Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chick's leg too straight

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chick's leg too straight Empty Chick's leg too straight Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:17 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am sure there is a technical term for this, but since I've never had it happen before, I have not paid any attention.

In the last couple months I have hatched different batches of chicks and two of the batches have produced a chick with a poker straight leg.

Instead of the leg angling slightly backwards towards the butt, the leg comes out from the body and meet the ground dead straight. In the older chick, this is now causing mobility problems. Seemingly the problems are showing in the hip joints. The chick, several months old, lays down a lot and once down has trouble getting back up. His movements are awkward and uncoordinated. I keep hoping he'll grow out of it.

The new chick is just a few days old, and shows no mobility problems yet, but the leg lacks all angulation.

What is this? Does it correct?

2Chick's leg too straight Empty Re: Chick's leg too straight Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had this in a chick for the first time this year. The chick's legs just got more and more extreme. Balance was an issue and the chick was always sitting. It eventually died. Not sure why it happened, but progression of the issue was interesting.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum