Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hen or Rooster?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hen or Rooster? Empty Hen or Rooster? Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:38 am

chickadee

chickadee

I feel silly but because I have a few different breeds of birds I'm having a hard time figuring out who needs to move on into the freezer and who's a little lady! lol The LAST thing I want to do is eat a hen when I've been waiting so long for eggs!

Of course, the ones that crow are the roosters. I've got that figured out, haha. And the ones that have little claws growing are roosters too. I was hoping I'd be able to tell by the combs but nope. I'm way to new at this!

Is it easier to sex a chicken just by checking the parts? Some are very obvious due to having no comb. I didn't think it would be this tricky! Surprised

They are all about 5-6 months old now.

2Hen or Rooster? Empty Re: Hen or Rooster? Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:45 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

What breeds are they? that will help with telling them apart.
Also if you can post pictures of the "iffy" ones many more experienced people might be able to help.
Generally pointed neck and saddle feathers are a tell tail sign at this age.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Hen or Rooster? Empty Re: Hen or Rooster? Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:36 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

By 5 months, which is 20 weeks, you should have no problem telling the cockerels from the pullets in most breeds that people have.
Cockerels have long pointy saddle and hackle feathers and pullets don't. The pullets are starting to get redder combs and wattle because they are getting closer to laying, but the cockerels will have way bigger combs on a whole. They will be bigger and have thicker legs than pullets of the same breed as well.

The feathers at this age is the best indicator. I agree with Hidden, put up pictures, we will all tell you what is what.

4Hen or Rooster? Empty Re: Hen or Rooster? Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:22 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Really, I think it is just because we all like looking at photos!

But really, some of the experts here (not me!) will be able to help.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5Hen or Rooster? Empty Re: Hen or Rooster? Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 pm

chickadee

chickadee

I would love to post some pictures but my camera is at our other place and my phone is way too slow. Silly.

I would say the ones I'm having the hardest time with are the hatchery ameracaunas. Their combs appear the same to me.

We have Buff brahmas, orpingtons (blue, black, splash and buff), Barred rocks (mostly crosses) and a couple other breeds.

I've looked online but it's not really helping me out. I'll check some legs, combs and wattles tomorrow and see if I notice a difference Smile

I'll be posting pictures for sure before we butcher!

6Hen or Rooster? Empty Re: Hen or Rooster? Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:10 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not sure what colour your Ams are. Here are a black cockerel and a black pullet. Hopefully this helps you.

Cockerel:

Hen or Rooster? SAM_0121
Hen or Rooster? SAM_0122

Pointed feathers on neck and saddle. Brighter and bigger red comb. The pointy saddle feathers are the best giveaway.

Pullet:

Hen or Rooster? SAM_0123
Hen or Rooster? SAM_0131

Round feathers in front of the tail, less upright in carriage and all over a bit 'rounder' looking.

7Hen or Rooster? Empty Re: Hen or Rooster? Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:23 pm

chickadee

chickadee

Excellent pictures! Thank you Smile I can sure see the difference.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum