Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

selling chicks for easter

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1selling chicks for easter Empty selling chicks for easter Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:06 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have been busy with chick and duck orders, but noticed a real upswing this weekend with people looking for chicks for the kids. It finally dawned on me that they were looking for easter chicks. Fortunately I was pretty sold out so didn't have to deal with the ethical situation. But it got me curious, how do you guys feel about selling chicks and ducklings ot people for easter when they clearly or not looking at the long term and the work involved and are not prepared to properly house the chicks?

2selling chicks for easter Empty Re: selling chicks for easter Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:23 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do you view your chicks as a commodity or as living beings? If they are a commodity you will have no problem selling them to a person who probably will not house, warm or feed them properly, knowing they will either die or be dumped. But beware. When these scraggly, malnourished , cold stunted pullets and cockerels hit Kijiji. Potential buyers will ask where they came from, and if the sellers remember and say, your reputation will take a beating.

3selling chicks for easter Empty Re: selling chicks for easter Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:32 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I can't sell to someone that I think will mistreat their birds. On teh otehr hand the learning curve (addiction) has to start somewhere. I struggle with the pet industry in general, I see too many people with the wrong breed of dog for their lifestyle etc. But I love ethical discussions, great opportunity to get perpsectives that may change or support mine.

4selling chicks for easter Empty Re: selling chicks for easter Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:40 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, an elegant summary of the situation. Can't really add to that post.

And yes, BCKev, I agree, everyone has to start somewhere. I try not to judge too harshly. It is after all the season to buy chicks anyway. After many years of pleading my sister finally agreed to get a kitten for my niece, but none were available because it was close to Christmas and most breeders refused to sell kittens near Christmas. Sigh.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5selling chicks for easter Empty Re: selling chicks for easter Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:48 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

When I started with chickens I read everything I could find and made sure I was starting right. Everyone has to start somewhere, it is true, but that in no excuse to abuse/neglect your newly acquired animals through ignorance.

It is the same with every animal I have owned. Preparation, preparation, perpetration. Not just research but enough food for the winter, and adequate housing and water BEFORE you buy.

6selling chicks for easter Empty Re: selling chicks for easter Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:27 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would bet though that almost all of us changed our systems after having poultry for a while. Research is good but nothing replaces real experience with dogs, children, weather etc.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

7selling chicks for easter Empty Re: selling chicks for easter Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:27 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Usually I don't start hatching until the weather is warmer. But also one of the reasons as to why I aim to have hatches occur after Easter is for that reason. The efforts of my breeding program are not in place to become a gift that will become nothing more than a Fad, neglected and then need to be re homed.

I prefer to sell chicks at the Spring Sales, not auctions that occur here in Alberta, at least by then Easter has passed and I can personally feel better knowing that the birds are at least going to homes/farms where they will be appreciated for the wonderful, beneficial creatures that they are.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum