Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Choosing a breed of Roo

+8
mirycreek
Chantecler_eh?
ChicoryFarm
blackdove
Toaster
triplejfarms
chickeesmom
SerJay
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Choosing a breed of Roo - Page 2 Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:50 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have had a terrible time finding a nice ameracuana roo Sad Maybe it s just bad luck but I have had 3 and all three got the axe Evil or Very Mad

That is great about the eggs! I hope they all hatch Very Happy

27Choosing a breed of Roo - Page 2 Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:55 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Serjay,I wouldn't rule out the Ameracauna roos- they would probably be my second favorite. Mine have been perfect gentlemen and almost as tame as the EOs. They also let me pat them and pick them up. They are gorgeous birds.

28Choosing a breed of Roo - Page 2 Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh yes, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the temperament of the Euskal Oiloas (also known as Basque). Definitely another serious consideration for the list. Smile

Susan wrote:My vote would be for the Euskal Oiloas. They are so friendly, charming and beautiful. They are good to their ladies, and can be picked up and carried around by the kids. My favorite hands down!

29Choosing a breed of Roo - Page 2 Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:17 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Susan I don't know much about the EOs are they good layers? Are they ok in cold weather? We're in Northern BC so have very cold and long winters Sad we only have a couple snow piles around our yard left but my kids spent march break ice skating beside our house. My hubby has told my son he needs to pick less "pretty" breeds and better layers as my 7 duck hens consistently out layed his 22 hens (most are bantams) this winter. Dad has said he needs to sell more eggs and start helping pay for feed next winter so he'll have less money to buy replacement hens next spring. He'll keep the hens he has but banties will get a new coop and his main coop can have pretty but the hens will have to be good layers. Daddy was grumpy over winter when I bought so much feed and yet no chicken eggs for weekend breaky Smile hubby forgets he helped choose those hens with my son! He also forgets he told me I couldn't have ducks and yet he ate mostly duck eggs all winter and now wants more ducks hahaha

30Choosing a breed of Roo - Page 2 Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

Yes Buckeyes are quite cold hardy. They have nice short peacombs. I wintered my Buckeyes and Chanteclers last winter with no heat and there were no issues with frostbite.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

31Choosing a breed of Roo - Page 2 Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue May 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

EOs will get frostbite if in a really cold situation if drafty but my rooster has been out 3 winters and just lost the tip in unheated open barn in Ontario. My definition of kind involves none hardly any feathers missing on a trios hens.

Roos that we have seen be kinder to the hens are Chanteclers, Euskal oiloas, Lav Orpingtons, Lavender Ameraucanas, Dorkings

Rougher more highly sexed rooster breeds we've had are Penedesencas, Wheaten Ameraucanas, Sumatras, Welsummers, BLRWS and DUccles sometimes

I am sure I'll think of more but have to run.

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum