Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Early winter this year?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Early winter this year? Empty Early winter this year? Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:06 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I know some have noticed the cooler nights. But there are other signs and I am just curious if anyone else has noticed anything. Here we are about a month early compared to most years.

We have a volunteer oat field the cattle graze in the fall, it is turning brown already, and is dang near ready for harvest if I choose.

The trees in my back pasture have started to lighten already. That light green that preludes the color changes.

The animals behavior. My Jerseys have already started to get that courser longer curly hair they get before winter. I was surprised when milking yesterday to be brushing one and realize, it is a winter coat coming in (as it is also darker on her) and not just loose hair. The highlands have started their shed too for their longer coats. All the animals are eatting like crazy to get those layers of fat thrown on. Other then one turkey, no one is broody which is unusual for my girls this time of year, they usually try to hatch out one more group.

The plants have started to seed instead of produce in the garden now. My poor peas are goners now, they usually keep going for several more weeks.

My crop fields are all very short this year and seemed to not put much into growing but rather producing early. For this one I am not complaining, I didnt relish the thought of being 8 months pregnant on the combine. It looks like I will only be 7 months at this rate!

Oh yes, and the geese showed up yesterday. Geese??? I thought I was seeing things.

So, has anyone else noticed anything earlier then normal too?

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

2Early winter this year? Empty Re: Early winter this year? Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:59 am

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

We've almost abruptly dropped in temperature, it had been sweltering at about 32 degrees every day, then all of a sudden down to about 25 all week. We're supposed to be getting some moisture, so that might be an explanation here. My animals appear to still be in summer mode, but boy, crops are early this year! I've never seen the combines going at August 1st before! Most guys here (depending on how big they are) are almost done their grain crops, canola's been knocked down and is drying. The Old timers and hutterites were right so far, they were saying dry summer, early winter, so I wouldnt be suprised. I might have missed it earlier, but I didnt know you were brooding/expecting, congrats! Very Happy

3Early winter this year? Empty Re: Early winter this year? Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

How funny to see this. I just posted on another thread that I thought our Birch were starting to turn about a month early.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum