Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cheap Cat Food

+6
ChicoryFarm
Critter Haven Farm
Fowler
mirycreek
Rasilon
Schipperkesue
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cheap Cat Food Empty Cheap Cat Food Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I went out to purchase some cat food to add a little protein and variety to the diet of the chickens. I was ingredient shopping as usual, and found that the cheapest food has lots of corn, a great ingredient for my yellow legged birds, and others as well! Cheaper is sometimes better!

2Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:29 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:I went out to purchase some cat food to add a
little protein and variety to the diet of the chickens. I was
ingredient shopping as usual, and found that the cheapest food has lots
of corn, a great ingredient for my yellow legged birds, and others as
well! Cheaper is sometimes better!

Hi How do you feed the cat food whjole or do you crunch it up
Geri

3Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:48 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is interesting to know Sue!

We fed our birds we were going to take to the show some cat food while they were being coop trained, their favorite was those Temptations (our cat didnt like that flavor!) well all except the Dominique rooster, he hated captivity and I think he lost weight during the training time, the Buckeye rooster gained, he just loved those treats!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

4Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Plus, you can eat it yourself when you get to be a senior.

5Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:55 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I haven't tried it myself yet, Fowler, nor given It to the chickens, Geri, but the chickens eat whole corn with no problem, so I don't think they will have trouble with the cat food.

If you are worried about size, then feed kitten food!

6Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Critter Haven Farm

Critter Haven Farm

Some of my chickens watch when I feed the cats (a separate building) and sneak in to clean it all up! Not all of them.... just the "clever" ones! LOL! I've had to cage them for a while to keep them out but they have great memories.

7Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:12 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:I went out to purchase some cat food to add a little protein and variety to the diet of the chickens. I was ingredient shopping as usual, and found that the cheapest food has lots of corn, a great ingredient for my yellow legged birds, and others as well! Cheaper is sometimes better!

Hey Sue, tell me more about feeding corn and yellow skinned chickens. Does it cause a chicken's skin to yellow or does it just enhance the colouring of an already yellow skinned chicken?

Am I correct that every breed has a specific skin colour - yellow, white, black, etc, before enhancing from feed?

8Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

my birds LOVE dog food kibble. I feed a food that has a rather large kibble and my guys gobble it down, even the bantams. I give it to them to train them, as treats, and in the winter to add fat and protein to the diet on cold days.

9Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:11 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't always buy the cheep ( Very Happy ) stuff as I want the highest protein. I just lable shop and look for high protien with not to high fat. I actually found one that is called high protein, usually I buy kitten food as it is often the highest. I just feed mine the dry stuff whole. It is often the moulting hens that gobble it up the most!

10Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:I went out to purchase some cat food to add a little protein and variety to the diet of the chickens. I was ingredient shopping as usual, and found that the cheapest food has lots of corn, a great ingredient for my yellow legged birds, and others as well! Cheaper is sometimes better!

Hey Sue, tell me more about feeding corn and yellow skinned chickens. Does it cause a chicken's skin to yellow or does it just enhance the colouring of an already yellow skinned chicken?

Am I correct that every breed has a specific skin colour - yellow, white, black, etc, before enhancing from feed?

CF, I don't know about skin, but corn will enhance the pigment in yellow legs. For more info read here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I suppose carotenoids would yellow the skin as well.

11Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:03 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

We have always fed our peafowl cat food. I personally think that's what make their colours 'pop' and so vibrant.

http://LynBarRanch.com

12Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:18 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Do you feed a non-chicken meal variety?

13Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mine has chicken meal. They dont have a problem eating each other in other circumstances.

14Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

True. I wonder if there can be disease passed through the food though. You know, like CJD in cows?

15Cheap Cat Food Empty Re: Cheap Cat Food Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Susan wrote:True. I wonder if there can be disease passed through the food though. You know, like CJD in cows?

Certainly a thought. I am not overly worried.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum