Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What does this sound like?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What does this sound like? Empty What does this sound like? Tue May 03, 2011 7:22 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

On Sunday I had a two year old Isa Brown hen die. She didn't look well the night before - pale comb, fluffed up and hunched over. She went outside with the others in the morning and at about 2 in the afternoon I found her dead in the corner of the coop. She had looked a bit "depressed" a few times through the winter, but kept on doing her chicken things.

Just now I went out to check on everyone and found one of my nearly 7 week old chicks flopping around on the floor. It's like she's lost strength in her legs. I am really worried now because these chicks have been in the other half of the coop as the hens separated by a wire door for about two weeks now. Is there anything I can do to keep this from spreading?

2What does this sound like? Empty Re: What does this sound like? Tue May 03, 2011 7:25 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My experience of losing a two year old ISA is not that unusual. Usually they die of egg peritonitis or calcium deficiency. The fact you have a young chick, not well, in close proximity, is a concern but could also, if you're lucky, just be a coincidence. Hopefully, others will have more experienced input to your situation.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum