Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can goats taste spicy [things, like hot sauce, OI! LOL]?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Better question, if they can, are they repelled by it or interested in it?  I was thinking if I mixed up a concoction of spicy red pepper and sprayed it on plants if it would deter them from eating them?  I don't think it'd harm the plants.  I could also steal some of the vodka for future use and make chile extract for this very purpose.

Last edited by Sweetened on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Why yes, yes they can!

Jamaican Goat Curry Recipe

• Prep time: 30 minutes
  • Cook time: 3 hours

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6-8 Tbsp curry powder
  • 1 Tbsp allspice (see step 1)
  • 3 pounds goat (can use lamb or beef if you can't find goat)
  • Salt
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 1-2 habanero or Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and chopped
  • A 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
  • 1 head of garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 1-2 cans coconut milk
  • 1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp dried thyme
  • 3-4 cups water
  • 5 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks

Method
1 Make the curry powder. If you can find Jamaican curry powder, definitely use it. If not, use regular curry powder and add the allspice to it. You will need at least 6 tablespoons of spices for this stew, and you can kick it up to 8-9 depending on how spicy you like it.
2 Cut the meat into large chunks, maybe 2-3 inches across. If you have bones, you can use them, too. Salt everything well and set aside to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
3 Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Mix in 2 tablespoons of the curry powder and heat until fragrant.
4 Pat the meat dry and brown well in the curried oil. Do this in batches and don’t overcrowd the pot. It will take a while to do this, maybe 30 minutes or so. Set the browned meat aside in a bowl. (When all the meat is browned, if you have bones, add them and brown them, too.)
5 Add the onions and habanero to the pot and sauté, stirring from time to time, until the onions just start to brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle some salt over them as they cook. Add the ginger and garlic, mix well and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
6 Put the meat (and bones, if using) back into the pot, along with any juices left in the bowl. Mix well. Pour in the coconut milk and tomatoes and 5 tablespoons of the curry powder. Stir to combine. If you are using 2 cans of coconut milk, add 3 cups of water. If you’re only using 1 can, add 4 cups of water. Add the thyme. Bring to a simmer and let it cook until the meat is falling-apart tender, which will take at least 2 hours. Longer if you have a mature goat.
7 Once the meat is close to being done – tender but not falling apart yet – Add the potatoes and mix in. The stew is done when the potatoes are. Taste for salt and add some if it needs it.
8 You might need to skim off the layer of fat at the top of the curry before serving. Do this with a large, shallow spoon, skimming into a bowl. Also, be sure to remove any bones before you serve the curry.
The stew is better the day after, or even several days after, the day you make it.
Serve with Jamacan rice and peas, a coconut rice with kidney beans.
Yield: Serve 8-12

LOL You Nerd.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You sneaky title-changer, you!

Buh, I know nothing.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Electric Fence would be the best 4 strand or even better 6

Electric fence is like... acupuncture. Our goats just run right through it.

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Why yes, yes they can!

Jamaican Goat Curry Recipe

• Prep time: 30 minutes
  • Cook time: 3 hours

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6-8 Tbsp curry powder
  • 1 Tbsp allspice (see step 1)
  • 3 pounds goat (can use lamb or beef if you can't find goat)
  • Salt
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 1-2 habanero or Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and chopped
  • A 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
  • 1 head of garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 1-2 cans coconut milk
  • 1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp dried thyme
  • 3-4 cups water
  • 5 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks

Method
1 Make the curry powder. If you can find Jamaican curry powder, definitely use it. If not, use regular curry powder and add the allspice to it. You will need at least 6 tablespoons of spices for this stew, and you can kick it up to 8-9 depending on how spicy you like it.
2 Cut the meat into large chunks, maybe 2-3 inches across. If you have bones, you can use them, too. Salt everything well and set aside to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
3 Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Mix in 2 tablespoons of the curry powder and heat until fragrant.
4 Pat the meat dry and brown well in the curried oil. Do this in batches and don’t overcrowd the pot. It will take a while to do this, maybe 30 minutes or so. Set the browned meat aside in a bowl. (When all the meat is browned, if you have bones, add them and brown them, too.)
5 Add the onions and habanero to the pot and sauté, stirring from time to time, until the onions just start to brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle some salt over them as they cook. Add the ginger and garlic, mix well and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
6 Put the meat (and bones, if using) back into the pot, along with any juices left in the bowl. Mix well. Pour in the coconut milk and tomatoes and 5 tablespoons of the curry powder. Stir to combine. If you are using 2 cans of coconut milk, add 3 cups of water. If you’re only using 1 can, add 4 cups of water. Add the thyme. Bring to a simmer and let it cook until the meat is falling-apart tender, which will take at least 2 hours. Longer if you have a mature goat.
7 Once the meat is close to being done – tender but not falling apart yet – Add the potatoes and mix in. The stew is done when the potatoes are. Taste for salt and add some if it needs it.
8 You might need to skim off the layer of fat at the top of the curry before serving. Do this with a large, shallow spoon, skimming into a bowl. Also, be sure to remove any bones before you serve the curry.
The stew is better the day after, or even several days after, the day you make it.
Serve with Jamacan rice and peas, a coconut rice with kidney beans.
Yield: Serve 8-12

thank goodness I had swallowed my mouth of water!!  that was exactly what I was thinking when I skim read the title!  good grief what did those goats do now, if she is looking for recipes for them!!  Shocked

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sweetened wrote:Electric fence is like... acupuncture.  Our goats just run right through it.

ooooo funny story about that!!!  seriously.  okay two.  one has to do with an electric fence and the other the electric type of acupuncture.  Laughing

but I will leave you in suspense  bwuahahaha

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:Electric fence is like... acupuncture.  Our goats just run right through it.
You must not have the wires at the right height or to far apart or could not be a strong enough charger the kids they make for dogs will not work
I kept a herd of 150 in with electric fencing the bucks no but the does and the kids once the kids learned 
either way I hope you get it figured out as goats are a great animal to have believe it or not

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Thanks everyone.

We're working on fences, since clearly mine aren't good enough. However, unless and until they are, I'm just trying to think of a backup. If they can taste and don't like hot/spicy things, I will give that a go as a nibbling deterant. Might just try it for sanity's sake.

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yep need a good (knock you on your arse) electric fence to keep them out but turn it off and they know in seconds!  The horses and alpacas are allowed out in the yard to mow the lawn and visit with us but the goats are TROUBLE!  Good thing they're so darn personable LOL but yes must have strong, well hotwired fences or the trouble they will find and the places they will squeeze into is amazing!  We started with a smaller 5mile fence but not a very good one so nobody respected it, we went with a 30mile and holy cracker its a good one Twisted Evil   When I tried flowers around the house this year I just got those plastic posts you can move and stick in the ground anywhere.  I use the same wire as the permanent hot wire fence and everyone respects it plus its easy to take down and move when I want to

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum