Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chick Inn hutch

+3
BriarwoodPoultry
Hidden River
toybarons
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chick Inn hutch Empty Chick Inn hutch Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:15 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was searching for tarps when I came across a company here in Canada.
Take a look at this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Did I mention that this company is in Canada? *lol*
Oh I could SO get into Trouble Money Throw

2Chick Inn hutch Empty Re: Chick Inn hutch Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow they have some really neat stuff there!

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Chick Inn hutch Empty Re: Chick Inn hutch Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:43 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have transformed 3 car shelters into coops like that, but for much cheaper Very Happy

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

4Chick Inn hutch Empty Re: Chick Inn hutch Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:40 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very Cool Idea

5Chick Inn hutch Empty Re: Chick Inn hutch Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:43 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

BriarwoodPoultry wrote:We have transformed 3 car shelters into coops like that, but for much cheaper Very Happy

I know a few people that have. Wonderful thing too is if you wait till after a good wind storm, you can always find them being given away. One person's misfortune... What a Face

6Chick Inn hutch Empty Re: Chick Inn hutch Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:17 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

toybarons wrote:
BriarwoodPoultry wrote:We have transformed 3 car shelters into coops like that, but for much cheaper Very Happy

I know a few people that have. Wonderful thing too is if you wait till after a good wind storm, you can always find them being given away. One person's misfortune... What a Face

LOL Smile Ours are too heavy with the wood base to blow away Smile We skid them around the field and it takes a truck, far too heavy for the poor quad!

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

7Chick Inn hutch Empty Re: Chick Inn hutch Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:05 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

BriarwoodPoultry wrote:
toybarons wrote:

LOL Smile Ours are too heavy with the wood base to blow away Smile We skid them around the field and it takes a truck, far too heavy for the poor quad!

Mine are on wood bases also. Never had a problem with wind.

8Chick Inn hutch Empty Chick Inn hutch Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:28 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Beautiful! Just wondering how bear-proof they would be. We have never had so many bears as we have had this year.

9Chick Inn hutch Empty Re: Chick Inn hutch Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:39 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

cuckoomama wrote:Beautiful! Just wondering how bear-proof they would be. We have never had so many bears as we have had this year.

Just my opinion. I don't think they would be bear proof. I have heard bears breaking into wood coops with little effort.

10Chick Inn hutch Empty Re: Chick Inn hutch Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:57 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I bought a 10 x 10 dog pen w/ tarp roof and shade cloth on sides from Costco (well my good friend bought it for me Laughing )anyhow it is really nice welded wire about 2 x 4 inch spacing so not good for really little chicks but the neat thing is it is very portable, made of 8 panels that are 5 x 6 feet so fit nicely into a pickup truck.
For just under $500 I thought it was a good deal.
If you had two it would still be cheaper than those set ups. although still a lot of money I know.
My thought was that even if I didnt have chickens the pen could still be useful and/or easily resellable.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

11Chick Inn hutch Empty Re: Chick Inn hutch Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:12 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:I bought a 10 x 10 dog pen w/ tarp roof and shade cloth on sides from Costco (well my good friend bought it for me Laughing )anyhow it is really nice welded wire about 2 x 4 inch spacing so not good for really little chicks but the neat thing is it is very portable, made of 8 panels that are 5 x 6 feet so fit nicely into a pickup truck.
For just under $500 I thought it was a good deal.
If you had two it would still be cheaper than those set ups. although still a lot of money I know.
My thought was that even if I didnt have chickens the pen could still be useful and/or easily resellable.

Miry, we have those for the dogs and some of the chickens. Lovem. They are only available at Costco through the Spring. Once they are gone, they are gone til next year. I just run a 'skirt' of 1/2" chicken wire around the bottom of it and it stops the chicks from getting through until they are big enough and helps discourage diggers (I know that stuff is not strong enough for real diggers, but you could use weld mesh if that was a problem in your area and you wanted to spend more money). I actually built a little shed from pallets on one end and used the 2 back panels to split it down the middle. So I have 2 - 5x10 covered pens with 4x6 little covered sheds at the back for roosting and laying. We get a ton of snow here and I only had to shake the snow off 2 or 3 times this winter. Good value I think. Wish I could afford another one. Rolling Eyes

12Chick Inn hutch Empty Re: Chick Inn hutch Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:28 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

oh that is interesting to know coopslave, I was going to post a link but kept saying they were not longer available...I was hoping they were still selling them (not that i can need another but hey!)
One guy posted that he put his up against his house (or a wall) and thus made a 10 x 20 pen out of his 10 x 10 pen.
Because the two panels that would have gone on that outer wall were added to make it twice as long on the other side.
I love things you can configure into different shapes! Cool

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum