Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Serious coyote problem

+2
Hidden River
poplar girl
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Serious coyote problem Empty Serious coyote problem Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:42 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Last Tuesday we lost a lamb to a coyote. On Wednesday the coyote tried to take one of my saxony ducks. My DH and the dog caught it in the act and scared it off but it was too far away to shoot. The duck has a very injured leg, although no blood she can't use it much. We will see if she gets better.

We have a live trap set up now. The ducks are in with my pullets and all the chickens get locked up tight each night now. The ewes and lambs were moved to a safer paddock. We have a LGD and a half grown LG puppy. Our large kathadin ram who is about 5 years we moved to the paddock where the lambs were, I thought he would be fine...

Both LGDs were home last night. Well the coyote(s) KILLED our adult ram last night. I did not realize they could do that. We have a serious problem here and my DH will be away for the next couple days.

(Hidden, if you read this Duke is fine so far. He was the father of 7 lambs (now 6) with 5 being ewe lambs.)

We have never had a coyote problem in the 5 years we have lived here. What a horrible situation.

2Serious coyote problem Empty Re: Serious coyote problem Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:29 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow sounds like you have a pack problem there. Not sure 1 coyote could bring down a mature ram. Glad Duke is ok still and a proud daddy but that is terrible you lost your main flock ram.
I hope you catch the culprit.
What kind of LGD do you have, strange that it wouldnt go after the coyote.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Serious coyote problem Empty Re: Serious coyote problem Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:37 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is very bad, sorry for your losses.

I would be sitting in the area the coyotes are coming to all night with the gun loaded.

4Serious coyote problem Empty Re: Serious coyote problem Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:44 am

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We have a coyote problem here too. I lost a trio of Speckled Sussex in broad daylight. At first I thought it was a fox but then hubby saw a coyote in the yard circling my Americana tractor. I couldn't believe it was brave enough to come so close to the house. It was only about 20 feet from the back door! It was around 5am and our lab was in the house sleeping. Everything is locked up for now. Frustrating that's for sure!!

5Serious coyote problem Empty Re: Serious coyote problem Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:54 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Our LGD is a kuvasz hidden, the puppy is a maremma. The adult hates the puppy bugging her all the time so has been wandering from home a bit...but was home last night. She is very upset so I hope stays home now. In the two years we have had her we have had no animal problems 'till this.

I am not good with a gun PC but DH will try today and tonight to get that coyote. I would think wolves if we hadn't seen it ourselves.

Thanks for the support everyone.

6Serious coyote problem Empty Re: Serious coyote problem Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh no PG! That's horrible! I sure hope you get them and that your duckling is okay. Sad

7Serious coyote problem Empty Re: Serious coyote problem Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

That makes sense polar girl that your adult was annoyed and not doing her job. I sure hope between her and your hubby they get that coyote.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8Serious coyote problem Empty Re: Serious coyote problem Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I’m sorry to hear about your losses. I hope you get that pesky coyote!

9Serious coyote problem Empty Re: Serious coyote problem Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:52 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Bad new is we have not caught the coyote so there is lots of potential for further carnage.

The silver lining is my duck is gonna be fine. Her leg is getting better! I have been giving her duck physio every day...carrying her to the pond for a supervised swim...and she is now using her leg again with a bad limp but still she is walking. I am really shocked as I honestly thought she was a lost cause.

Now to get that coyote...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum