Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sir Loin or Patty - which cow will taste better?

+3
authenticfarm
coopslave
harrop'shens
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Okay, I am looking for advice from you cow ranchers! We have a cow named Patty who is about 24 months old and Sir Loin, a steer, who is about 18 months. I think she is a highland cross, jet black and shaggy and I think he is a Red Angus. We aren't sure about their pedigree, it was a sudden cow acquisition from a local farmer/vet who buys beef cattle.

Sooooo, my question is. . . .which one will produce the best quality, tender meat? Can you tell cow vs steer which one will be better? :letseat:

These pictures are from the day we got them in July and they are significantly bigger now. Just thought I would add some pictures to see if anyone has ideas about their breeds. We are processing them on Fri, Oct 19th.

Thanks!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I personally usually enjoy heifer meat better than steer but going by the pictures you have posted of the pair of them, Sir Loin looks to be the better beef animal.

Maybe if you post updated pictures they may be a better indication.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sir Loin is screaming his deliciousness. And younger is better - more tender!

We don't generally differentiate by gender when we choose an animal for the freezer. One year, though, we had to butcher a full-grown bull (broke his leg) and that meat was much tougher than what we're used to, and had a different taste ... it mostly went into ground beef.

At our local auction, the red Angus-type steers typically command the best prices. I gotta figure it's because they're sooooo yummy! Wink

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Hi all,
Thank you all very much for the replies and I am sorry that I haven't posted photos or a reply.

First the good news - Patty tastes better, good marbling, very tender and 284 lbs per side. Sir Loin tasted really good as well, 292 lbs per side, less marbling and smaller steaks than Patty, but still very tasty!! I could happily eat either one which is a good thing. :letseat:

Now the bad news, the reason why I haven't been able to reply is that I was in Vancouver being diagnosed with breast cancer. I am 40 yrs old and will be having a mastectomy in January. Just waiting for an MRI to determine whether it will be a single or double. It isn't invasive cancer so no radiation or chemo, surgery will take care of all of it. Really makes you stop and think about life.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

As I get older I pay more and more attention to stories such as yours, and you are right. It does make you stop and think. I am glad it is not invasive and Godspeed with your surgery.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Prayers, thoughts, encouragement and healing to you.

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Harrop's Hens, nice to hear about the goood meat, soo to speak or steak Very Happy yummmmm!

Fear not the path you are about to imbark, I had invasive, lymthnode involved breast cancer, had a 25 percent chance of survivial, had the mastectomy, chemo and radition and almost 9yrs later still here. The advancement of treatment for breast cancer is amazing, you'll do just fine. Live your life, if at anytime during your treatment you need to talk to someone outside your support circle, please feel free to PM or e-mail me. Godspeed!!

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jen, you are strong, you are kind, you are beautiful. You will again be well. Scarey stuff, but you keep that chin up, that is where you will find strength, don't let things bring you down. You know that there are many people that are sending well wishes from far away. Any needs. Let others know. With that, have a good day, look to your children...they will always bring you joy Smile CynthiaM.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Harrops, very sorry to heard about this, but thank you for sharing it with us. Sometimes venting in the written word, to people that are cyber friends can help. Glad you know we are here for you.

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies. I am having a double mastectomy next week. The cancer is only in the left but I have decided to have both removed because I can't go through this or put my family through this again. I will have them both removed and reconstructed at the same time. A decision that was very painful to make. Some lymph nodes will be removed and tested as well but the MRI showed that the cancer was contained and hadn't metastasized.

I have agreed to go smaller so I can have an easier reconstructive surgery. I told the plastic surgeon that I didn't want to wake up as Dolly Pardon or back in high school (I was relentlessly tormented in high school for small breasts. Children changed all that!).

I'll have lots of time on my hands in two weeks. Look forward to getting back into the funny chicken and farming stories!

Happy Farming!
Jen

PS - Had to edit to say the beef has been totally amazing!! Super tender and flavourful. We kept Patty!

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dear girl, thank you for posting. You lap is full right now. There will be time again when you are full of health and vitality, take time to recover from the surgery, don't hurry anything....and voila....the ol' gal will be right back. You know we send these wishes to you, with loving thoughts. And oh, well, how nice that the steer tasted so wonderful, yay!!! Have a beautiful day, with our thoughts to you, CynthiaM.

You're a brave woman, and you'll do well.

All the best to you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum