Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

dizzy duck problem

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1dizzy duck problem Empty dizzy duck problem Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:49 am

niglefritz

My husband describes what he is seeing as a dizzy duck. We have one Indian Runner who seems to be having a hard time retaining her balance. It is maybe 5 weeks or so old. The other two are fine. The legs were checked and there is no lameness, just a bit of topsy turvy happening. It will sometimes fall over sideways, and sometimes backwards, but also can catch its balance at times and stay standing. It can still get around and eat and drink. Does anyone know what is happening to this one? Is there anything that we might be able to do to help it out? It seems quite healthy otherwise.

2dizzy duck problem Empty Re: dizzy duck problem Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:51 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Try treating for ear mites.

3dizzy duck problem Empty Re: dizzy duck problem Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:53 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Head injuries can cause this, we have a crested buff duck and she will get that way if the drakes pay her too much attention.
Also if they are deficient in vitamin A they can get tipsy I found.
But like Arctic says also check for an ear issue.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4dizzy duck problem Empty Re: dizzy duck problem Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:08 am

niglefritz

How would I treat for ear mites? Is there a natural way? I prefer that. I did a search, but found nothing on treating ear mites in ducks. Also, if it is a vitamin A deficiency, what would I feed to increase that, and wouldn't it then affect all three ducks?

5dizzy duck problem Empty Re: dizzy duck problem Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:46 am

msmall

msmall

You should also check niacin deficient - we had a issue with it when we where using unmediated chick starter and botulism in water fowl which can be common if its really wet and the waterfowl are playing in manure and/or old feed infested water puddles.

6dizzy duck problem Empty Thanks, Arcticsun! Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:11 am

niglefritz

Our dizzy duck is doing better. She is a little weaker than the other two, but is no longer dizzy. They are all outside and can run in the fresh air. We treated the ears for about a week with grape seed oil in case there was a mite problem in her ears. There was no pus or anything, so we figure that we got it all in good time without causing a bunch of damage. She can keep up with the other two just fine.

I figured that an update on her condition here was in order. cheers

Thanks again...you made a little girl very happy. She would have hated to lose her duck.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum