Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oh the sound of the roosters' call

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Oh the sound of the roosters' call Empty Oh the sound of the roosters' call Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:13 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Have you ever really took time to listen to the call of each rooster? I am sure many have, as have I.

Each fellow has a different voice, each voice is beautiful in its own light. We live about 200 feet from my chickens' coops, but each morning, oh so early, I can hear the roosters begin their day. In total blackness, hours before the sun even thinks to raise her beautiful head over the crest of the mountaintop.

I love to be outside for brief moments in the morning, especially when I hear the calls begin. They instigate each other to begin their morning calls, and the chorus begins.

There are two buckeye, two buff orpington and one cochin that have the ability to raise their voice. There are other young cockerels, but they will not express their voice, if they ever do, they are the lowest man on that totem pole and may never crow. I know that my blue cochin rooster that I kept with his pappa, never crowed until the older fellow had moved on...it took about a month to figure out that he was the top dog and expressed his opinion on life -- his voice, a beautiful voice.

Each rooster has a different voice. The buckeyes, of which two of them both do crow, have a very shrill and short call. The buff orpingtons are not as shrill, not as loud as the buckeyes, but have a distinct sound. I do not know which is which when they call, the both call, there is no hierarchy with these two breeds. It just seemed so with the cochins, perhaps I am thinking because of the age difference. The buckeye and buff orpington cockerels are the same ages...

The cochin. Oh yes, the cochin. By far the most pleasing voice to me. His daddy had the same voice. This is a deep call, nothing shrill about it, very pleasing to the ear. Long, drawn out and deep, not quite as loud as the others, but the magnitude of beauty of this deep and wonderful voice, makes up for the volume of the others.

By far, my hat off to the sound of the cochin rooster call, so deep, so meaningful, so commanding, which comes deep and long, from the very depth of his soul. The call of the cochin rooster, as majestic as this bird is physically. This is something that I would love to hear, anytime, something that draws me to watch and listen when I am nearby.

Speak of your calls of your favourite rooster....I would love to hear how others perceive the difference in the birds.

Oh, did I ever mention how annoying I have found the rooster calls of the bantam breeds, smiling that huge smile. Sorry, did not mean to offend bantam breed owners, I know you love your roosters too, after having 4 white wyandotte bantam roosters here when we did, I surely knew that I did not want to keep birds with tiny vocal chords Shocked . Guess that got me stuck on large fowl birds Smile . Speak of the calls of your roosters, and have that beautiful day, CynthiaM.

2Oh the sound of the roosters' call Empty Re: Oh the sound of the roosters' call Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:31 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My wife loves it when the young ones start/learn to crow, especially the bantams. After that, she just calls them assholes when they crow.

There was a TV show in Holland "Wedden dat" (Wanna make a bet) and there was a breeder who claimed he knew the crow of each one of his roosters (25 of them) They blindfolded the man and let the roosters crow one at a time, he named all of their legband numbers correctly after each crow.

Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

3Oh the sound of the roosters' call Empty Re: Oh the sound of the roosters' call Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:33 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Whoa, now that is a whole lotta time spending outside listening and identifying who is who in the voice of the dudes, wow!! Ya, those just learning to crow sure can make ya give a little hoot and a hollar, funny as the day is shortening for sure!! Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

4Oh the sound of the roosters' call Empty Re: Oh the sound of the roosters' call Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:49 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I love listening to the roosters learning to crow.

Last year I had a big brahma who sounded like a fog horn. It cracked us up every time.

The cochin roosters do have a nice crow. I was surprised it didn't have more volume then it did. It's pleasant to listen to.

My Polish Rooster, The Fonze (yes, I still have him. I couldn't stand to eat him), has a very distinctive crow. Not a good one, but distinctive. It goes like this Errrrrr (rising in pitch)-Rrrrrrrrrr (dropping in in pitch). Only 2 tones. Our summer time neighbor was over visiting one day when he crowed. She was like "THAT'S who's making that crow!" The Fonze's son had a more normal crow.

Rotten Ronnie (yes, he is still with us. Hubby actually likes the little bugger), has a pretty bad crow too.

The Americauna has a fairly deep crow. And most of the other roosters don't really crow that much that I hear. Probably because they are all in a pen together, and there are a few top dogs, and the rest are young still.

The other day one of my BLRW's crowed for the first time. He's in the basement now with his sore feet. I was just saying how I was glad he didn't crow, because my husband hates the crowing roosters. But when I brought so me hens in to get ready to take to school, he heard them and let out an awful, awful strangled sound. The kids ran down stairs and asked what happened.

Our chicken house is well insulated, so it muffles the sound of the roosters crowing in the morning. Makes the husband happy, but I love to listen to the sound of roosters crowing. It's part of what living in the country is about.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

5Oh the sound of the roosters' call Empty Re: Oh the sound of the roosters' call Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:30 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I sit here reading this listening to my boys crowing away! Very Happy
I usually know each one by his crow, but I don`t know these guys yet. They are very different that is for sure. I can hear the difference between the 3 big boys down there and the smaller fellows have not started yet.
I do love the crowing, even hubby likes it in the mornings.

6Oh the sound of the roosters' call Empty Re: Oh the sound of the roosters' call Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:08 am

samwise

samwise

CynthiaM, speaking of bantams I have a OEG now with an awful, shrill crow, but I used to have a Mille Fleur with a really nice crow. It was high pitched of course, but really clear and beatiful.

My Buff Orpington has a nice full crow, the Partridge Chanteclers are starting to sound good, but I was really surprised with the White Chants from Chantecler_eh?. They have low, almost hoarse voices when they crow, but in the higher register of their voices, when they are talking to the hens or calling a warning, they remind me a bit of turkeys with their chirping, warbling sound.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum