Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter

+8
uno
chickadee
debbiej
Bowker Acres
CynthiaM
k.r.l
toybarons
Schipperkesue
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Empty Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Today I checked my birds. I looked at my two worst birds and others at random, and....

Drum roll please...

NO MITES!!!

No fleas, no lice, no chiggers, no ticks, and best of all, NO MITES!

Some have a few egg clusters on the bases of their feathers, but even they are looking dry and withered instead of plump and full. I gave some Frontline to a friend for her mite problem so I eagerly await her results.

I feel happy and relieved. A product that works. Hallelujah!

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

The friend was a little slow in getting her product on her birds. Embarassed The heat we have been having this past week was really bothering my asthma, made worse by the smoke in the air on Friday. However, she is now starting to apply the product and will post results next week.

Plus we kind of celebrated this whole weekend and got nothing done Embarassed

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Celebrating? Did you turn 21?

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

*lol* I've more than doubled that.

Actually...Saturday at 2:43 PM, we were at our bank making our final mortgage payment. After 10 years, our coop is finally our own cheers

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Woo hoo!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
A

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Defintely!!!!

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great to hear No Mites! I am waiting for the frontline to arrive so I can be 100% Mite Free too.
I have been fighting the beggars off and keeping populations low but I would like them to be gone...

Congrats Toybarons!!! Now more money to spoil your birds with Very Happy

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well Sue, that is a really good thing that I am hearing. Finally eh? something that really does work, I am stoked. I have asked for some too and it should be coming here when Rico gets the delivery and can pass forward. I feel very good about this, such a bad affliction, could have been such an easy fix, had the proper product been used, sigh. Oh well. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Did you tell us where you ordered it from? I wouldn't mind getting some for my birdies too.

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Is this Frontline the product used to keep fleas and ticks off of dogs? It also kills a number of internal worms.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, Debbie, if you want to look it was discusses at great length under a post called 'Northern Fowl Mite Part Deux'.

Bowker, I ordered mine from an American supplier on eBay. There are many, many sellers there willing to ship to Canada.

12Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:08 pm

chickadee

chickadee

That's great news Sue! Now I know who to ask if (or when) those mites come to visit!

Congratulations Tobybarons!! That must be such a wonderful feeling! With another move coming for us I think I might be 100 yrs old before we own a house! lol

13Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:35 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I have had my treatment on for a week now. Seems to be working Very Happy Prior to this I was using two sprays made for caged birds to treat lice and mites. Both worked well and I did get the mites under control. However while the sprays worked they are time consuming and because they have to be used on a weekly basis until the mites are under control, the sprays can be costly. The Frontline is a treatment that works and only needs to be maintained everything 2 to 3 months for it to keep the mites and lice off.

No contest. With the number of birds I have, I'm going with FrontLine.

14Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:37 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I also want to thankyou you guys for the nice words on us paying off our mortgage. So cool. Thanks Very Happy

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

SUe, I sincerely hope this cure 'sticks' you've been around the block and back with this battle!

Toybarons, that has to be the BEST feeling. Not quite winning the lottery, but awful close. Congratulations!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Uno, I have merely documented my journey. I was told about the Frontline when I first found out I had the little devils. It was just a matter of waiting for the product and trying it out. I am delighted that others like Toybarons who have been struggling with mites for over half a year can finally see the end to their problems.

Chicory Farm, you had a serious mite problem. Did you ever get it under control?

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:

Chicory Farm, you had a serious mite problem. Did you ever get it under control?

Hey Schipp, sure did but not without a lot of hard work and heart ache. The Dusting Powder from Dominion Vet Labratories was the ticket for me. Oral Ivomec and topical Eprinex did not work. And remember, I have/had the Red mite - the worst of them all because of their ability to live without food (the chicken's blood) for up to 7 months and because they don't live solely on the chicken but in the cracks and crevices of the coop. Pain in the #$%&*.

In the end I know I have a product that works but have to keep on them for awhile before I can feel confident they are gone for good as there is no product out there that will keep them at bay for 6-7 months. I will get Frontline and Cydectin: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (coopslave's recommendation) just to vary the products to avoid immunity from the mite.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I got my front line spray, will be treating all birds to prevent mites. I will be using this as a bi-annual treatment.

Thanks Sue Very Happy

19Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Whats the downtime on eggs/meat with Frontline? Curious. I probably won't ever use it, but in case I doooo...

20Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:53 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:Whats the downtime on eggs/meat with Frontline? Curious. I probably won't ever use it, but in case I doooo...

As this is a dog product there are no studies on this, but if you go back in my posts there should be a link to a chemist/poultry fancier who is doing a study, but his conclusion based on the info on the package for human ingestion, is you can swallow a full package yourself and not be harmed.

I don't plan on giving that a try.

21Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:55 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, and I have candled the eggs that the birds laid one and two weeks after being "Frontlined" and I had normal fertility.

That's right. The Frontline did NOT affect fertility at all.

22Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... The Final Chapter Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:58 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very interesting update. Glad it is working for you. Nice to know something else out there to use.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bump

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tara, you funny girl. I loved the bump, and boy could you get rocking to songs that had the bump good rhythm, and there are a few good ones.

Yep. I see Sue that these three posts were made back in around the Juneish area, must be time to get out the googles and look and see if there is any evidence. I had a pretty bad outbreak last year and worked my tootsie off to get them under control. I think I did. I actually did check two buff orpington broodies the other day. The best candidate for those lousey mites because of the dormant, long periods of sitting in nest boxes and they were clean as a whistle. So don't think in there, yet anyways. Tomorrow, (today swamped day) I will get out and check out the cochins. They will be the ones that tell the tale if I had eradicated the mites totally in my coops. Think I have, but then.....now we have little birds that come from all over the place, and surely they have been dropping off visitors and the chooks have picked them up. I'm definitely going to check though. Good time for bumping, threads I mean. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum