Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Choosing a breed of Roo

+8
mirycreek
Chantecler_eh?
ChicoryFarm
blackdove
Toaster
triplejfarms
chickeesmom
SerJay
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Choosing a breed of Roo Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:31 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So we've decided to build a new coop for my sons bantams. He loves having a mixed coop with mixed colored eggs. Of his standard sized hens from last year he has 2 blk Americauna, 1 red Americauna (lays cream eggs), 1 partridge rock, 1 ISA brown, 2 RIR, 1 Blk Cochin and 1 blue Andulusian. He has pullets coming in May partridge rocks, wellsummers, exchequer leghorns, cuckoo marans, naked necks, houdans, a blue cochin, hopefully some speckled sussex and 4 Faverolles which I'm thinking I will put in with his bantams.

So he's keeping a blue or maybe it's a splash Cochin roo that is only 2wks old now and will be a pampered mascot. What we're wondering is what breed of Roo would others suggest or warn against to find to keep his laying flock going. He loves the colors and cock a doodle dos (I'd prefer quieter!!!) of Roos. This coop is basically his and so I'd prefer a calmer breed so I won't have to worry about the kids. But he'd like a roo so next year he can hatch out his own layers. I think if he picks a red roo he'd get sex link chicks with cuckoo maran hens??? Sex link chicks would be nice not necessary.

We need calm, pretty and will produce good layers for him in future. Anyone with suggestions? We're not looking to breed for sale just keep the flock going so open to any breeds as crosses will be fine for us Smile As you can see from the list he likes variety hahaha

2Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:55 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hmmm no one has or knows of a breed that has a handsome feathered Roo that will produce not bad layers?

3Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:33 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Is he looking for a bantam or standard roo? Buff chanteclers are awesome guys.

4Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:45 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

He has 4 bantam Roos so just looking for a standard sized Roo for his layer coop. I'm just wondering which breeds to suggest he look for. He would have all Roos if we let him because he loves the roo feathering Smile I'd prefer a calmer breed that'll be good with his ladies and still be handsome for him and produce future layers. I realize not all roos in the bbeeed will be great but thought this would be fin for people to tell me about theyre fav types of Roos. Buff chanteclers were on his wish list so that is a good recommendation Smile

5Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:25 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

SerJay wrote:He has 4 bantam Roos so just looking for a standard sized Roo for his layer coop. I'm just wondering which breeds to suggest he look for. He would have all Roos if we let him because he loves the roo feathering Smile I'd prefer a calmer breed that'll be good with his ladies and still be handsome for him and produce future layers. I realize not all roos in the bbeeed will be great but thought this would be fin for people to tell me about theyre fav types of Roos. Buff chanteclers were on his wish list so that is a good recommendation Smile

i would say orpington rooster, they are good layers... Very Happy

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

6Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:51 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hmm orphingtons do look beautiful and the gentle is great but would they be ok size wise with his 6 & 7Lb hens?? Newbie question I know sorry Smile so far we've only had tiny Roos but the orphington Roos we saw last year were huge! Cochin roo will be staying so would having 2 huge Roos be a problem or better that they're about the same size??

7Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Toaster

Toaster

Do you guys have Welsummers over there? the roos are really superb - a proper farmyard rooster!

Also worth considering are Rhode Island Reds and Leghorns Very Happy

8Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:33 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes he loves his RIR hens we got as our first chicks 1yr ago. We weren't ready for keeping Roos last year though. I have read RIR Roos can be rough is this just myth? We have 4 Wellsummer pullets coming this month so finding so a welsummer roo may be a good idea are they bred for gentleness? I talked my son out of production leghorns and he settled on exchequer leghorn pullets. My worry with leghorns is the cold with those big combs. He has what I think is a OEG Roo but big comb and no points Sad He was given the roo for free and i have no idea on its age but I think he lost them to frostbite??? We spend a long time in the mid minus 30's in winter here. Leghorns are kind of flighty aren't they?

9Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Just a word of Caution , RIR Roosters are quite aggresive , wouldn't be my choise

10Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:54 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanx Prairiedog that's exactly what I'm looking for! Breeds to caution him against and breeds that he may want to look into more

11Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:56 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't have a lot of roo experience but I love my Speckled Sussex roo. My dark Brahma is a sweety too. Very Happy

12Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:01 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't have a lot of roo experience but I love my Speckled Sussex roo. My dark Brahma is a sweety too. Very Happy

13Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:08 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm glad you have 2 nice Roos Blackdove that gives me hope Smile I don't know much about brahmas I'll have to look into them and speckled sussex may also be a good way to go if you've had good luck with them.

14Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:57 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Okay, here's my two cents based on experience. Consider the size of your rooster 'on' your hens! I went and got myself a Brahma rooster for a mixed flock. Watching a 12lb rooster on your 6 and 7 pound hens is uncomfortable to watch. They are not built for the roosters weight and along with that he has a difficult time balancing and pulls a lot of feathers out trying to hang on. Make note of the weight of your smallest standard hen and consider the roosters size from there as well as temperament.

In the end, I've had to separate him from the girls for good now - a real inconvenience. He's not happy. Not fair to him but more than that, felt really unfair to the hens to keep him with them.

15Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

Well Buckeye roos are some of the nicest roos I've ever had. They seem to be naturally friendly. When I am switching roosters in the breeding pen it is a simple task to pick them up and carry them around. Buckeyes have a colour like Rhode Island Reds if you were interested in that specific colour and din't want the meanness. My Chanteclers are usually pretty laid back too sometimes they are a little flighty but not mean.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

16Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:36 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

yeah those buckeyes are kinda like the Appy of the chicken world, you can catch them on foot! The ones he has really are easy going...

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

17Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:41 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Chickoryfarm Thanx that's what I was thinking with the orphingtons as the ones I saw were HUGE! I don't know how big brahmas are as I've never seen them. Most of his hens will be 6-7lbs except his little leghorns. He doesn't care a bit about having mutts he just likes multicolored birds and eggs. So I will definately keep size in mind Thanx

Chantecler_eh. Hmm buckeyes I hadn't thought of them we'll have to do some more research but sounds like you've had great luck. That's what ideally I'd like for him. Chanties get another vote from you too so I'll definately keep them on the list Thanx for your input too!

18Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:48 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

A second vote for buckeye I will have to look into them. Are they cold hardy like the Chanties? Thanx alot everyone I'm really leary about having Roos so any help or things to consider is wonderful. So far we've been lucky and the little roos been really good but big difference between a teeny tiny pesky bantam and a standard sized roo especially with kids Smile

19Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:52 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ya, just think about your hens who have to bare the weight of him, every day, throughout the day.

Smile

20Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:52 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanx Chicoryfarm it definately makes sense and I will keep it in mind. So so far it's looking like Chanties, buckeyes and speckled Sussex are good choices Smile

21Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:34 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The Houdans we have coming are mixed sex, they are nice birds, not too big and are good layers Smile

22Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 am

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

We love our Speckled Sussex roo. He is such a calm, gentleman. When we feed treats he takes it gently from your hand and carries it to a hen and gives it to her. Then he runs back to us and gets another treat and presents it to another hen. We have never had any aggression from him towards us or anyone that has entered the coop. My EE, Gold Laced Wyandotte & Barred Rocks have all been aggressive - some are soon to be soup Wink

Good luck with the roo hunt there are nice ones out there!

Jen

23Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Okay, I'm enjoying this thread. Now this time, I'm not speaking from experience but just from what I've heard out there in the land of the chicken world, my vote is the same as Toaster's - a Welsummer roo. Good weight and good natured. Your son may have to care for its comb in the winter with it being single but a nice rooster to the hens and people, is worth the little extra time. Dan Smith might be able to help you out with getting one and keeping it comfortable over winter (I'm assuming your in Alberta).

Let us know when you decide! Very Happy

24Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My vote would be for the Euskal Oiloas. They are so friendly, charming and beautiful. They are good to their ladies, and can be picked up and carried around by the kids. My favorite hands down!

25Choosing a breed of Roo Empty Re: Choosing a breed of Roo Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:43 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh yes oops I forgot Welsummer should be one the list too Smile I haven't heard any really gentle welsummer stories but I haven't heard any bad stories either.

Amy I didnt realize houdans were good layers. We have a couple hens we picked that are supposed to be polish but I think a bit houdan. They are crazy looking they're eyes are just crazy! They lay a white egg that's somewhere in size between his Phoenix hen egg and his Araucana hens so I usually class it as a large Banty egg. Maybe I'm wrong and they aren't Houdans

HH I love the story of your speckled Sussex roo ! His first choice was an Americauna roo but I've been reading about them being more aggressive so am steering him away from them. If he wants more blue eggs we'll look into an Araucana roo or get some more POL Americauna hens. He has a Banty Wyandotte and she's super fluffy and cute but not his most personable hen or his best layer. Rocks are quite poplar around this area so knowing rock roos are a bit more aggressive is great.

I had hoped to start a great conversation as I can't be the only one nervous about adding a roo to the coop. I realize these are all just generalizations but at least it gives us a starting place in choosing Smile my son will do the choosing as this truly is his coop and he has such pride in his chickens. We will be traveling to a sale at the end of the month and he has some money leftover after he buys his hatchery chicks so I'd like some knowledge to help him make a roo choice that will keep peace in his coop and allow him to add his layers next year from his own
hens.

Oh Amy Q candled the duck eggs at school with his class yesterday and we have 7of7 eggs showing veins Smile I could only fit 5 Buff eggs as they're so big they were touching and not turning. So 5 Buff and 2 Cayugas Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum