Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Corn Crop (Pictures)

+2
Schipperkesue
rosewood
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Corn Crop (Pictures) Empty Corn Crop (Pictures) Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:00 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We harvested this year's corn crop yestyerday. Usually we just have enough to enjoy home grown corn once or twice in a year, but this year we had so much several large bags ended up in the freezer. We grew an early variety of peaches 'n' cream and some golden corn. Both were great and 2 or 3 weeks early. The pictures shows what the corn looked like where the chicken run was last winter.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Many plants had two ears of corn, but not like the following picture.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The pigs and cows enjoyed the corn as well.

2Corn Crop (Pictures) Empty Re: Corn Crop (Pictures) Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ewww! Put that picture beside Cynthia's big ugly squash!

On the positive side...lucky you Rosewood, I can only dream of a beautiful field of corn like that!

3Corn Crop (Pictures) Empty Re: Corn Crop (Pictures) Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 pm

calliope

calliope

Boy, what a nice looking cornfield! So even with the colder, wetter spring and early summer, the corn crop came in early. Nice work!

4Corn Crop (Pictures) Empty Re: Corn Crop (Pictures) Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:08 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice! I try corn every year. Last year it made a great effort but didn't form full cobs with a frost each month slowing it down. This year was so wet in the spring the seeds just rotted in the ground. I will keep trying and who know, maybe one year I might get a crop like yours.....not. Rolling Eyes

5Corn Crop (Pictures) Empty Re: Corn Crop (Pictures) Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 am

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Great looking corn in the field picture and what a strange cob mind they say 2 heads are better than one so hopefully it the same as 2 ears of corn.

We have tried to grow corn before and are in such a low spot that the fog rolls in and it freezes at any point of the Summer. So this year we built a 16x30 foot green house and we have some corn growing in the green house Very Happy mind when you walk up to the green house all you see is the high corn throw the plastic and I so can't wait to eat some.

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

6Corn Crop (Pictures) Empty Re: Corn Crop (Pictures) Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:52 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chickencrazygirl, your corn comes pre-wrapped!

7Corn Crop (Pictures) Empty Re: Corn Crop (Pictures) Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:09 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh beautiful, long live the corn!! We had corn the other night for dinner, first of alot to come. I will get some pictures of my corn patch too, it is not as big as your, but will provide a little for the freezer. I like the look of the two headed corn cob, cool, love mutations that come from the garden, always makes me smile. Got some cool pictures of weird carrots too, maybe I'll bring those to a thread as well. So nice Rosewood, that you had bounty enough to got to freezerville to grace the winter table for your very large family. Nothin' like homegrown. I think its going to be a long winter, so I am readying too....

I had corn left over from a few years ago, it was a very nice supersweet (sh2) variety, a hybrid, but I like corn so much that I like to use hybrids, tried and beautifully true, big cobs with great ear tip cover. It was one year too old, last year it germinated, this year it did not. A bicolour. So planted again. Too late to order seed, so I purchased a supersweet (sh2) called Canadian Early Supersweet Hybrid F1 from the Buckerfields. Freakin' weird corn. Very good, as company will attest to, but never got a chance to show the freakin' weird corn. I found the cobs rather on the thin side, long cobs, but not the big round fat cobs that come from the variety I usually plant, but the kernels were nice, and very crisp and tastey (I place corn in boiling water for only 3 minutes and then remove, keeps the corn fresher tasting). I'll get a picture next time I am shucking freakin' weird corn, probably today. Also, these stalks many of them have 3 mature cobs on the stalk. Get that 3!! Never actually heard of 3, especially coming to maturation. Sometimes two per stalk, but find only one matures the other stays baby. Odd. Out of 10 cobs the other day 4 displayed this oddity of a small cob gowing on the same ear as a large cob. The small cob encased in a perfect set of leaves and then the two cobs both encased in the leaves (gads, can't think of the name of the leaves that cover the cobs, my mind must be slippy this morning). So when I picked the corn cobs, feeling to see if the tip felt full, (along with the browned silks, that is how I feel for perfect doneness) the cob felt not round, but kind of elongated, but still kin of roundy. So weird. Ya, I'll get a picture, pictures tell a thousand words, so they say.

Our corn is very late this year, but that is because we were so set back with the cold and wet June and the seeds that never germinated. At least 3 weeks behind when I would usually plant, if not a bit longer, sigh. Oh well, long live the corn. I wish that others had the climate to grow this super food crop too Sad have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

8Corn Crop (Pictures) Empty Re: Corn Crop (Pictures) Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:12 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya meant to mention. Has anyone ever noticed the scent of the pollen that is on the tassels of the corn plants? If you have noticed it, you will know EXACTLY of what I speak. I have, for many years, it is reminiscent of honey. When you walk anywhere even close to the corn plants, this beautiful fragrance is everywhere in the air. A sweet, honey like scent that can only be made by the corn, it is amazing and even though many cobs are mature, this scent still lingers in the air. Maybe the dry weather too has had something to do with this intense scent. I love the scent of the corn tassels. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum