Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Early pip, please help!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Early pip, please help! Empty Early pip, please help! Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I woke up to a pip in one of my guinea eggs this morning (it’s only day 24) after going into early lockdown last night because I planned to be in MJ for most of today. Well I just got home an hour ago and the little guy has made NO further progress…since the membrane looked quite dry (bright white) I thought he might be shrink wrapped. So I upped humidity to 75%, (it was at 65%) and since there are no other pips, I took the egg out to see if I could remove a bit of the shell to help the little guy zip. He was peeping and struggling the whole time. This is when I noticed one leg seems to be wrapped over his head and it’s no wonder he’s having problems. I carefully moistened the exposed membrane with Q-tips dipped in warm water. Then I wrapped the egg in a damp baby washcloth and put it back in the bator. What should I do now, if anything? Does early pipping mean he was ready to hatch, or did he just try to soon? Ugh, I hate not knowing what to do!!! pale

2Early pip, please help! Empty Re: Early pip, please help! Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:06 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ugh, I hate not knowing what you should do, guess you did the right thing, the biggest thing is opening the bator and all the moisture sucks out. Make sure you mist a bit. I don't think you should up the humidity too much, you don't want to drown the chicks that haven't hatched. If he isn't out by the time you go to bed, I would help him get out.

3Early pip, please help! Empty Re: Early pip, please help! Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

The biggest rule of thumb in helping an early chick is if there is blood stop. If the membrane is dry and no blood when you start peeling then you are ok, moisten and peel and you should be fine

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Early pip, please help! Empty Re: Early pip, please help! Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:16 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your advice.

I decided to help a little more since I already messed up by interfering. There was no blood, so I kept going and the keet literally popped out of the shell. No yolk sack left either, so he must have been near ready…quite a big chick for such a small egg too. It’s no wonder he couldn’t finish getting into position. The bad news is he seems kind of weak. Wasn’t able to hold his head up at first, then just laid there curled in a ball. After a brief nap, he rolled around for a bit, peeping all the while. His fluff is almost dry now and he’s up on his feet, neck stretched out, sleeping then peeping and tumbling across the bator wire, rinse and repeat. I don’t want to get my hopes up when I’m not sure he’s strong enough to make it. And he’s a lovely lavender too. Neutral

I’ll update tomorrow, hopefully good news.

5Early pip, please help! Empty Re: Early pip, please help! Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

We named the little keet “Rocky” because even with a rocky start, he’s a fighter. Smile

Rocky is doing better today, but not where I’d like him to be. All morning he was falling over on the one side and generally having trouble walking. So I put a band-aid splint on his legs (as if treating spraddle leg) to help him gain strength and it seems to be helping. I’ve been giving him slips of vitamin enriched water on the hour and he just had his first green poop, which I’m taking for a good sign. Right now he’s snuggling against a rolled up washcloth and hopefully will be even stronger tomorrow.

I don't think he would have made it had I not intervened...not sure if it was the right move or not, I guess time will tell. Thanks again.

6Early pip, please help! Empty Re: Early pip, please help! Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Good luck little Rocky!! cheers I hope he makes it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum