Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Of Job Security!"-Poultry Judging and Selling

+4
toybarons
foal0069
Schipperkesue
viczoe
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have been thinking about a comment made on another post about Licensed Poultry judges and what was touted as Job Security on our part. Although the comment was made with a I am making a joke emotion after it, I think for some reason the person was serious.and I was somewhat offended maybe not rightly so for both myself and other poultry judges who give a lot of time to the hobby, I don't know?

What was siad to be brief is that we as judges sell poultry to other people at Discounted prices so we will have further birds to judge. I feel I must comment on this and feel very sad that someone actually believes this and would want others to have the same feelings.

I personally can't think that when selling a bird to someone that my first thought that comes to my head is I am going to sell you this bird so I can conttinue to judge in the future. In fact this thought has never crossed my mind and am am 100% percent sure that it has never crossed Rico's. And most certainly it is not to get people to make good comments about me personally to get me hired as a judge at any poultry/waterfowl show.

It takes a lot of time and effort to become licensed as well as years of learning and breeding. Also I think Rico will voice that it is not because we are making tons of money. It is not because we like to spent hours in airports away from our family, giving up our entire weekend to stand on our feet all day. It is because we as judges on a whole love the Hobby- "that is what it is" a Hobby and it should be fun and if you worry about every nickel and dime perhaps this is not the Hobby for you but a bonifided business. I think most of you know I personally and many other judges ask a fair above average dollars for our birds but you know what we have put the work in and most of the time we are culling many many birds that others may have sold, but so what it's their bird and they can ask what they want.

Should any of us choose to let a bird go at a lesser price to someone we feel is an asset to the hobby so what! It certainly is not for any alterior motives, like Job Security. If that person had any idea how many hours we as judges spend mentoring people and helping the secure birds it would be shocking. We do it because we love the hobby not to stroke our own ego's.

It saddens me that someone would not be proud that while there are few people in Canada that have their poultry judging licenses at least we did it and I for one am proud to say that at the National in Ohio there a no less than 4 Canadian judges all out of our very small pool. 3 from the east and myself and with my airfare of $750.00 plus expenses I don't think I was hired because I gave a discount to someone.
So everyone I hope you have good thoughts of fairness and that you enjoy your show expience when either Rico or my self are judging and that you will continue to come to both of us for help or advice should you need it and think there is some type of alterior motive as we are both in it for the enjoyment and betterment of the hobby and the people truly involved.

"done my rant" and back to chores.
"Hidden feel free to lock this if need be, I will not be offended as I will not be here to monitor it but I know everyone will be polite as always"- HH
Heather

Last edited by viczoe on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Title)

http://www.triple-h.ca

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I have never experienced Judges selling at discounts for the purpose of having more birds to judge.

However, I do know that Judges will give a good price under certain circumstances. Just one example of many I can think of, I have heard of judges giving good prices to serious 4H members who are looking for birds. Often these judges take these juniors under their wing (so to speak!) and mentor them in the fine arts of breeding and poultry genetics.

To this I say Bravo!

foal0069

Look at where it's coming from and go from there. In the mean time can I be a 4-Hr at 54 so someone can mentor me (I am joking), I was a 4-Hr back when it was home economics and dairy, horse, dairy, horse, you get the drift.

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Always consider the source of the comments and take it from there. Snide comments from people are better left going in one ear and out the other.

And if you ever come across a wonderful Houdan, even though you yourself don't show them...I too will gladly accept any offering sent my way. Thank you What a Face

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dont let it bother you we all know it is not that way

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Your castoffs would probably be better than my best birds anyway. lol!

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LMAO so true fowler!

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

Mel

I am so Thankful that you have taken the time to reply to both posts Heather! I had hoped we would have heard your opinion not that, I think, anyone doubted our judges and why they do what they do!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum