Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most ancient bio security threat.

+5
Fowler
Jonny Anvil
calliope
authenticfarm
uno
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Most ancient bio security threat. Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:04 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

In all seriousness, never in all my years on various poultry sites have I read of anyone who has bothered to address this most pernicious threat to farmyard security.

We talk about ridding ourselves of parasites, both internal and external. We have before us a plethora of chemical weapons that our forefathers never dreamed of as they dipped their birds' feet in kerosene. We discuss now the pour-on versus powders. How to dose with mass antibiotics. We discuss how well to sanitize, or not, our barns and equipment. Miss CynthiaM is so hateful of Mareks' disease that she turns her back on the capital letter. marek's she calls it. Small M. Take that. That is true contempt if I ever saw it.

And yet not anyone, not in all these years, has mentioned a very real and terrible threat. Some of us probably have it now and don't know it. DOn't know it because no one will talk about it. It's all hush hush. Someone might look at you funny. Okay then. Look away. Because I am going to spill the beans. Bloody well time someone did.

Goblins. Goblins in the hen house. What have you done to prevent them? And I quote:

"Goblins are the marauding vagabonds of the Fairy Kingdom, roving alone or in mobs from town to town. They relish upsetting the sensibilities of man and fairy alike with their crass ways. Goblins love to eat eggs and delight in using them in pranks,and they are known to lodge in chicken coops in two ways: as willing tenants or as changelings." p.26

Now, if this doesn't set you back on your haunches, then you're just not paying attention. Not only can these roving bands of fey folk carry disease from town to town, but they can become a changeling in your hen house. If this doesn't keep you up at night, nothing will! Read on:

"Nothing spoils a carefully prepared breakfast like the cracking of a changeling egg. Whilst so many of these dangerous ovoids look and feel perfectly normal, they possess repulsive qualities seldom noticed until mealtime. Some are filled with maggots, others with blood. There are reports of changeling eggs as hard as concrete and others which explode when broken. A few have beautiful shells which hatch tuberculosis and smallpox.

The Ungerslud family of Shropshire was the unlucky recipient of a goblin curse via changeling eggs, for the morning after the eggs were eaten, the whole lot of them awoke with their legs on backwards, as they remain today." p.28

I see a picture. In past I have posted about a tragically high rate of blood spots in my eggs. Then I seem to have the worst luck fall upon my hen house, as if it has been singled out in the whole neighbourhood to be living in the worst zone of predator interference. Coincidence? HArdly! I am cursed! I am cursed! I HAVE GOBLINS! affraid

Right now I am brewing a decoction, don't know if it will work. I might have to change the fey lines that run through the place, figure out how Stone Henge is situated in relation to my little, unlucky plot. There are ways, but no guarantees. I bet you never knew. Well now you can never claim ignorance, for you have been warned!

- Goblin Proofing One's Chicken Coop, and other practical advice in our campaign against the fairy kingdom. By Reginald Blakely.

This is Stephen King for chicken keepers!

2Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Gasp!!!! Do you think these goblins are conspiring with the ones who steal the socks out of the washing machine?

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 pm

calliope

calliope

Well, here's a little something that might help, Uno:

Magic Goblin Spell Trap:

A trap to seek out goblins. Really works! WARNING: May attract trolls as well.

You will need the following items for this spell:

smelly sock
apple
wand
yourself

Casting Instructions for Magic Goblin Trap Spell

Put an apple inside a horribly smelling sock. Tap the apple with your wand to make any goblin that sees it cry out in horror. Throw the apple sock into a suspected goblin territory and watch. A goblin should be attracted by the smell of the sock and come over. When the goblin sees the apple he will cry out and you can capture him.

Disclaimer: Calliope cannot vouch for the effectiveness of said Magic Goblin Trap Spell

lol!

4Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Thankfully my Gnomes keep the Goblins and trolls away!

5Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:15 pm

calliope

calliope

Lucky you, J.A.! Very Happy

6Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

What can I say, I have been called the King of Gnomes before... lol

7Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:33 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a Goblin hanging around my place right now! I keep having to chuck rocks at him to drive him away.

The police say, "He's not a Goblin and your Neighbour will press charges if you throw more rocks.", but I know better!

Going to set a Goblin trap out by the mail box.

8Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:34 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, oh man, girl, you never cease to bring that smile to my face (and my fortunate Husband too, cause there are times when I get him to read things that you post, the ones that strike my fancy). This was one.

Yep. You got it, I cannot stand marek's disease. But now I am truly wondering about goblins. You are scaring me, and I wonder if there is some truth to this. I really do. And I am now pondering many things. Like Caliope's method of ridding the stinkin' goblins from the possibility they are in my coop too. I can find many ol' stinky socks, apples, things like that which may help me in my travels. Darn. Goblins. Never liked even that word, as it has always conjured up some very awful things that go bump in the night. Thanks for the good morning wake me up, it surely has. And have a beautiful day too, CynthiaM.

9Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 am

I also have egg eating goblins... they look a lot like a bantam chicken of mine... hrmm....

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Uno!!

10Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:07 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

11Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's it, Fowler! I keep wondering why I'm not writing this stuff. Perhaps my book will be called "Canadian Critters Cavort in the Coop, how to keep predators from chewing your face off when you do chores"

Page 1, With shotgun loaded and ready, I take up my bucket of scratch and head out to the hen pen....

12Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:14 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chapter 2: Patching that Waterer that's been riddled with shotgun pellets.

13Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Fowler wrote:I have a Goblin hanging around my place right now! I keep having to chuck rocks at him to drive him away.

The police say, "He's not a Goblin and your Neighbour will press charges if you throw more rocks.", but I know better!

Going to set a Goblin trap out by the mail box.

HAHAHA..... nice!

14Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I refuse to participate in this silly thread. We need to get back to discussing things of importance. After all, the chicken world is a very, very serious place and we should keep our discussions serious.

Seriously!

Hrumph!

15Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Schipperkesue wrote:I refuse to participate in this silly thread. We need to get back to discussing things of importance. After all, the chicken world is a very, very serious place and we should keep our discussions serious.

Seriously!

Hrumph!

Serious? Goblins are a seriously serious matter of the most serious nature. It doesn't get more serious than those sinister goblins. Seriously.

16Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:58 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well said, Sweetened. I wonder what's been 'goblin' at grumpy Sue. Just wait until she does chores one day and finds a troll in a nest box. She'll change her tune!

17Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Phooey. No one wants to discuss this tomfoolery. Really, with all the serious issues happening in coops? Just yesterday I read of an Orc outbreak New Brunswick and even here at home the Ents are reclaiming my north hayfield. It is just a matter of time before Balrogs migrate to this continent!

18Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:36 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Stuff is about to get SERIOUS, y'all.

19Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:38 pm

authenticfarm wrote:Stuff is about to get SERIOUS, y'all.

orly?

20Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

What's orly?

I may just need more coffee. Three extra large cups are not cutting it today.

21Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 pm

authenticfarm wrote:What's orly?

I may just need more coffee. Three extra large cups are not cutting it today.

I forget I'm an old gamer. Orly is like "Oh Really" said quickly.

22Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:45 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just staying sort of on topic and a bit more serious for Sue!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now how can you make deviled goblin eggs if you don't have goblins in your coop?

23Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmmm, upon further research, deviled goblin eggs may be a bit more difficult than the recipe suggests.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

24Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry Coopie, but I am so distraught over the impending Balrog invasion that I simple can't take those goblins seriously! I hope Uno is sitting back and enjoying her bath and wet book while I fret over this situation she has placed in my head.

25Most ancient bio security threat. Empty Re: Most ancient bio security threat. Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Sue, in all things of a serious nature....

I strongly suggest that you don't fear an all out Balrog invasion, I say this with confidence as a roamer of these lands, a wizard if you will.
Under my watch, none shall pass!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum