Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please!

+2
coopslave
Schipperkesue
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Empty Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think this question has Tara written all over it... But I would like as much input as possible. What constitutes a sprig on a comb? Especially single and pea combs. Do you have any pictures? I would especially like to see sprigs that are easy to miss and hard to detect.

Show me your sprigs!

2Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Empty Re: Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:52 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sprigs are usually easy to see on a male, single comb. Tougher on females, but if you look close you can usually see them. I have not thought of them on a pea comb, does that happen?
I am not sure if I have any photos of them or not, will have to go through the archives. Very Happy

3Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Empty Re: Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:54 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh! You had me jumping with anticipation. In my haste I missed that there was not an "n" in "sprig". A beautiful spring day does have a standard of perfection, but I'll step aside after a completely off topic post.

4Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Empty Re: Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:05 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I just read here:
http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html#gen_mut_comb
that sprigs are a single comb modifier. Still looking.

5Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Empty Re: Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:11 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, some very interesting stuff here!
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=101249

This is one point made in that thread:
Doesn't Asmundson's study show that sprigs are polygenic and dominant? From what I have read it sure seems to act that way. A dominant trait is going to eventually increase within a given population, but if it only expresses in the presence of another gene, it will lie latent until that other gene is introduced.

I think this is why folks with a closed flock often don't find carnation combs or sprigs until they bring in outside blood that possesses the other "half" of the carnation comb A+B combination.

If it were simple autosomal recessive, it seems the carnation comb and sprigs would not persist in so many knowledgeable breeders' lines.

If it is indeed polygenic and requires two dominant genes to express a sprig or carnation comb, it could act as a single autosomal recessive.

Aabb x aaBb Two clean combed carriers

AabB - sprig
Aabb - clean comb carries one half of sprig combo
aabB - clean comb carries other half of sprig combo
aabb - clean comb, non-carrier (the holy grail!)

This gives you the same 75/25 ratio as two heterozygous autosomal recessives. It's just trickier to test breed and eliminate.

6Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Empty Re: Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:11 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah spring, just around that long and dark corner. Oops, you meant sprigs....I thought spring too, have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

7Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Empty Re: Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

8Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Empty Re: Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:Sprigs are usually easy to see on a male, single comb. Tougher on females, but if you look close you can usually see them. I have not thought of them on a pea comb, does that happen?
I am not sure if I have any photos of them or not, will have to go through the archives. Very Happy

I believe they also pop up on V-combs too. I have a couple of Polish roos that have bumps that cause their V-combs to sort of split. I think those are sprigs so I have never showed them. Pets as one is an excellent barn roo.

Houdans combs are another matter that leave me wondering is it a sprig? The breed originally had a leaf comb. That comb was bred out to become a V comb. Sometimes I get really good roos that do have nice V combs BUT at the base there are two often perfect little combs which one might say are sprigs. One such little cockerel I'm going to be showing anyway just to see what the judge says.

9Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Empty Re: Pondering Sprigs... Pictures please! Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think Houdan combs are all sprig and no comb!

The reason why I say single and peaks because theses are the combs I have and was hoping to see pictures of issues in both. I guess I should have included v combs too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum