Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Call Duck problem, need advise!

+2
Hidden River
steve
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Call Duck problem, need advise! Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:04 pm

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

i have 3 call ducks a male and 2 females. but 2 days ago i got another female call duck shes younger than the other 3. but the 3 have been picking on the newest one and havn't got any better! what do i do, take her out? leave her in and be patient?? or is there some thing else to do?? hope some one can help

2Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Re: Call Duck problem, need advise! Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Usually ducks will work it out on their own but if she is quite a bit younger I would seperate her out with one of the females and see if they can get along,then reintroduce them both back in once they get along. The trio are probably pretty bonded together so it will be hard to just introduce a new member.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Re: Call Duck problem, need advise! Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:33 pm

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks Hidden River! thats what i will do! Very Happy

4Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Re: Call Duck problem, need advise! Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:52 am

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

hey i was woundering how you sex a duck??? i may have put the male in with the new duck!!

5Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Re: Call Duck problem, need advise! Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:59 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

With call ducks it is pretty easy, pick them up. If they quack loudly it is a girl. LOL
Also boys usually have a sex feather at the tail that curves up and towards the body, but they will lose it when they are molting. If he has a raspy quack then boy.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Re: Call Duck problem, need advise! Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:15 am

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

i have gender confused ducks!!! can a female duck get the little feather curl too??? beause she makes the load female quack but has a feather curl, and the male that makes the low throaty quack but does notm have a curl!!!

7Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Re: Call Duck problem, need advise! Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Can you post a pic of them
maybe that will help with the sexing

8Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Re: Call Duck problem, need advise! Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:22 pm

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

In call ducks like hidden river said the female quacks quite loudly and it is alot higher than the males quack I would also like to see some pictures.

9Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Re: Call Duck problem, need advise! Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

sure i will post pictures! i just don't understand....this wierd little duck has a nice tail curl and a load female quack! LOL

10Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Re: Call Duck problem, need advise! Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:24 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

I had that before with one of my spotted ducks. Plumage was much like an eclipse but there was clearly a green head and a drake curl. Very clearly!!! But, quacked like a duck and was pursued by the drakes. I wondered if it was changing sexes as that is known to happen. Unfortunately s/he was one of the coon victims so we never got to see it through the season.

I also have a trio that was quite bonded and not entirely thrilled about the new introductions this year. I introduced gradually and gave lots of space and eventually they adjusted. You can clearly see the separate groups still but they mind their own business.

11Call Duck problem, need advise! Empty Re: Call Duck problem, need advise! Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:20 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Maybe moulting? I'm still learning as well but I have noticed both my drakes during moulting are hard to figure which is the male. My buffs moulted so quickly that they all looked the same I could only tell by voice and size and when not moulting it is very clear which is male and which is female by plumage.
My Cayuga drake is most definately a drake but he's moulting much slower then my buffs and so he's been without a drake curl for quite awhile but I've noticed his voice has gotten much louder and almost female in sound. His girlfriend has been hatching eggs and now has babies trailing her so I thought maybe his voice change had to do with looking after the little ones but it is quite strange. Maybe the voice change is due to moulting? Hope someone with waterfowl experience has noticed this as well or can explain the weird change. I don't have calls but I can tell my adult drakes by the obvious size difference.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum