Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

crooked toes

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1crooked toes Empty crooked toes Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I always thought crooked toes
was due to inbreeding but the
book I have on better hatching
says it is due to temperature
spike during incubation.

What does everyone think of this?

I had about 5 out of 80 chicks
with crooked toes and I did have
a few temp. spikes.

2crooked toes Empty Re: crooked toes Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am not certain, I believe to a certain extent it is genetic. If you hatched out a batch of chicks from assorted breeding groups and all had crooked toes then yes probably an incubator issue. But if you only get 5 our ot 80 hatched most likely a genetic issues passed on in those birds.

I purchased some Australorps this year and although they are beautiful birds I have more than half with crooked toes, is it an inbreeding issue? Most likely. This fellow has had these birds for many many years, and most likely has some inbreeding going on. So I am selecting the bird without the crooked toes to continue on in my breeding pens for next year. Although some may argue you do not eat the toes, these chickens have to have good feet in order to free range and roost properly, so I am all for straight toes!

I have also read before that too much protein early in life can cause toes to go crooked, as well as a cold brooding floor. So one cannot rule that out either, especially if you havent raised the birds from day one. But if you raise all your chicks the same way on the same floors and same food, then the crooked toe ones were definately predisposed to it in my opinion and should be taken out of your breeding pens.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum