditions.

AB is a normal prairie winter, likely not as cold as some. With spring expected to arrive on time with few surprises.

Lets see if the FA is right. I hope so! Very Happy

16Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:40 pm

I guess the question these days is, what is "normal" and "regular" anyway? scratch

17Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Almanac? Oh, yeah, that's really scientific! Who writes those things anyway? A bevy of old Babas? *She scoffs audibly*

18Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:31 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well what I can predict is ..................... if I went outside tonight I might slip on hail collecting on my doorstep. Brrrr - slighty reminiscent of winter weather Snowman Cold and windy!!

But I be happy if warmer weather would Hatching out again and the sunny would shine.

19Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:31 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Just for you Sue, the pig's spleens are long and narrow predicting a long but not too snowy winter. In fact, the way my buddy "read" them, they showed early heavier snow fall and less as winter progresses.
Last year the spleens read the same way and were accurate, except they didn't predict the early heavy snows, but a more evenly distributed amount, which is how the weather played out. The year before they were short and fat predicting -accurately I might add, a very snowy winter.
If this year's prediction is correct, that will be three for three. I still will keep track for years to come though. It is a bit of a game for us, and cheaper than an Almanac.

20Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pig spleens! Auntie Evil, thank you for humouring me!

Here is a question. If I eat a long narrow pig spleen will it give me extra bodily warmth for the long but not too snowy winter?

21Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:05 pm

auntieevil wrote:Just for you Sue, the pig's spleens are long and narrow predicting a long but not too snowy winter. In fact, the way my buddy "read" them, they showed early heavier snow fall and less as winter progresses.
Last year the spleens read the same way and were accurate, except they didn't predict the early heavy snows, but a more evenly distributed amount, which is how the weather played out. The year before they were short and fat predicting -accurately I might add, a very snowy winter.
If this year's prediction is correct, that will be three for three. I still will keep track for years to come though. It is a bit of a game for us, and cheaper than an Almanac.
........strange how those old "" experts "" seemed to know more then the current up to date ones ? I heard of a old fellow who lived in Saskatchewan that had done just this for years ( all animals )and was always bang on ? Nature tells you a lot more if you are only willing to listen !

22Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:35 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

If you heavily coat the pig spleen and drown it in huge amounts of oil, it should help, for a couple days, to keep you warm.
Many people here were raised learning the old ways from their parents and grandparents. Reading the animal entrails is an old custom, and I am very curious to see how accurate it is over the course of our keeping pigs.
If anyone else wants to get in on the testing of the spleen, I'd appreciate it. Now to remember to ask next fall....

23Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:17 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hear if you soak a pig spleen in oil then set it on fire it will provide some lovely warmth in the coops for a few hours.

24Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:32 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Having pig's spleens in the barn sure help keep it warm. They need to still be functioning inside the animal though for the best heat gain.
Very Happy

25Rough Winter Ahead? Empty Re: Rough Winter Ahead? Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Auntie Evil, you are making me laugh today in spite of my sickness. Perhaps soothsaying is a future career for you?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum